Any Harrisburg Fish Guys/Gals around? - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Pennsylvania

Old 02-13-2011, 02:52 AM   #16
sajata
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

Downingtown exit of the PATP.

Sent from my DROIDX

Old 02-13-2011, 12:04 PM   #17
msjinkzd
Rachel O'Leary

PTrader: (204/100%)
Send a message via AIM to msjinkzd

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadetreeme View Post
Importing??? From where??? I never got to Tony's... I have heard that it was cool. Do you ever go to Gettys?? I have the feeling he would be willing to get whatever you want.

I have been going to getty's since I was a kid. Its VERY hit or miss. While the owners have good intentions, the quality is often low and they only get in for the most part bread and butter fish. They also carry dyed and injected fish, which I find very objectionable. They have a nice koi selection, but overall, I am underwhelmed by Getty's the last 5 years or so.

I import from 14 different countries 2-3x a month. My shipments come into NYC. I specialize in invertebrates and microfish as well as dwarf cichlids.
msjinkzd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 02:23 AM   #18
shadetreeme
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

That sound awsome... the only inverts I have are ghost shrimp and whisker shrimp. I had a Flower shrimp but he died 2 days after molting. I would love to get some other stuff for my tank, but am worried about compatibility with my fish. I have fish that would eat cherry shrimp, and fish that may be eaten by blue lobsters. If you have any suggestions for a heavily planted 125 gal... I would love to hear them.

shadetreeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 04:45 PM   #19
orchidman
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadetreeme View Post
Hi all.... I am in New Cumberland.
I hit TFP at least once a month because the selection is awsome.

I also like Zootopia in harrisburg. It is a small shop and the owner realy knows his stuff. They do not have the selection that a larger store will, but they can get whatever you need.
Not alot of plants, but gets some cool stems in sometimes.

I just stopped by Gettys in York for the first time yesterday. They have a nice fish room. When I was there it was a little bare, but he said that it was delivery day.
Not much in the way of plants, but still a nice place.

I am working on a couple of tanks right now and woul also like to get with other local people to share ideas.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/shadetreeme

Zootopia Petz - (717) 558-7387
7420 Derry St, Harrisburg, PA 17111

Gettys Pet Shop

2908 East Market Street, York, PA 17402 (717) 755-4913 ‎
We are pretty close! I might have to try zootopia

You can call me Bob
orchidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 04:47 PM   #20
orchidman
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by msjinkzd View Post
I have been going to getty's since I was a kid. Its VERY hit or miss. While the owners have good intentions, the quality is often low and they only get in for the most part bread and butter fish. They also carry dyed and injected fish, which I find very objectionable. They have a nice koi selection, but overall, I am underwhelmed by Getty's the last 5 years or so.

I import from 14 different countries 2-3x a month. My shipments come into NYC. I specialize in invertebrates and microfish as well as dwarf cichlids.
Where do you live? I will be looking for some GBRs in the spring, and I really wouldn't want to have to go to petco! If your close maybe I could buy some this spring.

What kind of water Params do you have for your south American cichlids? Assuming that they are the dwarf cichlids you are speaking of.

You can call me Bob
Old 02-14-2011, 05:12 PM   #21
msjinkzd
Rachel O'Leary

Hi Bob!
I am in Mount Wolf (near emigsville exit of 83).

Right now for dwarf cichlids I keep apistogramma cacautoides orange, triple red, and wild. I also have apistogramma viejita 2's, apisto baenschi, and apisto aggi tefe blues. I keep them in a relatively neutral tank environent through the use of almond leaves. Typically, the pH in those tanks is around 7ish, gh 6, kh 6ish. My tap water has a pH of 7.8, gh 10, kh 12, tds of about 180 so while its not easy to manipulate, the relatively low TDS works with me. All of my species are spawning in this adaptation of tap. I do not pretreat their tap water, but just use natural means of adding tannins to adjust things for them. I also have some l. dorsigera, though they have not spawned for me yet.

I doubt I would carry gbr's as I prefer the wild type to the line bred morphs. The wild rams i brought in a few months ago were staggeringly beautiful though fragile until full acclimated. They sold out quite quickly and once it warms up, I will likely bring in more.

I am about to start my power seller account here on this forum as well
Old 02-14-2011, 05:22 PM   #22
orchidman
Planted Tank Guru

sweet! you are only 40 minutes down the road. i would gladly buy from someone locally, than have to ship!

any kind blue rams would work for me. i might even try some apistos, but ive wanted rams for a LONG time now. so it will probably be rams.

ill try to remember you when i set my new tank up. ill shoot you a pm once its ready for fish.

i need to do some research to find out my tap water parameters, as i dont have a test kit yet. i need to do some research about gk,kh,and tds

this is cool!
Old 02-14-2011, 05:33 PM   #23
msjinkzd
Rachel O'Leary

Pick up your test kit either online from kensfish or from That Fish Place (best prices locally). I don't have a tds meter anymore, but I have all the test kits and you would be welcome to use them to get a baseline if you brought a sample over.
Old 02-14-2011, 05:44 PM   #24
orchidman
Planted Tank Guru

what kind of test kit do you have? ill have to get one eventually, so id like to start looking around. ive heard of some people being able to find tap water parameters, with things like gh and kh, on their water provider website. im going to try to find that, so i can first see if its even a possibility to get soft enough water for blue rams.

i know pH isnt really a good indicator, but my pH is around 6.5

if i cant find anything out, i might take you up on the offer thanks for offering!
Old 02-14-2011, 05:46 PM   #25
Svynx
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

+1 for msjinkzd. I was there about a week ago to pick up a few things. Definitely going back.
msjinkzd: I do have a HM digital tds/ec/temp meter. I'd be willing to trade for it if you are interested.
Old 02-14-2011, 05:47 PM   #26
orchidman
Planted Tank Guru

id also be interested in getting some inverts when it warms up.
Old 02-14-2011, 06:17 PM   #27
orchidman
Planted Tank Guru

when i called the water company, the lady only knew the " hardness" she said it was "general" anyways she said the hardness was 220 ppm. im not sure if thats relevant or not :\
Old 02-14-2011, 06:54 PM   #28
msjinkzd
Rachel O'Leary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svynx View Post
+1 for msjinkzd. I was there about a week ago to pick up a few things. Definitely going back.
msjinkzd: I do have a HM digital tds/ec/temp meter. I'd be willing to trade for it if you are interested.
absolutely always love a good trade I got in some new stuff today! Once its past qt, i will buy my power seller status on here and make a new relevant thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orchidman View Post
id also be interested in getting some inverts when it warms up.
great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by orchidman View Post
when i called the water company, the lady only knew the " hardness" she said it was "general" anyways she said the hardness was 220 ppm. im not sure if thats relevant or not :\
that is moderately hard to hard, not surprising for this area. I have well water.

The test kits I use and API (aquarium pharmaceuticals) liquid drop test kits for gh and kh. I also use their freshwater master kit (which has high range ph and regular pH; good for this area as well as ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate). They seem to be quite accurate.

You might find this article helpful to understand water hardness a bit more: http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/CO2/khgh.html
Old 02-14-2011, 07:40 PM   #29
orchidman
Planted Tank Guru

thanks for the link! i actually just read it! it was very helpful.

do you think my water hardness is to high, or is it possible ( whilst keeping my sanity ) to lower the hardness to an acceptable level? or should i just get over myself and choose a different fish?
Old 02-14-2011, 08:03 PM   #30
msjinkzd
Rachel O'Leary

I would honestly work with what you have. Most domestic fish will do just fine regardless. Your water is not extreme at all.