"get out-of-there stupid fish!"
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 11-21-2004, 11:51 PM   #1
fishpoop
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to fishpoop

"get out-of-there stupid fish!"

All my platys dwarf neon ranbows and kissing fish spend all of the time hidden in the plants. about the top of the tank is open for swimming but they just sit in the weeds and move around the tunnels down under the canopy of growth. I only see then when they feed and it's getting worse! the ranbows dont harly ever come up anymore! It's like they are cory wanabees This behaviour only started a few monthes ago when my dwarf gourmie died. (I never found the body?) will they ever become openwater fish again? I', thinking of taking out some plants and moving them around to try and eliminate the under-canonpy spaces to force them into the open.
they seem healthy and active but they just dont come out anymore. Fish are weird sometimes.
fishpoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2004, 12:38 AM   #2
Momotaro
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)

I have the same problem. There are about twenty eight Cardinals living in my 75G and three Coffee bean tetras. I never see any fish, besides mealtime!

What a bunch of bums!

Mike
Old 11-22-2004, 01:08 AM   #3
Rolo
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

When I kept rainbows, all I can remember is how scared they seemed to be. Yep, just sat behind all the plants and low against the substrate like cories. There were a ton of dither fish swimming freely in the open, but that didn't help them.
Old 11-22-2004, 04:07 AM   #4
fishpoop
Planted Member

Send a message via AIM to fishpoop

they do seem to come out at night...
Momotaro your tank is one of my favs
fishpoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 05:02 AM   #5
bharada
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolo
When I kept rainbows, all I can remember is how scared they seemed to be. Yep, just sat behind all the plants and low against the substrate like cories. There were a ton of dither fish swimming freely in the open, but that didn't help them.
You never would guess this is possible by watching my Bosemani and Preacox Rainbows in my 125g tank. They're always out and about flashing each other and generally in constant motion. The funny thing is that they'd congregate in the corner of the tank, in the plants, and as soon as I'd walk by they'd all tear out into the open...all looking like I'd caught them doing something that they didn 't want me to see
Old 11-22-2004, 07:23 AM   #6
shalu
Wannabe Guru

My rainbows are very active too. Actually they move around too much and annoy the discus in the tank.
10gallon Tonina tank, 2x15w T6 ODNO 4x
---------------------
I will do aquascapes after I collect all the plant species and grow them to perfection.
shalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 02:12 PM   #7
George Willms
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

I've never had inactive rainbows. Maybe something in your water is bothering them?
Ehfipimp extraordinaire!
Eheim Pimp Club Recruiter, Saergant at Arms, and Enforcer.

29 and 45 gallon. 2026, 2028
My 29 gallon tank
George Willms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 04:47 PM   #8
bharada
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalu
My rainbows are very active too. Actually they move around too much and annoy the discus in the tank.
Wow! Rainbows in a Discus tank? The way my Bosemanis eat (they nearly jump out of the water going after flake food!) I would expect the discus to be cowering in a corner during feeding time.
Old 11-22-2004, 06:24 PM   #9
shalu
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharada
Wow! Rainbows in a Discus tank? The way my Bosemanis eat (they nearly jump out of the water going after flake food!) I would expect the discus to be cowering in a corner during feeding time.
That depends on how feeding is done I guess. They get along ok most of the time The bosemani is actually quite polite by rainbow standard, it swims back and forth in the tank, catching the dropping bloodworms, which is a favor done by the messy discus eating at the feeding cones. The discus are more dominant and occupy the feeding cones most of the time. There are couple of discus that shun away a little when the bosemani(mine is HUGE) comes close.
10gallon Tonina tank, 2x15w T6 ODNO 4x
---------------------
I will do aquascapes after I collect all the plant species and grow them to perfection.
shalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 07:17 PM   #10
raykwonx
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharada
You never would guess this is possible by watching my Bosemani and Preacox Rainbows in my 125g tank. They're always out and about flashing each other and generally in constant motion. The funny thing is that they'd congregate in the corner of the tank, in the plants, and as soon as I'd walk by they'd all tear out into the open...all looking like I'd caught them doing something that they didn 't want me to see
Same here, I've got 3 of each: celebes, threadfins, praecox, and singles of 2 more that I'm not sure of the species. One is blue and one is orange. They are always out and about flashing each other and playing around. In the occasion that they are hiding when I get home, they come out and start playing again as soon as they see me. Every now and then they'll school around with my bala sharks...it's funny.
raykwonx is offline   Reply With Quote