DIY PAR meter, Yeah you heard me - Page 36
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 04-21-2013, 07:24 PM   #526
mistergreen
No more Bow ties

PTrader: (13/100%)

ok, I made one,
and here are the numbers

spiral cf
at 6"
PAR- 57.5 CEP - 50

t5-ho
at 9"
PAR - 167.5 CEP - 176

My numbers check out.

Oh, I just realized the max output for this is 1391 my bad so this won't work effectively for outdoor readings. The analog input range for the arduino or ATMega is 0-1023.
mistergreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2013, 07:21 PM   #527
Nothingman

PTrader: (0/0%)

Hi mistergreen, have you measured any bulbs that is designed especially for plants ? I played with photodiode that you are using for your project. Thought about ways to calibrate this thing and stumbled across Sylvania FAQ in which they write about PAR to lux conversion factors for different bulbs (including their own bulbs):
http://assets.sylvania.com/assets/do...9ca74348ca.pdf
In that FAQ document they state, that Cool White factor is 0.013 and GRO (Sylvania Gro-Lux) is 0.030 . So i bought Grolux and found out that actual value that gives photodiode illuminated with Grolux is almost the same as the value that Cool White bulb emits at same lux value. But in FAQ Sylvania say that Grolux should emit ~2.3 times more umol/m-2/s-1 at same amount of lux (0.030/0.013 = 2.3). I don't have real PAR meter and was willing to calibrate my sensor using several bulbs with known lux factors, such as Grolux. But now I am confused why there is no marginal difference between daylight bulb and bulb for plants, maybe the photodiode for emphasized blue and red spectrum bulbs is not that great after all, or maybe Grolux is just a marketing trick and actually does not give so much advantage in PAR ? That is why I would like to know if you tried comparing values between household bulbs and special bulbs.
Sorry for my english, i hope you understood what i mean
Nothingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:11 PM   #528
mistergreen
No more Bow ties

Ok, I'm rewriting the 'firmware' for this meter, correcting it so the max value would be 2000par.

While I'm at it do you guys want some indoor and outdoor functionality? Like if PAR is less then 500, it'll be for indoor (fluorescence) , and above, it'll adjust mathematically for Sun light. We know that it should be 10% more in output since my apogee sensor is calibrated for indoor.

Last edited by mistergreen; 04-30-2013 at 09:31 PM.. Reason: ---
Old 04-30-2013, 10:08 PM   #529
O2surplus
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post
Ok, I'm rewriting the 'firmware' for this meter, correcting it so the max value would be 2000par.

While I'm at it do you guys want some indoor and outdoor functionality? Like if PAR is less then 500, it'll be for indoor (fluorescence) , and above, it'll adjust mathematically for Sun light. We know that it should be 10% more in output since my apogee sensor is calibrated for indoor.
I think that modding the firmware to include a mode for outdoor use is a good idea. Since there's still plenty of space on the 16 x 2 display, could you include a few characters to distinguish between indoor & outdoor reading modes? Like maybe "indoor mode" & "outdoor mode"? LOL I can see instances where knowing what mode the CEP was in, could save some confusion for the end user.
500 PAR may be a little low, how about an even 1000 before switching modes? ( You gotta "idiot proof" this thing for use by people.......... people like me Lol)
225 Gal, Glass "Reef Ready" w/ twin Iwaki Pumps & 2 Ocean Clear inline filters. Custom 320 watt LED Lighting system utilizing a 6' Maker's Heat Sink, 12 BridgeLux Vero 18's,3 purpose built 5 channel A6211 Led driver/Controllers, and a 20lb CO2 system w/ Milwaukee Ph Controller.
O2surplus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:53 PM   #530
mistergreen
No more Bow ties

Quote:
Originally Posted by O2surplus View Post
I think that modding the firmware to include a mode for outdoor use is a good idea. Since there's still plenty of space on the 16 x 2 display, could you include a few characters to distinguish between indoor & outdoor reading modes? Like maybe "indoor mode" & "outdoor mode"? LOL I can see instances where knowing what mode the CEP was in, could save some confusion for the end user.
500 PAR may be a little low, how about an even 1000 before switching modes? ( You gotta "idiot proof" this thing for use by people.......... people like me Lol)
heh, We should have built a switch just to tell the processor indoor or outdoor.
I think I'll just have an indoor firmware and an outdoor firmware version. The user will have to tell me which and I'll upload it when needed.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:34 AM   #531
xmas_one
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)

I messed with the pot indoor and outdoor. Your meter always reads 2 to 3 times too high. Just because you calibrated it to a cfl doesn't mean that it is going to give correct numbers for other readings. You seem to miss the point on this. Maybe I can send it back to you and you can send me a new one once you figure things out. Don't sell us your beta junk.

Last edited by xmas_one; 05-02-2013 at 06:55 AM.. Reason: being a nice guy
xmas_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 02:59 PM   #532
jarvitron
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default DIY PAR meter, Yeah you heard me

Wow. What a jerk.
jarvitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:04 PM   #533
mistergreen
No more Bow ties

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmas_one View Post
I messed with the pot indoor and outdoor. Your meter always reads 2 to 3 times too high. Just because you calibrated it to a cfl doesn't mean that it is going to give correct numbers for other readings. You seem to miss the point on this. Maybe I can send it back to you and you can send me a new one once you figure things out. Don't sell us your beta junk.
Well, if you want a refund, just send it back (undamaged)! There are other people who gladly would want one and thanks for being a stand up guy and posting your complaint in public rather than pming me.

ps. your statements doesn't help me at all. I'll ask again. What lights are you reading? WHat is your reference? What PAR meter are you using and how old is it? Old PAR meters need to be calibrated. This DIY meter will need to be re-calibrated over time too.

Last edited by mistergreen; 05-02-2013 at 03:39 PM.. Reason: ..
Old 05-02-2013, 05:14 PM   #534
mistergreen
No more Bow ties

ok, with the ugliness out of the way.

I took O2Surplus' advice and added both indoor and outdoor onto the same LCD screen. It looks good and easy to read. The serial output will be ('indoor,outdoor') e.g. (100,103). You'll have to parse out the value by the delimiter ','.

Old 05-02-2013, 05:29 PM   #535
2wheelsx2
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

That's cool.

I just wanted to add my 2c that I got one and am very happy with it. For those who want to get and Apogee and pay the price just go and get that. Why complain about a DIY that someone else did for you at no profit? Sheesh...
Filstar pimp #59 (shhhh on the Eheim)
2wheelsx2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:13 PM   #536
audioaficionado
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

I got one of the first run units. I'm ecstatic that I got it. Don't need the outdoor reading function, but it's awesome that these guys are going to include it from now on. Why the hate?

45 gal tall high-tech : 2-23-12 update
Complete CO2 Leak Test : How to build a CO2 regulator

Never argue with a fool. Onlookers often can't tell the difference.
Growing older is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My advice is free and worth every penny.
audioaficionado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:59 PM   #537
mistergreen
No more Bow ties

Yeah, aquarists won't need an outdoor function. I've been getting PMs from people wanting to keep track of tomato plants and such.

I don't mind the confusion, it's part of dealing with people.
Old 05-03-2013, 01:27 AM   #538
O2surplus
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

Hey that's cool MISTERGREEN. So it shows both indoor and outdoor at the same time- I like it.
I'm going to bite my tongue, and hold in my words concerning the *&^%$*# clown that was giving you a hard time. Some people just like to complain- even if you're the one doing them the favor. Unfortunately,there's always a few like him on every online Forum.
225 Gal, Glass "Reef Ready" w/ twin Iwaki Pumps & 2 Ocean Clear inline filters. Custom 320 watt LED Lighting system utilizing a 6' Maker's Heat Sink, 12 BridgeLux Vero 18's,3 purpose built 5 channel A6211 Led driver/Controllers, and a 20lb CO2 system w/ Milwaukee Ph Controller.

Last edited by O2surplus; 05-03-2013 at 01:31 AM.. Reason: no need for an online "beat down"- yet
O2surplus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 01:48 AM   #539
mistergreen
No more Bow ties

Quote:
Originally Posted by O2surplus View Post
Hey that's cool MISTERGREEN. So it shows both indoor and outdoor at the same time- I like it.
I'm going to bite my tongue, and hold in my words concerning the *&^%$*# clown that was giving you a hard time. Some people just like to complain- even if you're the one doing them the favor. Unfortunately,there's always a few like him on every online Forum.
Thanks. The funny thing is I was going to suggest him sending it back to me to see what the issue is but now, I'd just give him his money back and be done with him. I'm not doing this for the money, lol. I could care less.

I'll just let people read his posts and make up their own minds about him.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:18 PM   #540
xmas_one
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)

Sorry if my last post was a little gruff, but I was pretty upset at the time. OK, so here's the deal. After testing the meter against known Finnex values on two different lights, I'm seeing the values are still 2 to 3 times as high as Finnex's published data. I purchased another DIY meter from a different builder here on TPT. Testing against the Finnex values the new meter was accurate to +/- 5%, I'd call that good enough. Now that I had something to calibrate to I decided to "fiddle with the pot" to my surprise to pot was already turned down as low as it could go. I'll give you credit in that it was reading 55 at 6" from the CFL, but as soon as you use a different source, the numbers begin to rapidly increase from reality. I called around and found a hydroponics shop that had an Apogee MQ200 that they said I could use in the store. We ran all three meters together with MH, T5HO, and CFL sources. Again your meter only gave decent readings with the CFL, but with the other lighting sources and your meter was again reading two to three times higher than both the "other DIY" meter and the Apogee. I guess I can't really be too upset if you intended this meter to be specifically used on that particular CFL configuration. I know now for a fact after my last posting that I am not the only one having this issue with the meter. I would like to encourage others who have the meter to compare it with a legit PAR meter and see what the results are. The thing that kinda burned me was that since the pot was turned all the way down, you either did not test the unit, or you tried to trim it down so that the high readings would not be as glaringly obvious. Again, I apologize for the derail and my prior rudeness. If you would please PM me your address I will send the meter back.
xmas_one is offline   Reply With Quote