Colorado Local Fish Stores - Page 4
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Colorado

Old 10-19-2010, 09:53 PM   #46
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Remember guys, we want to keep this thread open, please follow the forum rules and refrain from reviewing LFS's only list unique stock when you go in, so that those that are looking for something specific can find it, and not waste a bunch of time on travel.
Noahma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2010, 10:08 PM   #47
Dave-H
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahma View Post
Remember guys, we want to keep this thread open, please follow the forum rules and refrain from reviewing LFS's only list unique stock when you go in, so that those that are looking for something specific can find it, and not waste a bunch of time on travel.
I wonder why there are no reviews allowed?

"The fewer our wants, the nearer we resemble the gods." Socrates

Dave-H is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2010, 10:18 PM   #48
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-H View Post
I wonder why there are no reviews allowed?
There was one forum (not this one) that had reviews, well one shop owner found the review and issued lawsuits against all that were involved, it became very drawn out. The owners of this forum decided it would not be a good idea to allow the reviews based on that.
Old 10-19-2010, 10:37 PM   #49
Dave-H
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
There was one forum (not this one) that had reviews, well one shop owner found the review and issued lawsuits against all that were involved, it became very drawn out. The owners of this forum decided it would not be a good idea to allow the reviews based on that.
That sounds very familiar. I used to be a moderator at a forum (not an aquarium related forum) that had a similar policy. Eventually it was withdrawn, as the policy wasn't really needed. I suspect that libel, etc. type law wiill apply to forums just like it would anywhere else, but the case law and standards take some time to evolve.

Old 10-19-2010, 11:08 PM   #50
Eden Marel
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (38/100%)

Quote:
Well that's stupid. Unless the reviews were false or made out of spite or something, I don't think that was right of him. Come on, I mean really? It's like he wanted to try to hide the truth or something. Very suspicious to me. I'm assuming they were bad reviews, I mean who would want hide awesome good reviews?

I personally depend on reviews of sites to weigh my decision to shop with them. If there isn't any reviews I would not even consider, I would consider them even if they had bad reviews I mean not everyone 100% is gonna be satisfied with their experience with the shop. Especially with buying online... unless they are well known company with a good rep such as Amazon.com, Dr. F&S, or Big Al's, no way am I shopping with them unless I see some reviews!!

I guess there could be many people being paid to write good/bad things about a shop, but still at least reviews could give people an idea of things going on.
Old 10-19-2010, 11:48 PM   #51
Dave-H
Planted Tank Guru

I see your perspective, but I don't think it's all that stupid. You have to consider the perspective of the forum owner.

Having reviews of local stores is a nice feature, but wouldn't be considered a 'must have' feature for this particular forum. There is definitely some risk associated with running a forum, and most forum owners are careful to make sure that there is no objectionable or illegal content on their site. This can be extended to general liability issues, especially when it comes to fraud, libel, copyright, etc. so forum owners are wise to be extremely cautious.

I assume this forum doesn't have a legal department to determine what, exactly, is worth the risk. But, to take a perceived risk on content that isn't essential to the site doesn't seem wise. You may think it's stupid, but it would be more stupid to lose the forum over a legal battle that originated with a post on a non-important thread.

All that said, I think there is probably not much legal risk. When I was running forums in the late 90's things were much more 'new' then they are now. There is quite a bit of settled law and doing reviews of stores is probably not risky at all, but I'd certainly run it by attorney if it were my forum.

Old 10-20-2010, 12:45 AM   #52
Eden Marel
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (38/100%)

Ohh I meant it was stupid for the shop owner to sue everyone because of reviews, not forum owners it's their choice what they want on their site. xD That's just like how right now Petland is trying to sue animal acitvists because a lot of their shops are being forced to close down cuz of low sales.
Old 10-20-2010, 12:53 AM   #53
oaomcg
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
sorry for my post. i didn't realize that was a rule. maybe i was thrown off by the multiple threads titled "LFS REVIEW:xxxx"

i'll stick to lurking
oaomcg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2010, 01:15 AM   #54
Dave-H
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eden Marel View Post
Ohh I meant it was stupid for the shop owner to sue everyone because of reviews, not forum owners it's their choice what they want on their site. xD That's just like how right now Petland is trying to sue animal acitvists because a lot of their shops are being forced to close down cuz of low sales.
Perhaps, although you could see how it could happen. It depends on what was posted. I'm sure that the fish stores know about these forums and depend on word-of-mouth a lot so if they are being discussed in a fraudulent manner and the forum is facilitating that, they would be correct (and smart) to sue. I doubt that happened.

Then again, we don't know what DID happen or if anything substantial ever happened at all. Someone 'suing' doesn't mean much - did it go to court? was there a resolution, settlement, or any type of proceedings? Or was it just a complaint, a letter? Or did it ever happen at all? We don't really know but most likely the forum reviews aren't a real issue.

Old 10-20-2010, 01:33 AM   #55
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by oaomcg View Post
sorry for my post. i didn't realize that was a rule. maybe i was thrown off by the multiple threads titled "LFS REVIEW:xxxx"

i'll stick to lurking
Don't stick to lurking, stick to posting I just wanted to give a heads up. The reviews that were in the Colorado forums have been slowly closed down due to the problems involved on another forum several years ago. I just want to make sure this particular thread stays open due to the vast distances between our Fish stores here in Colorado. We love having more Colorado people getting involved. I personally have met quite a few through plant swaps ect.
Old 10-20-2010, 01:51 AM   #56
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru

I plan on heading up to Ft. Collins maybe Thursday depending on what I do tomorrow night lol. And see what I find.
Old 10-20-2010, 03:49 AM   #57
theinjected1
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (18/100%)

I was in Denver Tropical Wholesalers in Aurora and they had a crap-ton of tangs in. Really nice looking for you cichlid keepers. Starting to color up really nice. If you are into blan looking discus, they had those as well. There was also a couple of nice looking pricey shrimp. Looks like they are moving a lot of things around in there so we will have to see what happens.
Old 10-20-2010, 04:09 AM   #58
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by theinjected1 View Post
I was in Denver Tropical Wholesalers in Aurora and they had a crap-ton of tangs in. Really nice looking for you cichlid keepers. Starting to color up really nice. If you are into blan looking discus, they had those as well. There was also a couple of nice looking pricey shrimp. Looks like they are moving a lot of things around in there so we will have to see what happens.
I know they are trying to get their plants up to par, and are ordering some stuff they have never carried.
Old 10-21-2010, 06:51 PM   #59
WillyJ
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I'm looking for a bushy background plant that is native to india and/or southeast asia to replace an amazon sword in my 20g high tank. I'm trying to move this tank towards more of a biotope type feel with dwarf puffers and asian plants. Something like hygro would probably be good (no westeria!). Anyone seen any around? The tank currently has a tiger lotus, java moss, java fern, some type of val, glosso (i know it's australian but that's close enough) and the amazon sword.
WillyJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2010, 08:23 PM   #60
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyJ View Post
I'm looking for a bushy background plant that is native to india and/or southeast asia to replace an amazon sword in my 20g high tank. I'm trying to move this tank towards more of a biotope type feel with dwarf puffers and asian plants. Something like hygro would probably be good (no westeria!). Anyone seen any around? The tank currently has a tiger lotus, java moss, java fern, some type of val, glosso (i know it's australian but that's close enough) and the amazon sword.
Have you checked Aqua Imports lately? I have not been there in a couple of weeks, my wife barred me from going lol I tend to come home with plants if I go.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.