New Fluval CO2 Kit - Page 11
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 03-10-2011, 12:06 AM   #151
mcubed45
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wastewater View Post
Loosely defined, a regulator is just a device to control the flow of gases, liquids, etc.
a regulator maintains a constant output pressure.

a needle valve controls flow while leaving pressure unchanged.

they're two completely different devices with different purposes.
mcubed45 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2011, 12:13 AM   #152
Swan900
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Ive had a similar one to this. Since then I hate these small CO2 kits and refillables. If you tank is moderately planted and over 10L then you will go through these cartriges like mad! I had one on my 6.3g and I was getting atleast one a month. People advise getting the best CO2 setup you can for a reason, in a year or so you would have paid it off, and regulators more controllable.

The valves on these are rubbish, your constantly changing and fiddling with it multiple times daily just to get a steady bps rate. When you do get the rate you want, a couple hours later and its slowed up again. Made me go mad! But as a posative these Fluval ones are built alot better than the others I have seen, look more crisp to for that modern look. But overall I dont think there worth the hastle and performance when a bit more money can buy you a reliable and affective CO2 system that outlasts this by months.

Swan

** Fluval Pimp #21 **

17 Gallon Planted Room Tank
6.3 Gallon Planted Nano
Swan900 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2011, 12:20 AM   #153
Road507

Default Fluval Co2 88g connected to Paintball tank

I finally was able to connect a 24oz paintball tank to the Fluval regulator. If you buy the adapter to fit the paintball 88g cylinders you can just take the adapter to any machine shop and have them just run a die over the treads that screw into the regulator. I can't remember the thread size but it worked like a charm. This is the cheapest method and will only cost $14.99 for the adaptor.

I did not do this but it will work. I purchased the remote for the paintball tank and then connected this to the fluval regulator with a machined fitting cost $10.00. However while I was getting this made I had the guy run a die over the threads of the airsource 88g paintball cylinder. I was able to then use the Airsource paintball cylinder as a direct replacement for the Fluval 88g cylinder. So if you don't want to connect it to the larger refillable tanks you can just buy the cheaper Airsource ones and get the threads done.
Road507 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2011, 01:10 AM   #154
Road507

Default Fluval Co2 88 picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road507 View Post
I finally was able to connect a 24oz paintball tank to the Fluval regulator. If you buy the adapter to fit the paintball 88g cylinders you can just take the adapter to any machine shop and have them just run a die over the treads that screw into the regulator. I can't remember the thread size but it worked like a charm. This is the cheapest method and will only cost $14.99 for the adaptor.

I did not do this but it will work. I purchased the remote for the paintball tank and then connected this to the fluval regulator with a machined fitting cost $10.00. However while I was getting this made I had the guy run a die over the threads of the airsource 88g paintball cylinder. I was able to then use the Airsource paintball cylinder as a direct replacement for the Fluval 88g cylinder. So if you don't want to connect it to the larger refillable tanks you can just buy the cheaper Airsource ones and get the threads done.

Here is a picture
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	March 2011 012.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	29013  

Old 03-24-2011, 01:31 AM   #155
TLE041
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)

That looks great! The line joining the paintball canister and the regulator looks like the perfect place to put a solenoid.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:37 PM   #156
Road507

The Solenoid would be a direct connection at the tank or at the regulator with this setup.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:02 PM   #157
Robotguy
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailnut View Post
It's a pressure regulator. There is no way to adjust the pressure its fixed.
Got it, thanks.

One more question (OK, two related questions):

1) Any idea what the pressure is set at?

1b) Is it set high enough to run one of the high pressure diffusers (like from GLA)?

I really like the size for my 3.5G automatic nano, but unless all of these ducks are willing to line up in a nice neat row for me, I'll have to find another way to do it.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:14 PM   #158
Cento
Planted Member

I thought I'd dig this thread up to confirm Road507 setup. For me, he/she solved the last piece of the puzzle....

As seen at page 7 of this thread, I figured out a way to connect the Fluval Regulator to whatever setup I was attempting to attach with a piece found at Home Depot (see image I placed in a post on page 7). The Fluval regulator was not "spring actuated" as was speculated at that point.

The missing link was a part that could connect the 24oz (or whatever size) refillable container to all (about 3 pieces in total) the brass fittings that were going into the regulator. I went to Home Depot, Canadian Tire and a few other department stores and speciality stores (Paintball shops), and left with no resolution.

The final piece.... was the coiled remote adaptor used for paintball guns. It was, in my experience, the only way to connect the container to the setup. Its sucks on one hand because the remote cost over $60. But on the brighter side, it also has a knob that allows you to control the amount of depression placed on the pin valve, thereby controlling how much pressure goes to your Fluval Regulator.

I hope this doesn't crush my chances of one day working for Fluval..

Anyway, it finally worked for me. I know some may say it would have been faster, less time consuming, less frustrating, and arguably perhaps cheaper, but... well, it is what it is. It was a matter of prinicpal....

So, if anyone has this setup and has been wondering how to convert what they have to a refillable setup, this is "one" way (the only one I've come across) to do that.

Cento

PIMP #427 - 2 x 2213, 1 x 2206, 1 x Surface Extractor
Cento is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2011, 08:31 PM   #159
TLE041
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)

That's great news, Cento.

Can you post a picture of this setup?
Old 04-06-2011, 08:50 PM   #160
SuperWen
Planted Member

cheap alternative:

ISTA CO2 set ($15)

Replacement Cylinder ($7 for 3 cylinder)

SuperWen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2011, 08:59 PM   #161
Stevenicoloconnor
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cento View Post

As seen at page 7 of this thread, I figured out a way to connect the Fluval Regulator to whatever setup I was attempting to attach with a piece found at Home Depot (see image I placed in a post on page 7.)
...by chance, do you know and can you share more details about this connector: size, type, or brand?

Thanks!
Old 04-06-2011, 09:02 PM   #162
hockey9999
Planted Member

I posted a list of the parts I came up with in this post...

I believe it was the Watts A-183 3/8" Flare MIP - 3/8" MIP

I ended up returning my kit though because my Regulator was defective..
Old 04-06-2011, 09:09 PM   #163
Stevenicoloconnor
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey9999 View Post
I posted a list of the parts I came up with in this post...

I believe it was the Watts A-183 3/8" Flare MIP - 3/8" MIP

I ended up returning my kit though because my Regulator was defective..
...thanks, I already have that list made.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:20 PM   #164
Cento
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLE041 View Post
That's great news, Cento.

Can you post a picture of this setup?

Sure.. this is a pick of the setup...

And, as hockey9999 mentioned, it was he who came up with the parts list (thanks again)...

Thanks for the tip SuperWen. However, disposable powerlets was precicely what I was trying to avoid. At one bubble pers second, an 88 gr powerlet lasts me 12-14 days. This I expect will last FAR longer, and for 5 dollars, I get it refilled at a paintball shop 5 minutes from my house.

Cento

PIMP #427 - 2 x 2213, 1 x 2206, 1 x Surface Extractor
Cento is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2011, 09:26 PM   #165
SuperWen
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cento View Post
Thanks for the tip SuperWen. However, disposable powerlets was precicely what I was trying to avoid. At one bubble pers second, an 88 gr powerlet lasts me 12-14 days. This I expect will last FAR longer, and for 5 dollars, I get it refilled at a paintball shop 5 minutes from my house.
100% agree,,
I purchased that disposable cylinder only for nano tank exhibition purposes.. for my 1gallon tank
SuperWen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
cartridge, co2, fluval, kit, nano

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.