DIY PAR meter, Yeah you heard me - Page 33
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2013, 02:27 PM   #481
mistergreen
No more Bow ties
 
mistergreen's Avatar
 
PTrader: (13/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 14,049
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzaninov View Post
Construction and testing of an inexpensive PAR sensor:
http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc...=rep1&type=pdf
yup, that's where this project started, or something similar.

Hey, I built 6 sensors over the past weekend. I'll calibrate them this weekend.
mistergreen is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-05-2013, 03:58 PM   #482
bhazard451
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: NY
Posts: 51
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post
yup, that's where this project started, or something similar.

Hey, I built 6 sensors over the past weekend. I'll calibrate them this weekend.
Looking forward to seeing the results.
bhazard451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:30 AM   #483
dzaninov
Newbie
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: New York
Posts: 4
Default Hamamatsu G1118

Do you know where to buy Hamamatsu G1118 in the USA ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post
yup, that's where this project started, or something similar.

Hey, I built 6 sensors over the past weekend. I'll calibrate them this weekend.
dzaninov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:18 AM   #484
mistergreen
No more Bow ties
 
mistergreen's Avatar
 
PTrader: (13/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 14,049
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzaninov View Post
Do you know where to buy Hamamatsu G1118 in the USA ?
read from this post down
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...9&postcount=40

you have to call up the US Hamamatsu division. They're in Jersey but it's not practical dealing with them. That's why I used the publicly available photo diode instead.
mistergreen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:34 AM   #485
mistergreen
No more Bow ties
 
mistergreen's Avatar
 
PTrader: (13/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 14,049
Default

Hey, I'll post 5 meters up in the 'For Sale' sometime in the afternoon tomorrow EST when I'm back from a meeting

Last edited by mistergreen; 02-11-2013 at 01:15 AM.. Reason: --
mistergreen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:58 PM   #486
dzaninov
Newbie
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: New York
Posts: 4
Default Hamamatsu G1118

I just got a quote for minimum quantity of Hamamatsu G1118 from Hamamatsu in Middlesex, NJ. Minimum quantity is 5 pieces for $18.80 a piece + shipping. They also have to order it from Japan which will take additional 2 to 8 weeks. I do not want to buy 5 pieces and I wanted to check if you want to buy 3 and I would take 2 for myself. If not I will just tell them to cancel the order as $100 for this is too much for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post
read from this post down
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...9&postcount=40

you have to call up the US Hamamatsu division. They're in Jersey but it's not practical dealing with them. That's why I used the publicly available photo diode instead.
dzaninov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:13 PM   #487
mistergreen
No more Bow ties
 
mistergreen's Avatar
 
PTrader: (13/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 14,049
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzaninov View Post
I just got a quote for minimum quantity of Hamamatsu G1118 from Hamamatsu in Middlesex, NJ. Minimum quantity is 5 pieces for $18.80 a piece + shipping. They also have to order it from Japan which will take additional 2 to 8 weeks. I do not want to buy 5 pieces and I wanted to check if you want to buy 3 and I would take 2 for myself. If not I will just tell them to cancel the order as $100 for this is too much for me.
No, I don't need it anymore. They are a hassle. I think you need to be a business to buy them too from what I can remember.

The sale is up.
mistergreen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:21 PM   #488
dzaninov
Newbie
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: New York
Posts: 4
Default

Ok.
They did not seem to care that I am not a company and did not ask to do a background check. The only problem for me is that the price is way to high unless somebody needs it too. At this price I would rather just buy the Apogee sensor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post
No, I don't need it anymore. They are a hassle. I think you need to be a business to buy them too from what I can remember.
dzaninov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:18 PM   #489
mistergreen
No more Bow ties
 
mistergreen's Avatar
 
PTrader: (13/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 14,049
Default

Oh, I don't think we mentioned this but O2Surplus build in a FTDI connection into the meter. You can get a usb/ftdi adaptor and read the values from your computer, or read from your favorite microcontroller.

Last edited by mistergreen; 02-12-2013 at 05:55 PM.. Reason: --
mistergreen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:33 PM   #490
O2surplus
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
O2surplus's Avatar
 
PTrader: (4/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: yorba linda, ca.
Posts: 591
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post
Oh, I don't think we mentioned this but O2Surplus build in a UART connection into the meter. You can get a usb/uart adaptor and read the values from your computer, or read from your favorite microcontroller.

Actually- A USB/FTDI adapter is what's needed to make the connection. The adapters are widely available anywhere that Arduino parts/shields are sold.
__________________
225 Gal, Glass "Reef Ready" w/ twin Iwaki Pumps & 2 Ocean Clear inline filters. Custom 320 watt LED Lighting system utilizing a 6' Maker's Heat Sink, 12 BridgeLux Vero 18's,3 purpose built 5 channel A6211 Led driver/Controllers, and a 20lb CO2 system w/ Milwaukee Ph Controller.
O2surplus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:54 PM   #491
mistergreen
No more Bow ties
 
mistergreen's Avatar
 
PTrader: (13/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 14,049
Default

right, oops, I got uart in the brain with another component.

Set the serial baud to 115200 to get the data through.

Last edited by mistergreen; 02-12-2013 at 06:14 PM.. Reason: ...
mistergreen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:29 PM   #492
Wolf19
Planted Member
 
Wolf19's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Calgary
Posts: 221
Default

Hey gents,

When is the next batch on for sale?
Wolf19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:41 PM   #493
mistergreen
No more Bow ties
 
mistergreen's Avatar
 
PTrader: (13/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 14,049
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf19 View Post
Hey gents,

When is the next batch on for sale?
Whenever I'm free. I still have ~14 more to build. After that, that's it for me.
mistergreen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:53 PM   #494
O2surplus
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
O2surplus's Avatar
 
PTrader: (4/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: yorba linda, ca.
Posts: 591
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post
Whenever I'm free. I still have ~14 more to build. After that, that's it for me.
14 more to go.... LOL. We've created a monster, and I'm sorry. I won't point a soldering iron in your direction again.... unless you ask me to! LOL
__________________
225 Gal, Glass "Reef Ready" w/ twin Iwaki Pumps & 2 Ocean Clear inline filters. Custom 320 watt LED Lighting system utilizing a 6' Maker's Heat Sink, 12 BridgeLux Vero 18's,3 purpose built 5 channel A6211 Led driver/Controllers, and a 20lb CO2 system w/ Milwaukee Ph Controller.
O2surplus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:19 PM   #495
mistergreen
No more Bow ties
 
mistergreen's Avatar
 
PTrader: (13/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 14,049
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by O2surplus View Post
14 more to go.... LOL. We've created a monster, and I'm sorry. I won't point a soldering iron in your direction again.... unless you ask me to! LOL
lol, it's actually pretty easy now. It should go pretty fast. By the way, the meter you build is quality stuff.
mistergreen is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Planted Tank LLC 2012