DIY PAR meter, Yeah you heard me - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 11-11-2010, 02:13 AM   #31
aaronbrown
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

this might help you all out at least to make the sensor http://www.colorado.edu/eeb/facultys...e_Daniel03.pdf
aaronbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2010, 02:42 AM   #32
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (74/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronbrown View Post
this might help you all out at least to make the sensor http://www.colorado.edu/eeb/facultys...e_Daniel03.pdf
Thank you! That is a very good report. It almost makes me want to justify buying a milivoltmeter.....but, not quite.
Old 11-11-2010, 03:00 AM   #33
aaronbrown
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

well i thought this would help alot of ppl out and so i thought i would do a lil research to help further this along and if it can be built cheaper than buying one thats great cause we all know how expensive the world of fish keeping is wether it be freshwater or saltwater
aaronbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 03:40 PM   #34
mistergreen
No more Bow ties

PTrader: (13/100%)

Hey, guys, I think I found a better photodiode.
http://www.alliedelec.com/search/pro...0079#tab=Specs
Cost: $3.19

It's basically, the photodiode I have but it has a IR filter in it and the resulting spectrals are:

But the problem is minimum order is 25... that's like $70+.....
hmmmm. Maybe I can look for a IR filter instead or just call up hamamatsu.
mistergreen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 03:48 PM   #35
keithy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)

mistergreen,
what data does the ardiuno gave you as an output and how do you translate that to PAR reading? I am new to electronics but would like to learn and prehaps provide some input to help out.
keithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 03:52 PM   #36
keithy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

the $3 photodiode data you provided does looks better and somewhat matches the $17 photodiode. good find.

I am very interested to find out how everything turns out. I have been reading this thread every day since it started. With Hoppy providing useful input, I have a strong feeling it will turn out good.
Old 11-11-2010, 04:06 PM   #37
mistergreen
No more Bow ties

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronbrown View Post
I looked around for the photodiode used here... I don't think they make it anymore or anything like it. The maker got bought up or something.
Old 11-11-2010, 04:15 PM   #38
mistergreen
No more Bow ties

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithy View Post
mistergreen,
what data does the ardiuno gave you as an output and how do you translate that to PAR reading? I am new to electronics but would like to learn and prehaps provide some input to help out.
All photodiode will output a small voltage when excited by light but the voltage alone is not not good enough in terms of resolution.
So what you do is apply 5Volts through it and gather the output signal from the diode (0V-5V).
Here's a typical setup (photoresistor/photodiode)

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithy View Post
the $3 photodiode data you provided does looks better and somewhat matches the $17 photodiode. good find.

I am very interested to find out how everything turns out. I have been reading this thread every day since it started. With Hoppy providing useful input, I have a strong feeling it will turn out good.
Yeah, I think it'll turn out well. I'll go ahead and get the hamamatsu diodes. I think I'll get 5 diodes for that $17. I can sell off the rest to you guys.
Old 11-11-2010, 04:19 PM   #39
keithy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

ah... now I see how its done! thanks for the quick answer. I will follow closely on the developement of the DIY PAR meter.
Old 11-11-2010, 05:55 PM   #40
mistergreen
No more Bow ties

I called up Hamamatsu, wow what a hassle. I think they'll do a background check hah...

And I had to order at least $50 worth. I think I might wind up with 15 diodes so I'll have plenty to share.
Old 11-12-2010, 01:49 PM   #41
keithy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post
I called up Hamamatsu, wow what a hassle. I think they'll do a background check hah...

And I had to order at least $50 worth. I think I might wind up with 15 diodes so I'll have plenty to share.
hmm......... first they did a 'background check' on you and then asked you to make a minimum of $50 purchase? That is outrageous!
Old 11-12-2010, 02:11 PM   #42
mistergreen
No more Bow ties

HEh, They needed me to fill out a form on the intent of my purchase... I think it's regular policy these days to make a safer world.
Old 11-12-2010, 02:15 PM   #43
keithy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post
HEh, They needed me to fill out a form on the intent of my purchase... I think it's regular policy these days to make a safer world.
For photodiodes??... maybe its more of a marketing strategy to look into new avenues they can market their products.......... just my 2 cents. Anyways, how is the design and calibration coming along? Any new developements?
Old 11-12-2010, 05:33 PM   #44
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (74/100%)

Aha! A good photodiode and and some oxidized hydrogen, and you have the makings of a powerful thermonuclear device! (Let me double check my old college physics book to confirm that.)
Old 11-12-2010, 06:55 PM   #45
mistergreen
No more Bow ties

Hah, I have no idea what kind of weapons you can make but I know photodiodes are used regularly to detect lasers.. I have heard news stories of people buying cheap components from the States and shipping them to NATO embargoed countries which is a big no-no.

In my research, I found out that a green LED, can read PAR visible light pretty darn well. The spectrum matches up but the resolution is so low I'd need an expensive millivolt meter.

Well, the conclusion on this so far is that the current photodiode is not reliable because it reads Infra Red as well. Different bulbs will have different IR output and will skew the readings. Since a photodiode is the key foundation for this, I'll wait for the correct diode to arrive and restart the calibrations.

I can worry about the cosine corrections and such later. I wouldn't even know where to get a cosine correction filter ... But from looking at the charts & graphs, I can leave it out and call it 'goodnuff'.