beauty lights
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 09-07-2002, 06:11 AM   #1
mr hyde
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Hello , I'm new to this board and was wondering if anyone knows a good CF bulb that is similar in appearance to the stock bulbs that usually come with a regular flourecent fixture. The ones I'm thinking of seem to bring out the color in fish , gravel, plants, everything. The bulb looks like it has a slight pink glow to it when you look directly at the bulb. Most of the plant bulbs I've tried seem to look too yellowish to me. I have tried the 6700K bulbs and seem to get this yellowish glow. I recently tried the 9325K and it looks sort of dead looking. Is there a bulb out there that looks more like a beauty light. What about 6500K. How would this compare to a 6700K? The bulbs are so expensive to gamble on. Thought maybe you all would have the experience with this. Thanks
mr hyde is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2002, 06:40 PM   #2
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (0/0%)

You wont really notice a difference visually between 6500-6700k.

It sound slike you want light in the 18000-20000k spectrum. These are readily available and are "normally" used on reef setups. These do work well for plants, I can tell you firsthand they work (all of my tanks have 18000k bulbs)
GDominy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2002, 04:09 PM   #3
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to GulfCoastAquarian Send a message via Yahoo to GulfCoastAquarian

I know exactly the kind of bulb you're talking about. URI makes a bulb called the "Beauty Light" which has a "pink" glow to it that brings out colors in everything from fish, plants and even rocks and gravel. Coralife also makes the Colormax bulb. Here is a quote from their site...

Quote:
The Colormax Freshwater Bulb's color-enhancing spectrum will bring your aquarium vividly to life! This all-purpose fluorescent is suitable for freshwater aquariums and highly beneficial to aquatic plants.
I don't know the spectral output of either of these bulbs, but concur that they do provide a pink output. I've looked for a bulb with this type of spectral output in a Compact Flourescent arrangement and have had no success. It seems the the CF market is driven by reef keepers and most bulbs are in the blue region. I agree with you that these blue bulbs tend to wash out colors. Like a warehouse building lighting - colors appear drab and gray.

I wish they'd come out with a colormax or beauty light type bulb for us CF guys, but for now, I supplement my two 5500K PC bulbs with two GE Plant & Aquarium 40W 48" normal output flourescent bulbs, and it seems to really help the color and appearance of the tank inhabitants. You can actually see a dramatic difference as the fish swim from the front, where the GE P&A bulbs are, to the back, where the 5500K PC bulbs are.
Old 09-11-2002, 01:22 AM   #4
jus1moretank
Algae Grower

Taam Inc makes a pink cf bulb called Realux. But I have not seen them anywhere. You might want to check out their web site : www.riopump.com . There not shonw on the site but you might beable to call them and find out if someone in your area selles them. There is a ad for them just about every month in Freshwater and Marine Aquarium magazine.
jus1moretank is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2002, 01:32 PM   #5
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to GulfCoastAquarian Send a message via Yahoo to GulfCoastAquarian

Do they make the Realux in a 55W PC version? (square four pin arrangement)
Old 09-12-2002, 10:29 PM   #6
jus1moretank
Algae Grower

Yes from 9watts to 55watts. Not sure on the pins. The ad shows a straight 4 pin.
jus1moretank is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2002, 04:38 AM   #7
Kit
Algae Grower

I have that set up!

I use the following...

Realux Profesional Lighting System

Retrofit Kit: 22''
Double PL Light Fixture
For 2x40 watts or 55 bulbs
watts PL Light Bulbs

TAAM inc. is a partner along with RIO pump systems...

I was recomended it at my LFS and it is and awesome set!

just to put my 2 cents in..

Kit
Kit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.