Making Refugium out of Clay
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 09-20-2014, 03:04 AM   #1
LWormy

PTrader: (0/0%)

Making Refugium out of Clay

Hello! Since I wanted to make a refugium for my 32 gallon goldie tank and I am kind of tight on budget, I thought about making them in clay. I want to grow some bog plants like lucky bamboo in it to reduce nitrate. I joined a local art club that allow me to use their clay unlimitedly. The idea is that the sump will sit in between the aquarium and the wall, and there are only 5 inches so it is kind of tight. The dimension will be 24"x19"x5". I will fill it with gravel and grow lucky bamboo out of it. Will that work? I am kind of concerned about the clay breaking under the pressure since there are no supports on the side. Again, this goes behind the tank so I don't care what it look like. How thick should the clay be? Should I glaze the inside of the sump? How thick should the clay be so it won't break?

Help is appreciated!
LWormy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2014, 01:24 AM   #2
lochaber
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

I don't know much about pottery/clay, but I imagine it could be done. Maybe some of the more experienced art club members could offer you some tips/advice if you explain what you are trying to do.

Otherwise, I imagine the most difficult part would be getting the container built and fired without it cracking or warping.

What do you want the refugium for? Do you just want an extra reservoir for more water volume, or are you primarily looking for some place to grow emersed plants?

I'd look around for something you could repurpose, or maybe even build something out of PVC - you could use a bunch of 3-4" verticle pipe sections, alternately connected at the top and bottom, with T's at the top uncovered for plants to grow out of. Or maybe just a short length of gutter. Or maybe one of those military 5-gallon water jugs, they might be able to fit in that gap, and you could just cut open the top to grow things out of...
lochaber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2014, 01:26 AM   #3
LWormy

I want to use it as a refugium for blackworms and also growing emerged plants to decrease the nitrate in my goldie tank. I want it to look good so I don't know if PVC pipe will work.
LWormy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2014, 01:35 AM   #4
klibs
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)

Didn't ancient civilizations used to use giant clay pots to carry stuff around in?

You should be fine. this will be a cool idea
klibs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2014, 03:12 PM   #5
mistergreen
No more Bow ties

PTrader: (13/100%)

I don't know what your design would be so I can't comment but you need a kiln to fire earth clay.

If you're making a sump, a 10G tank will costs $10. I'm not sure how clay is cheaper than that or even a plastic tub from walmart.
mistergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2014, 08:07 PM   #6
TyrannosaurusSex
Planted Member

This is a fun idea! You should check in with a pottery forum for information on how to safely pull this off. I imagine there are handy algorithms for determining minimum pot thickness for a given volume.

If this project ends up being too much of a fuss, a cheap sump can be constructed using a plastic rubbermaid container.
TyrannosaurusSex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2014, 09:09 PM   #7
mistuhmarc
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post
I don't know what your design would be so I can't comment but you need a kiln to fire earth clay.

If you're making a sump, a 10G tank will costs $10. I'm not sure how clay is cheaper than that or even a plastic tub from walmart.
OP mentioned he'll have an unlimited supply of clay, I assume that said clay is free.

In terms of nice looking, mistergreen has a point, a 10G tank would still look nice since it's not super expensive.
Old 09-23-2014, 10:09 PM   #8
mistergreen
No more Bow ties

PTrader: (13/100%)

Oh, I missed the unlimited clay part. You'd need to make it as thick as a good pot or vase. You can glaze to make it super water proof but make sure the glaze doesn't have heavy metals in it because that's poisonous to the plants, inverts, and fish.
mistergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2014, 04:54 PM   #9
DumpyDuck
Algae Grower

Sounds like a plastic container or 10 gal wouldn't work too well given OP's space constraints. (5" wide)

It has been a while since I've done much ceramic work, (and by no means am I an expert) but I would think it could be done, especially since that won't actually hold much volume given those dimensions. You'd want to glaze the inside to waterproof it, and make sure the joints of your sections are well connected, as that'd be your weak points. Also, trying to really create straight walls at those dimensions could be difficult (maybe make the slabs you want and connect then after they have dried some), as the weight of the clay will cause it to warp/droop as it dries. Also, don't make it too thick or it can explode in the kiln, but you shouldn't have to even get close to that thick, as it'd have to be over an inch thick to be a risk, and you probably don't need to be thicker than 1/2". I'm sure your pretty club can help you with the details.

Last edited by DumpyDuck; 09-25-2014 at 04:56 PM..
DumpyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.