New Fluval CO2 Kit - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 12-21-2010, 03:02 PM   #31
Cento
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Thanks for the reply sailnut.

I only ask because it doesn't take a mathmagician (pun intended) to figure out that, though the initial cost is comparatively low, in the LONG RUN the fluval CO2 replacement's are not economically efficient (here they run $12-$15 per cartridge).

So, I intended, not necessarily to attach it to a 10lbs or even a 5lbs tank, but to try to adapt it to a slightly larger cylinder (9-12oz) that is refillable and lasts a little longer then the 2-3 of the 88 gr.

I was just curious to see if anyone who purchased the kit some time ago had already tried or looked into adapting it.

Tomorrow I'll take a day to drive around to some shops (paintball, bike, plumbing, auto parts, etc) and ask around about adaptors and I'll maybe send Fluval an email asking what the regulator is rated.

Cento

PIMP #427 - 2 x 2213, 1 x 2206, 1 x Surface Extractor
Cento is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2010, 05:26 PM   #32
sailnut
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

I understand that a 88g to BB adapter will work (from ad's that is) If it does let me know.
sailnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 10:56 PM   #33
Senior Shrimpo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)

Anyone know of a solenoid that would work for this? I searched it and all I got was for Canadian solenoids.
Senior Shrimpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 12:11 AM   #34
hockey9999
Planted Member

There is a thread here about it.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/eq...l-co2-kit.html

I am not sure if anyone found a solution though.
hockey9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 12:53 AM   #35
Senior Shrimpo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yep, checked it, there wasn't one. Darn. I don't understand why you can't just put the system on a timer (without the solenoid) to shut off, or manually unplug it.
Old 12-23-2010, 12:56 AM   #36
hockey9999
Planted Member

Without a solenoid, there is nothing to put on a timer or unplug. The only electrical part of a co2 system, to the best of my limited knowledge, is the solenoid or a controller (pH controller?) in the really fancy systems.
Old 12-23-2010, 01:45 AM   #37
Senior Shrimpo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Huh. I'm totally new to co2. So I'd need a solenoid to put the co2 on a timer. Why doesn't the fluval system come with one? I'll try to use all m brain power to find a solenoid that works with this system, and when I do, I'll share my findings here.
Old 12-23-2010, 02:02 AM   #38
hockey9999
Planted Member

I am new to co2 as well, but have done some research..

From what I understand, there are 2 kinds of solenoids.

One kind would screw directly in to to the regulator via 1/8" (I think) threads. I'm not sure if the hose barb on the Fluval Regulator is removable, or if it has 1/8" threads if it is removable. It looks like it from the pictures, I haven't had the opportunity to use mine yet so I don't know for sure.

The other type of solenoid is in-line, meaning there are hose barbs on both sides of it. This kind should work with any regulator.

This site has an expensive solenoid that works both inline and mounted to the regulator. http://www.aquariumguys.com/co2-solenoid-valve.htmlI am sure there is something out there that is more cost effective.

This one actually looks like it would work as well. http://www.marinedepot.com/Replaceme...CORERP-vi.html

I have absolutely zero direct experience with solenoids, I am just going off of what I have found out by Googling..so I could be completely off base here.

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable them me will chime in!

EDIT--

Looks like I am wrong!

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanm222 View Post
Make sure there isnt any tubing before the solenoid, as when it shuts off pressure is going to build up and will cause the tubing to burst. I made that mistake when i tried to modify my pierce co2 cartridge set up. Make sure its regulator>needle valve>solenoid then tubing.
Old 12-23-2010, 02:10 AM   #39
TLE041
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey9999 View Post
I'm not sure if the hose barb on the Fluval Regulator is removable...
It is removable...

I'm wondering if a solenoid could be attached directly to this nipple.

Tony

My Mini-M journal

TLE041 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 02:13 AM   #40
hockey9999
Planted Member

I think that is just the collar that secures the tubing onto the nipple. I think that in order to connect the solenoid directly to the regulator, you would need to actually unscrew that entire part, nipple and all, from the body of the regulator. I could definitely be wrong though

I will finally be able to play with my set-up on Christmas, it's a gift So I will try to figure out more then.

Take a look at how this solenoid is connected to the regulator. It looks like it is using a male to male adapter..

Does anyone know if a needle valve is a requirement in this equation?

Old 12-23-2010, 03:24 AM   #41
Senior Shrimpo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Huh, you guys beat me to it but yes, I think hockey is right. I think that if you attach the solenoid to the nipple than it could work.

edit: I've got the co2 kit coming and might order the second solenoid hockey put up to test it out.
Old 12-23-2010, 12:01 PM   #42
Cento
Planted Member

Well, as Hockey said, there already is a thread about trying to attach a solenoid to the Fluval CO2 regulator.

IMO, I think the main concern to make this a win-win, affordable option is to try to find a way to get this little sucker on small refillable tanks (9oz-12oz). I didn't get a chance to drive around yesterday looking for the adaptors.

I think sailnut who mentioned this earlier, was referring to this adaptor that may work:

http://www.rap4.com/paintball/os/88g...r-tank-adapter

Because I'm an impatient, petulant bugger, I'm gonna try and call around my city to see if I can go get it today in person instead of ordering it. I also want to try it before I buy it, to make sure its gonna work.

If it does, depending on what size aquarium your supplying the CO2 (mines a 10gal), you can leave the CO2 running 24/7 without any real concerns. Refills are about $5-$7, and the CO2 cylinder (depending on size), could last a month or two.

Cento

PIMP #427 - 2 x 2213, 1 x 2206, 1 x Surface Extractor
Cento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 01:22 PM   #43
sailnut
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

I latest research leads me to conclude that with one exception there are NO MALE to FEMALE 88g to Paintball adapters. The only exception is advertised on a site which sells a very expensive co2 powered engraving stylus. This part will only be sold as part of tool transaction ($1,000+) and costs $38 which given the fact that the Fluval is selling for $45 strikes me as non economic!
In summary here are the options from cheapest to most expensive with their liabilities.
1: Do it-your-self (yeast/sugar) cheap! Low pressure, messy, variable short term output.
2: Fluval 88g cheap excellent engineering readily available expensive cartridge. Expensive to run in the longer term.
3: Pearce... etc More expensive then Fluval. Odd ball cartridge.
4: DIY Using refilliable paintball tank and high pressure needle valve. Cheap (about as much as Fluval) refils are economic. Difficult to adjust. Full tank pressure on valve (no regulator)
5: Traditional regulator. Reliable, cheapest to run. Most expensive, tank and regulator are bulky.

Chose your poison...!
sailnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 01:44 PM   #44
hockey9999
Planted Member

What makes you think that the paintball adapter in post # 42 won't work? Have you had an opportunity to try one?

I think the easiest way to find out if it will work without actually buying the adapter is to buy the 88g canisters that Walmart sells. That adapter is designed to adapt a regular paintball tank to an airgun that uses the walmart/airsource 88g canisters.

I will try to get to Walmart today and pick them up, a 2 pack was about $10. If they don't fit, I at least know Walmart will take them back. I won't have the co2 kit until Sat since its an Xmas gift.. So I will post my findings then.
Old 12-23-2010, 01:58 PM   #45
majstor76
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
I think that is just the collar that secures the tubing onto the nipple. I think that in order to connect the solenoid directly to the regulator, you would need to actually unscrew that entire part, nipple and all, from the body of the regulator. I could definitely be wrong though
No, your right. With solenoid you get (well, at least i am) male to male adapter to connect solenoid directly to regulator

Quote:
Does anyone know if a needle valve is a requirement in this equation?
Needle valve is *always* requirement. But, you wouldnt be happy with needle valve from your picture. Thats chinese valve , priced about 10$, coarse and very hard to set.
majstor76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cartridge, co2, fluval, kit, nano