What are Betta Bulbs?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 11-15-2004, 04:42 AM   #1
Silent Running
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

What are Betta Bulbs?

My Petco sells "Betta Bulbs". I'm assuming they're some type of aponogeton, but I'm not sure which. They're 3 for $2.50, so I picked up a package and am eager to see what comes of it. If you click on the link in my signature, you can see the bulbs in the 2nd and 3rd pictures down.

What should I do with them once they start growing (1 has already sprouted)?

Thanks!

"I'd like to think oysters transcend national barriers." - Roger Waters

Eheim Pimp Club Member #64

My old 100 Gallon SeaClear established 11/7/2004. 4 GE Daylight Ultras on IceCap VHO ballasts. 3" Eco-complete substrate. Eheim 2028, pressurized CO2, external reactor. 18 watt Turbo Twist UV.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=11648
Silent Running is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2004, 02:22 AM   #2
Momotaro
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)

Either an Aponogeton or some type of lilly. I guess were are all going to have to wait this one out!!

Mike
Old 11-16-2004, 07:19 PM   #3
BlueRam
Wannabe Guru

Silent Running:

You are doing everything right with the bulbs. That are an assortment of Aponogeton / lily and will grow huge. Let them sit on the substrate until they sprout (alive) and put out enough of a leaf to determine if it is a lily or what not. For Aponogeton pick a place in your aquascape about 6" round and plant the bulb there. Bulb will send up leaves and an occasional flowering stalk. For lily you will get stalks with floating runners and large submersed growth. I had leaves in excess of 5". Place the bulb so that the floating leaves do not disrupt water flow or filtration <surface skimmer?> There is a Seattle LFS selling Crinum bulbs too... BTW you can generally buy the same bulb sprouted in the BigBox plant display for ~$3...
BlueRam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2004, 07:44 PM   #4
Silent Running
Planted Tank Obsessed

Hey, thanks for the info BR. Who's selling crinum bulbs? Are they Crinum thaianum?

So, once the sprouting takes place, how far into the substrate should the bulb be buried? Should any of the bulb be visible?

My old 100 Gallon SeaClear established 11/7/2004. 4 GE Daylight Ultras on IceCap VHO ballasts. 3" Eco-complete substrate. Eheim 2028, pressurized CO2, external reactor. 18 watt Turbo Twist UV.
Old 11-16-2004, 09:23 PM   #5
BlueRam
Wannabe Guru

Silent Running:

Check the store on Roosevelt for the Crinum bulbs. They had several last I looked and were nice enough to find one that has a bit of root starting <alive>.

Bury the bulbs as you see fit. They seem to pull themselves up/down on their own so I started at half buried. You might want to use a plant tab sort of device as you substrate is new. I have a lily that has sprouted but never grows if you end up with all aponogetons.
BlueRam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2004, 06:03 AM   #6
Silent Running
Planted Tank Obsessed

Well, about a month later, here's what I've got. I'm liking it! Any ideas what type of Aponogeton this is (I'm assuming it's Aponogeton)?

Old 12-19-2004, 07:19 AM   #7
lowcoaster
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)

It looks like Apoogeton rigidifolius. It is a native of Sri Lanka. It looks great!!!
lowcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2004, 06:37 AM   #8
Silent Running
Planted Tank Obsessed

Hey, thanks for the info lowcoaster. I did a search on the rigidifolius and it looks like that one grows off of a rhizome. This one is definitely a bulb and now that I've taken the time to look around , it looks like crispus to me. Whatever it is, this thing's going nuts so far. It's already got 2 bloom stalks. What should I do with those? Can I propagate this plant in any way? Thanks!

Old 05-20-2008, 04:08 AM   #9
PinBallAnnie
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

I bought the "betta bulbs" at the 45th St. Petco, Seattle, and ended up (even in just a bowl/betta/gravel combo) with a water lily and an aponogeton. Which is why I now have a small beginning planted (filtered!) tank, and they're both doing well, as well as my betta being much happier.

I can't tell what kind of Aponogeton it is, though it also bloomed, just after I planted it. Palish green leaves, 3 inches long, slight ruffle on the edge. The leaves are mostly floating, an I haven't seen anything quite right, though the ID sites seem to show immersed leaves. which I now know are different. I mostly know it's an Aponogeton from the infloresences. Any suggestions of references?
PinBallAnnie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2009, 12:24 AM   #10
anastasisariel
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Default Online purchase

Does anyone know where I can purchase these online. I don't want to buy the marketed "betta bulbs" but I just want a bunch of onion bulbs, but can't find any online.
anastasisariel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2009, 01:25 AM   #11
Ariel301
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

The aponogetons sold in those packages are generally hybrids, so it's hard to say exactly what they are. They're pretty neat plants if you can get them growing though.
Ariel301 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.