DIY sump/refugium design
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 08-04-2014, 06:24 PM   #1
Lyfeoffishing
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

DIY sump/refugium design

Okay so I m thinking about making a sump for my 55 gallon planted tank and I have come up with a design I think should work. It will be a 20L as the sump under the tank.

Comp 1: intake
Comp 2: filter pads/sponges/bio rings
Comp 3: I don't know what to put here.
Comp 4: refugium around 5G (wisteria, water lettuce, some moss, shrimp)
Comp 5: 2 150w heaters
Comp 6: return pump

I was going to leave out comp 3 but I believe it is advise able to keep an over/under/over system (I could be wrong). Could I place bio rings/ pot scrubbers in comp 3 and force water up them?

Any help/thoughts are appreciated!!!

55 gallon community

Old 08-04-2014, 06:40 PM   #2
Dx3Bash
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)

I made a wet-dry, refugium sump combo for my 120 discus tank. I posted a youtube video of it which can be viewed here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHZx...nd73Yq&index=6

In section 3 you could add purigen. I did recently switch my refugium portion to watter lettuce. Much cleaner than the hygrophila I had when I made this video.

I would also suggest adding another sponge prior to your heaters to trap and contain any loose debris which will undoubtedly come from the plants in your refugium.
Old 08-04-2014, 06:52 PM   #3
Lyfeoffishing
Planted Member

I dont like the idea of a wet/dry system In my bedroon and ive heard they are nitrate factory. I will look into purigen.

Maybe make comp 5 more sponges/bio balls and put heaters in return pump area?

55 gallon community
Old 08-04-2014, 08:00 PM   #4
Dx3Bash
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyfeoffishing View Post
I dont like the idea of a wet/dry system In my bedroon and ive heard they are nitrate factory
Many fallacies abound in this hobby. Nitrate Factory? No more than any other type of filter, in fact I would argue much less due to the ease of access and routine maintenance. Ever see how much waste comes out of a canister filter after two months? Nitrates are usually not harmful unless they reach extreme levels. Remember, we dose nitrates in planted tanks. Plants feed on nitrates. I doubt you would ever see dangerous levels of nitrates using a wet-dry/trickle filter on a planted tank assuming you know what you are doing. I believe the reef people are the folks that are more concerned about filters being "nitrate factories", and rightfully so, not the planted tank people. For me, the benefits of a wet-dry/Trickle filter far outweigh any cons. When someone can come up with a more efficient way of filtering, then perhaps I will jump on board. Until then, if it is good enough for Tom Barr, it is good enough for me.
Old 08-05-2014, 12:42 AM   #5
Kareen
Planted Member

I have a wet/dry on my 125 planted Discus tank The hightes my Nitrates get is around 25pp I do 50% w/c once aweek and my plants and fish are happy.I just Lava rock/Biohome for my Bio-Media keep up on your w/c and youll be fine.
Kareen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 01:01 AM   #6
Tankedagain
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

I have a 20L sump with similar set up, as far as compartments and baffles, my only regret is I didn't make the return pump compartment larger. It holds about 25%, I would recommend a least 30% or more if you are going with an open top.
Tankedagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 02:20 AM   #7
JeffE
Planted Member

I also run a wet/dry Tom Barr style, I would be careful with section 5 don't put heaters there as evap will show in that section and your heaters could dry out! Also very important to be able to clean the bottom of the entire sump with the wet dry I just clean my filter pad on top and the detritus that accumulates on the bottom of the sump. Much easier than a canister if setup right. Also tried the fw Refugium thing doesn't really help and is hard to clean.

- Jeff
JeffE is online now   Reply With Quote