DIY PAR meter, Yeah you heard me - Page 30
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 06-27-2012, 04:10 AM   #436
Chlorophile
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

I wonder what you could do with 3 sensors, each with their own cellophane color filter on them!

Old 06-27-2012, 04:49 AM   #437
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (74/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post
... You can go ahead and build the sensors. This filter isn't a big deal since Nobody has odd color bulbs. It's out of curiosity. The range of human perception seems to work fine.
I agree. Since you calibrate the meter it will be plenty accurate for all of the commonly used planted tank bulbs. If this was for lab use, where very accurate measurements of nearly equal PARs was needed, then it could be a problem. When I was playing with the PAR meter two days ago I noticed just how sensitive it is to very small mistakes. I don't think I could do a calibration that I would swear was accurate to better than 10%. To do that I would want some kind of fixture that held the PAR sensor very precisely where it was supposed to be.
Old 06-27-2012, 03:09 PM   #438
O2surplus
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

OK, I'll go ahead and build them with the original materials. I've got a 5 day weekend coming up, so I should have some time to get a few built.
225 Gal, Glass "Reef Ready" w/ twin Iwaki Pumps & 2 Ocean Clear inline filters. Custom 320 watt LED Lighting system utilizing a 6' Maker's Heat Sink, 12 BridgeLux Vero 18's,3 purpose built 5 channel A6211 Led driver/Controllers, and a 20lb CO2 system w/ Milwaukee Ph Controller.
O2surplus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 04:34 PM   #439
theblondskeleton
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

If you wanted more precision in the filter, check out Rosco gel filters (or GAM for that matter). If you check out the website, you can order a swatchbook that has small samples of each filter with a card showing the spectral energy distribution curve for each filter. Takes the guesswork out. These should also be available at any stage/film/DJ lighting outlet. The swatch is about 2"x4" so you could probably equip all 20 units with one of these from one swatch book. Here's a link:

http://www.rosco.com/filters/roscolux.cfm#colors
theblondskeleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 04:48 PM   #440
O2surplus
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblondskeleton View Post
If you wanted more precision in the filter, check out Rosco gel filters (or GAM for that matter). If you check out the website, you can order a swatchbook that has small samples of each filter with a card showing the spectral energy distribution curve for each filter. Takes the guesswork out. These should also be available at any stage/film/DJ lighting outlet. The swatch is about 2"x4" so you could probably equip all 20 units with one of these from one swatch book. Here's a link:

http://www.rosco.com/filters/roscolux.cfm#colors

Hey thanks for that link. They've got a ton of color choices there and good documentation. Now the question becomes what color filter would be the best choice? If PAR is normally found in the red and blue regions of visible light, wouldn't we want to use a green/yellow filter to reject NON Par producing wavelengths? Or is it the other way around and we'd use red/blue?
225 Gal, Glass "Reef Ready" w/ twin Iwaki Pumps & 2 Ocean Clear inline filters. Custom 320 watt LED Lighting system utilizing a 6' Maker's Heat Sink, 12 BridgeLux Vero 18's,3 purpose built 5 channel A6211 Led driver/Controllers, and a 20lb CO2 system w/ Milwaukee Ph Controller.

Last edited by O2surplus; 06-27-2012 at 04:50 PM.. Reason: brain lock!
Old 06-27-2012, 04:51 PM   #441
mistergreen
No more Bow ties

You'd want the magenta or lavender filters like the cellophane I used. That spectral graph is what plants look for.

But since we don't use yellow and green light bulbs over our tanks, the regular sensor without the filter will work fine, not super accurate.
mistergreen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 05:25 PM   #442
O2surplus
Planted Tank Enthusiast

We don't use yellow and green bulbs per se, but those two colors are included in sources of "white light". So don't they contribute enough energy to raise the output of the photo diode and throw off the actual PAR value?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post
You'd want the magenta or lavender filters like the cellophane I used. That spectral graph is what plants look for.

But since we don't use yellow and green light bulbs over our tanks, the regular sensor without the filter will work fine, not super accurate.
Old 06-27-2012, 05:59 PM   #443
theblondskeleton
Planted Tank Enthusiast

You would use a lavender colored filter, which filters out green and amber to a higher degree than the red and blue. A low saturation filter would likely be best, as it maintains a higher amount of red/blue, but the compromise is more green/yellow gets through. Typical balancing act
Old 06-27-2012, 06:29 PM   #444
mistergreen
No more Bow ties

Quote:
Originally Posted by O2surplus View Post
We don't use yellow and green bulbs per se, but those two colors are included in sources of "white light". So don't they contribute enough energy to raise the output of the photo diode and throw off the actual PAR value?
Yes, they are included in white light but only a portion and not the total. That's why I wanted to play with the cellophane. Could the sensor be more accurate with the lavender filter? Sure.
Does it need it for the hobby? Not sure. Depends on cost and such.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:12 PM   #445
mistergreen
No more Bow ties

Oh, if you want to play with it, go for it. You have the apogee sensor to do some comparisons.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:14 PM   #446
theblondskeleton
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Rosco's R52 "light lavender" looks like it would be an excellent choice.

http://www.rosco.com/filters/SED.cfm?titleName=R52:%20Light%20Lavender&imageNam e=../images/filters/roscolux/52.jpg

It retails around $7.00 for a single 18"x24" sheet. That would go a very long way, haha... I have some lying around somewhere as I use this color a lot. I could send a small sample if you want to play around and see if it makes any difference.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:27 PM   #447
mistergreen
No more Bow ties

Here's the photosynthesis spectrum for comparison

Old 06-27-2012, 07:51 PM   #448
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (74/100%)

This looks like the one that would work best. Green and yellow add to the PAR, and they should do so. Removing all of those two colors leaves you with a number that isn't PAR. It looks like this filter removes about the right amount to make this comparable to the Quantum meter.
Old 07-10-2012, 05:21 PM   #449
Jeffww
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

What modifications would I need to make to measure PAR under relatively blue reef lighting?
Jeffww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 11:12 PM   #450
mistergreen
No more Bow ties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffww View Post
What modifications would I need to make to measure PAR under relatively blue reef lighting?
none.. it might be wonky if you have yellow or green light.