5.4g long CRS/CBS/RCS Update 01/02/2011 - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 11-21-2010, 08:13 PM   #16
DANIELSON
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)

Any updates on the tank?
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2010, 09:54 PM   #17
wrangler
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (35/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANIELSON View Post
Any updates on the tank?

Nothing too major...I added more CRS...6 S grade black 6 S grade Red
3 Hino Black, altho thanks to Greenisgood I recieved 18 fabulous shrimp!! One of my CBS that I recieved at the beginning of October is already berried....should have some shrimplets in 2-3 weeks!!

All of my cherrys dropped there shrimplets......so I have a TON of babies! YAY!! I started with 6 females and 3 male cherrys.....prolly have 40 easy...cant wait for my CRS/CBS population to expand like that... ;-)

I did do a rescape with the stones. I sunk all of them into the eco...and also used them to create a hillside on the left end of the tank. I LOVE this look ....I just had such a hard time adjusting to the starkness of the stones.

I added CO2 via paint ball and chopstick diffuser last weekend.....and now my plants are pearling like crazy. Algae seems to be diminishing alittle....I got quite the bloom on the rocks and glass.

I need to do a trim and replant and also clean the glass off so I can take a picture of the new scape. Will post pictures later tonite or tomorrow.
wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 10:03 PM   #18
DANIELSON
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)

Ya my CRS and CBS got down so i have a mix of babies right now. Im looking to set one of these up but i want to break it up into 3 tanks in one so i can have 3 different species of shrimps.
Old 11-26-2010, 07:05 AM   #19
wrangler
Planted Tank Obsessed

Here are the photos as promised! I have topped and replanted the pearl weed 3X since I started the paintball CO2 (3 weeks ago). I also just topped and replanted the wisteria(I think that is that plant). I recently also got an outbreak of a stringy algae....hoping that it doesnt take off and ruin the tank.....I have been pulling it out as i see it. Anyway here she is!!

FTS

lft side with the new slope...and sunkin stones.....

more slope shots

close up of the cave....the shrimp seem to like it..

BABIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mommas!!

cluster of CRS/CBS/RCS
Old 11-30-2010, 04:50 PM   #20
Damian
Planted Member

PTrader: (15/100%)

Beautiful tank and Im digging the scape. Careful with the hair algae. My 2.5 was overrun and I eventually tore it down. IME I chalked it up to too much lighting. Am experimenting with a derimmed 5.5gallon with the proper lighting to avoid the dreaded hair algae. Good luck!
Damian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 06:09 PM   #21
wrangler
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thank you! I like this scape better than when I first set it up. My plants are growing like crazy with the addition of the the CO2. I am hoping that they will outcompete the algae...altho I could alter the lighting as far as how long they are on. but really I dont think that I have had too big of an issue with algae. I do have hair algae but I also think that it is partially caused by the newness of the tank and the cycling.......its not getting anyworse on the rocks and glass....and really has eased the longer the tank is set up. I think that I will have to get something that eats algae to try to permently eradicate it.....do ottos eat it?

One other question.....can Khuli loaches be kept with shrimp? or do the eat them? I have always had them together in the big tank....but dont really know if they were eating the shrimp or not. I think that they are way cool......
Old 12-20-2010, 04:37 AM   #22
wrangler
Planted Tank Obsessed

Update time!!

My tank has been chugging along quite nicely. I unfortunatly only have RCS in this tank at this point. I am not sure what happened but I started slowing losing all my CRS/CBS shrimp. I am not sure but it was suggested that I was doing too large of a WC change weekly....close to 20 percent....and that alot of people only do topoffs...so I have adapted that strategy. I am scared to invest more money right now in CRS and I dont want to lose them. I have a few left in the 70 gallon so I am hoping that I have at least a pair and that some of the babies can survive to adulthood as there are fishes in the tank with them.

Anyway here is the tank prior to the big trim....and boy did it need it!!

I would just like to thank the geniuses on here that were able to use a paintball tank and adapt it to aquarium uses!!

Here is what I removed from the tank

and here is the tank now....

I will pull up and replant the tops on the wisteria next round and the leaves that are here now on some of the plants are brownish....I am guessing due to lack of adequate light from the overgrowth.

Here are 2 more shots of the slope and rocks/plants.....I just love the look!

Hope you enjoy!! I know that I love just looking at this tank at night...... ;-)
Old 12-20-2010, 06:36 AM   #23
jeffvmd
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (99/100%)

This tank is looking really sweet.
Me want one.
jeffvmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 02:32 PM   #24
dhg is my plant
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

looks nice!!
dhg is my plant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 12:20 AM   #25
!shadow!
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)

nice tank where did you get it?

!shadow! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 04:18 AM   #26
wrangler
Planted Tank Obsessed

Happy 2011!! Time for an update and Rescape!

First I just saw the question by !Shadow! on where I got the tank. I am not sure where...just know that it was in Florida like 15 years ago!! YIKES!! I have been carrying this tank with me for that long...and until now it had never even had water in it...I wasnt sure what I wanted to do or how to even set it up!

I did a major rescape. I pulled most of the stems oout. I was having a horrible time keeping up with them. They would take over the tank in no time and it looked sloppy! I have instead opted to go with mosses. I bought several from Jaggedfury and an hoping that they do as well as the stems. I also brought over my nana petite...from the 70 gallon. It started as a few nodes several years ago and now it is turning into this great little cluster of plants! So here are the newest....

Here is the tank...and you can see why I needed a change.....ugh!!

and here it is tonite....dont mind the crappy cell photo...

Here is one of my cherry's...can you see her green eyes?

heres her again looking down

Heres the nana when I first got it...

and heres today
Old 01-03-2011, 04:35 AM   #27
Rhaethe
Planted Member

PTrader: (11/100%)

The new tank is definitely nicer! Moss tanks always appeal to me for some reason
Rhaethe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 05:17 AM   #28
Jaggedfury
Twin Turbo Lexus SC300

PTrader: (135/100%)

I noticed your Fissiden Fontanus came back fully alive and healthy from the paintball co2 injection! Very nice custom tank.

Jaggedfury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 04:48 PM   #29
wrangler
Planted Tank Obsessed

The paintball CO2 injection has been a godsend! I am so excited that I am getting the growth on my plants that I have...even tho it caused the stemmed ones to get out of control..could have been the opposite and they all melted...

And I too love the look of a Moss tank...altho it is hard to find a tank journal that showed the progression of a really awesome scaped moss only tank. A lot of people have moss in their tanks...but very few have just moss and scape it.
I also am excited that I am able to work with so many unusual mosses.....esp for where I am at....as the only thing moss you can find is "java" and it is horrible......not so sure that it really isnt stringy moss..... no shape and it never lives for very long.....its like it is sick when purchased and never really recovers. I have been contemplating changing my 70 gallon over to moss......right now it is rotala colorata, bronze crypts and some MM......
Thanks for all the kind words!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggedfury View Post
I noticed your Fissiden Fontanus came back fully alive and healthy from the paintball co2 injection! Very nice custom tank.