zeldar's mini-m 'mist' - really sticking with Iwagumi this time...
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 11-10-2010, 01:09 AM   #1
zeldar
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (62/100%)

zeldar's mini-m 'mist' - really sticking with Iwagumi this time...

Well this tank has been totally redone. I did get a great carpet of HC in the tank but the scape just bored me. Plus i have the urge to try again with CRS and could never get them to breed in a high tech co2 and ferts tank. So this tank will be low tech, but still Iwagumi. How you ask? I'm doing an entire mini pellia carpet! For the background, I'm hoping hairgrass. I just hope it grows tall without co2. I could never get hairgrass to grow over 3" with co2. Actually I may throw co2 in this tank at a very very low level, maybe 1 bubble every 3 seconds or something...

Anyway, below is the scape. Quick tank specs:
ADA mini-m 'mist'
AC20 filter (or similar)
Aquasoil 'multi'
26watt CF as high above water surface as it will go
mini pellia and hairgrass
ottos and CRS eventually

I am going to start the tank with DSM to get the mini pellia to attach itself to the substrate. It should only take a couple weeks max, then I'll flood the tank. Will be using 90% RO water.

Last edited by zeldar; 02-17-2012 at 09:31 PM..
zeldar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2010, 03:12 AM   #2
doubleott05
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

thoes are awsome stones where did you get them?
doubleott05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 03:35 AM   #3
MrJG
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (114/100%)

Nice dude! That main stone is a beast! Its going to be awesome with a shelf of mini pellia hanging off that side.

I wasn't sold on the mist type tanks but now that I've seen a few they are growing on me a little. It closes everything in a bit but its also a good thing as it also blocks other things outside the tank that distract from the scape.
MrJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 04:13 AM   #4
CLASSIC
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

Nice scape! Are those barnacles on the side? If so clean the rock thoroughly. And test.
CLASSIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 05:33 AM   #5
zeldar
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks double, I got them from ADG here in Houston. Contact Francis Xavier here on the forum if you are interested in buying some.

Apprec JG! The mist tanks really are cool. No need to keep messing with the vinyl black backgrounds. It really feels like there is nothing else around but the scape, if that makes sense. haha

classic, they are barnacles. I didn't even really think about it, but the stones should be alright as I've seen several other people's tanks using the same stones and haven't heard of anyone mentioning big watar paramater problems. Thanks for the heads up though, its something to monitor for sure.
Old 11-10-2010, 11:56 AM   #6
TLE041
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)

If you're trying to do a dry start you should make sure there's absolutely no water above the substrate. Otherwise you'll get algae that will be very visible when you flood the tank. If you want water to reach the upper height of the slope, just raise the front of the tank by 1-2".

Tony

My Mini-M journal

TLE041 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 01:38 PM   #7
zeldar
Planted Tank Enthusiast

No dry start, I will be filling the tank soon. I am going out of town Friday so I'll probably fill it Sunday.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:19 PM   #8
bsk
Planted Member

PTrader: (14/100%)

wow that main stone is awesome! this should turn out very nice.
bsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 07:41 PM   #9
Loachutus
Planted Member

PTrader: (12/100%)

Mr. Z, I love your go BIG philosophy! You've got an great eye for that.

Now you got me hooked on 2 of your tank threads. Looking forward to the evolution.
Loachutus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 03:59 AM   #10
MARIMOBALL
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

WOW the stones hasve amazing detail.

http://socalaquascapers.com/
MARIMOBALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 04:27 AM   #11
zeldar
Planted Tank Enthusiast

A big thanks to bsk, loach, and marimo!!

I went ahead and filled the tank last Thursday night. I was going to wait until this week but I had gotten my paintball co2 filled and said why not. I've been out of town all weekend and just got back tonight. Everything looks pretty good with the tank, I've had some bad luck with aquasoil in the past, but for now the powder seems to be fine. I maybe should have waited to fill the tank to give the MP some time to attach itself to the stone because the majority of it is floating around. There is some still in the cracks so it should still eventually get the cascade look I was going for, just might take longer than I wanted.

I did add some other plants since the last pics. In the background is Lilaeopsis brasiliensis and an extremely long type of hairgrass. Some of it that I received was over a foot long! However, I just added the rhizome so it will be growing from scratch. We will see how it works in this tank.

Old 12-04-2010, 02:48 AM   #12
zeldar
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Just a growth update. The HC is really doing well. This is by far the fastest I've grown HC. Usually it takes forever to get set in my tanks. Not complaining. Other than that, just normal business. The rocks are getting some light green algae which I actually like.

look at that hc go

this crazy hairgrass grows at an absurd rate. its almost to the water surface. im starting to think its gonna be to much for this small of a tank.
Old 12-06-2010, 01:55 AM   #13
Fat Guy
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

Lovely setup. Awesome rock. I'm waiting to get my mini m soon. I've been contemplating some type of hairgrass mixed with HC, but it looks like the hairgrass could really dominate the tank. Anyway, I''m looking forward to seeing how yours turns out.

Best,

el g
Old 12-06-2010, 03:06 AM   #14
beedee
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

nice dude, that growth is off the hook!!
Old 12-21-2010, 08:01 PM   #15
zeldar
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Appreciate the kind words Fat guy and beedee. Fat guy, yea im sure the hairgrass will mingle with the HC but thats alright with me. I want it to look natural so a little mixing i can tolerate. That giant type hairgrass is really sprouting upwards. Its about an inch out of the water already. i was hoping it would lay down once it hit the water surface but its just goin straight up. Its very straight, hard grass not like normal hairgrass that is wavy and soft to the touch. If it doesnt start to get bushier, i am going to have to remove it becuase it just looks to awkward as straight as it is.

In other news, algae is coming on strong. Before taking the pictures, all four walls of the tank were solid green. Looks like I missed a spot up front when cleaning, lol. Now that the ammonia is almost gone (.25ppm), I added a couple amanos to try to keep the algae at bay. Its really makin the HC and HM look nasty. Almost looks like its melting, but thats just a thin layer of algae. Hopefully its just the new tank algae, and will go away with time. I also threw in an assassin snail just because.

I am still planning on adding about 6 clown killies once the background plants really grow in so they have some cover. THen also might add a couple amanos to complete the stocking.

this is the hairgrass i was talking about.

all 3 residents