Amano's wall mats?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 11-30-2004, 01:56 PM   #1
Bonsai_Swamp
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Amano's wall mats?

In some of Amano's nano tanks he uses "wall mat" instead of gravel substrate to hold plants down. Anyone know what that would be?

I'm putting together a small nano and I'd like to use something similar to keep the moss in place. I've got some plastic gutter guard (similar to 1/4" hardware cloth) but in such a small, all-glass tank I'd like something a little less obvious.
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2004, 06:18 PM   #2
misa212
Algae Grower

Not sure if this is what you are looking for....?
http://www.aquarticles.com/articles/...Moss_Wall.html
I posted this link about a month ago on aquariacentral's forums to see if anyone had tried it. It _is_ a way to control moss - just maybe not in the right direction?
misa212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 08:02 PM   #3
Gomer
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

I believe it is some sort of woven bamboo or the likes.
Old 11-30-2004, 08:20 PM   #4
Ibn
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (8/100%)

That looks very interesting and pretty simple to put together, granted that you can find the mesh. I'm considering it at the moment, since the back of my aquarium is unpainted.

If anyone has done this, let me know where you got the parts from.

TIA

Ibn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 08:54 PM   #5
Aquabobo
Algae Grower

Interesting indeed. It appears as though Home Depot may have something like this.

29 gallon planted community tank
26 gallon community tank
58 gallon reef tank
Aquabobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 10:34 PM   #6
mikeG
Algae Grower

Check Outside Lawn and Garden in Lowes. It will be near the Hardware cloth/chicken wire (same thing you are showing, only in plastic rather than metal)
mikeG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 02:09 AM   #7
Bonsai_Swamp
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by misa212
Not sure if this is what you are looking for....?
http://www.aquarticles.com/articles/...Moss_Wall.html
Thanks for the replies.

I've put together something similar out of "gutter guard" screening and Choroplast corrugated plastic. Had a devil of a time finding the plastic mesh for that project. Home Depot here sells plastic hardware cloth in 15' and 25' rolls two or three feet wide, truly a lifetime's worth of moss walls. Besides the excess length, I was worried about the (large) size of the holes and the possibility that some of my smaller loaches might work their way into the wall. (What are the chances a loach would do that, eh?)

Canadian Tire carries the gutter guard. It has smaller sized holes than the plastic hardware cloth, close to those described in the article. Only problem is that the gutter guard is only 6" in width. I ended up welding two strips together with a soldering pen to do the back of the 20 gallon.

Anyone know what "Canadian Tire" translates to in American? Lowes or Fred Meyers, perhaps?

This week's trimming hopefully will yield enough spare moss to start the wall. Should be interesting to see if it works.

All the plastic mesh I've seen so far is thick and black, and I think would be somewhat "intrusive" on the bottom of a nano. Some of the nanos pictured in the Amano book I have seem to use a finer meshed open weave grey "fabric", but it's difficult to figure out what it is from a couple of glimpses in some pictures.

The idea of woven bamboo sounds interesting. I'm going to be in Vancouver later this week, so I think I'll wander down to Chinatown and see what some of the importers down there have in stock.
Old 12-01-2004, 02:27 AM   #8
mikeG
Algae Grower

this is probably something very close to what you are using http://www.lowes.com/lkn?action=prod...=12119-339-451

I cant find a decent image of the hardware cloth, but it typically comes in 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" sizes ...
mikeG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 05:04 AM   #9
Bonsai_Swamp
Algae Grower

Same idea, but the Lowes product looks a bit fancier that what I've got. Mine is a simple black mesh with holes just slightly smaller than the diameter of a pencil.

I really must figure out how to post pictures on these forums...
Old 12-01-2004, 05:04 AM   #10
Wasserpest
Are these real?

PTrader: (175/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibn
That looks very interesting and pretty simple to put together, granted that you can find the mesh. I'm considering it at the moment, since the back of my aquarium is unpainted.

If anyone has done this, let me know where you got the parts from.

TIA
I have done this in my 10 gal (looked good with Christmas moss) and removed it a while ago. I used plastic mesh that is sold in the craft sections of Walmart, Michaels and such. I think it's used for cross-stitch patterns or something, not sure. Only a few cents each square, many colors available. The meshsize is a little on the fine side, but no problem.
Wasserpest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 05:14 AM   #11
Ibn
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (8/100%)

Awesome. Thanks for that info, WP. I'm gonna make a trip over to one of those stores in week.

Ibn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 02:54 AM   #12
eums
Algae Grower

what about using egg crate ? it has 1/2" squares but its not as flat.

but its easy to find and its stiff so you could mount it easyer ?
Rancho single stage controler on an Ebo
160 lbs of eco-complete.
milwaukee co2 with controler & 5# tank
3xLake Kutubu Rainbow Fish, 6xRummy nose tetra, 5xOtocinclus, too many Cherry shrimp 5xAmino
eums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 06:58 AM   #13
fishfry
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

I'm confused...did you originally ask about him using something on the bottom of the tank so the plants can root in it instead of gravel? Or are you talking about a moss wall for the side of the tank and not the bottom? moss walls are cool, I am putting one in my nano tank
fishfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 07:35 AM   #14
Kim Leng
Algae Grower

you can try using a wire mesh for the base and tie the mosses down by wrapping fishing line.... pack some more along the edges so they cover the edges of the wire mesh well.... mesh with a 4mm gap can be found at many hardware shops...... easy to cut with wire snips....

alternatively use a sheet of acrylic about the size you want...dripp holes for circulation...... lay the moss over it and then use the mesh from the supermarket (after tanking the garlic cloves out if you know what I mean) and secure by tying the back.
Old 12-04-2004, 05:40 AM   #15
Bonsai_Swamp
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfry
I'm confused...did you originally ask about him using something on the bottom of the tank so the plants can root in it instead of gravel? Or are you talking about a moss wall for the side of the tank and not the bottom? k
We started with nano substrate then moved to moss walls.