Stocking a 55-gallon planted tank
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 11-25-2004, 04:13 PM   #1
Mavvy
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Talking

Stocking a 55-gallon planted tank

I've been gathering together the hardware to set up a 55G fully planted tank. I'm moviing into a bigger apartment next March, so there's plenty of time. I'll be using Ecocomplete (how many bags?), an Eheim 2215, PROBABLY an AH light kit (twin 96s if I can afford it, and I don't see why not), twin Ebo 200 heaters, and a fully automated CO2 system with PH controller. No issues on any of that stuff, and it'll be the hallway centerpiece as you walk into my foyer. I've wanted to do this for quite some time...just didn't have the room.

Now, the big question...: I am not interested in large fish. I'm thinking more like small schooling/shoaling fish, and so far, neon tetras and harlequin raspboras (both in the same tank) come to mind. How many of each can I pack into this tank to have a large school of each without bio-overload? (I'll also have some ghost shrimp and perhaps a CAE, just to assist in cleanup of various situations.) I intend to do a fishless cycle first, with just the plants.

Any suggestions? I'm wide open, here. All my little (1 to 2 1/2G) tanks, my two 10G tanks, and my 29G plastic-planted tank (got two crayfish-no fish loss but they bulldozed every last shard of real plant life) are doing well. Life is good. NOW it's fixin' to get better. Help me with my showpiece?
Mavvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2004, 04:30 PM   #2
John P.
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavvy
I've been gathering together the hardware to set up a 55G fully planted tank. I'm moviing into a bigger apartment next March, so there's plenty of time. I'll be using Ecocomplete (how many bags?), an Eheim 2215, PROBABLY an AH light kit (twin 96s if I can afford it, and I don't see why not), twin Ebo 200 heaters, and a fully automated CO2 system with PH controller. No issues on any of that stuff, and it'll be the hallway centerpiece as you walk into my foyer. I've wanted to do this for quite some time...just didn't have the room.

Now, the big question...: I am not interested in large fish. I'm thinking more like small schooling/shoaling fish, and so far, neon tetras and harlequin raspboras (both in the same tank) come to mind. How many of each can I pack into this tank to have a large school of each without bio-overload? (I'll also have some ghost shrimp and perhaps a CAE, just to assist in cleanup of various situations.) I intend to do a fishless cycle first, with just the plants.

Any suggestions? I'm wide open, here. All my little (1 to 2 1/2G) tanks, my two 10G tanks, and my 29G plastic-planted tank (got two crayfish-no fish loss but they bulldozed every last shard of real plant life) are doing well. Life is good. NOW it's fixin' to get better. Help me with my showpiece?
Re: amount of EcoComplete go here:http://www.plantedtank.net/substratecalculator.html.
Old 11-25-2004, 04:46 PM   #3
Thanks
Planted Tank Enthusiast

are you going for a biotope type design, where the fish and plants come from the same natural area? I really like the combo of neons/cardinals and Rams, the gold and blue works really nicely
Thanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 05:27 PM   #4
John P.
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

Re: heaters, Ebo Jagers are good, but you may want to consider the Hydor ETH inline heater so it's in your stand, not in the tank.
Old 11-25-2004, 06:12 PM   #5
bigpow
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

Or Eheim 2126/2128

I have 2026 filtering my 55G... I wish I had paid extra to get the 2126...
Eheim Pimp Club Member #74
bigpow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 06:28 PM   #6
enchanted
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

The first thing I noticed was the 96W lighting. I would recommend 4x55W rather than 2x96W because 96W bulbs are only 36" long. By going with 4x55W you will get better coverage over your tank.

Now, it sounds like you are doing something close to what I am creating in my 125 Gallon. I'm not a fan of big fish either.

I am stocked as such:
10xGuppys
7xCorys
2xBlack Phantom Tetrs
1xSunset Fire Gourami
4xOtos
2xKuhli Loaches

Now, what I am doing wouldn't work in a 55, but here is how my tank will be stocked when I am done:
10xGuppys
24xCorys
12xBP Tetras
3XSunset Fire Gouramis (1xmale 2xfemale)
3xNeon Blue Gouramis(1xmale 2xfemale)
6xOtos
6xKuhli Loaches

That gives you an idea of what you can do for stocking.
Co2: Pressurized Co2 - Rex Grigg Regulator, SMS 122, and Rex Grigg Reactor.
Plants: Pogostemon yatabeanus, Foxtail, Bacopa, Egeria najas, Anubius, E. 'Ozelot Red', Ranalisma rostrata, Hornwort, Rotala Indica, Ludwigia Repens, Vals, Cabomba, Lilly, MoneyWort
enchanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 07:17 PM   #7
Mavvy
Algae Grower

John P. - Thanks for the Eco info and the idea on the heater...I like!

BigPow- I'd like another Eheim, but I was given this one as a gift-and I can use the money saved elsewhere. I'm given to understand that the 2215 should handle a 55G fine-not so?

Thanks - I hadn't really decided yet.

Enchanted - Thanks for the heads-up on the lighting. I'd originally planned to stagger the 2 36" tubes, but I like your idea better, and it gives me more wattage. (Sounds like a 'Tim the Toolman' thang, huh? )
Old 11-25-2004, 10:29 PM   #8
pufferfreak
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via MSN to pufferfreak Send a message via Yahoo to pufferfreak

Look at my sig. for my stocking for my 55.....I love my stocking...is so beautiful!
pufferfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004, 12:36 PM   #9
sanj
Planted Member

Quote:
I'm thinking more like small schooling/shoaling fish, and so far, neon tetras and harlequin raspboras (both in the same tank) come to mind.
Its just my opinion, but I try not to mix fish from hugely different geographical locations, they would be ok in your tank because they like the same conditions...i think its just me.

I have two large aquaria one is dominated by S American fish and the other Asian/Australian. However there is always the odd one that doesnt have a regional substitute.

However what I am coming to is why not a large school of cardinals and Rummy noses tetras?

Rummy noses are IMO the best schooling fish, few compare.

I have harlequins in one aqauriam and cardinals in another. They are ok but are not consistant schoolers like Rummy Noses.
sanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004, 09:45 PM   #10
Mavvy
Algae Grower

Well, sanj, the thing is...I just haven't decided yet. As you said, the conditions are similar. I'll keep what you've advised in mind...thanks!
Old 11-26-2004, 10:22 PM   #11
sanj
Planted Member

Talking

It is exciting though...planning a new aquarium

1 have an empty Juwel 240 which I have been wondering what to do with for months... i just dont know, but the house looks a bit cramped as it is...always a prob.
sanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004, 05:00 PM   #12
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to GulfCoastAquarian Send a message via Yahoo to GulfCoastAquarian

Right now, if I were starting a new 55g tank and wanted some nice schooling fish - they would be a school of about 10 penguin tetras and 8-10 Glass Catfish. I can't think of a single time I've been to the store and seen either of this fish NOT schooling. They always seem to all be facing in the same direction, the perfect little school. They're not as colorful as Rasboras, Cardinals or even Rummynose, but they are incredible schoolers.
Old 11-27-2004, 10:17 PM   #13
Mavvy
Algae Grower

I LOVE new ideas! Keep 'em comin'!
Old 11-28-2004, 12:31 AM   #14
Thanks
Planted Tank Enthusiast

would you consider rainbows "big"? it would be the bomb to have a school of rainbows in there
Thanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 03:40 AM   #15
Kris
Planted Tank Enthusiast

what about some small danios? i love to watch them zipping around!

30 gallon tall, pressurized CO2...killer lights
50 gallon long, killer filtration, low tech otherwise
Kris is offline   Reply With Quote