Plant Separation Anxiety
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 09-20-2010, 01:52 PM   #1
Reginald2
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Unhappy

Plant Separation Anxiety

Hi, my name is Reginald2 and I suffer from plant separation anxiety.

I feel like I should preface this with: I live in a place where I can't buy aquatic plants. I'm not saying that as a justification, just a reason.

It started with the microsword. I was so happy to find two or three single blades, half covered with black and brown algae in a neglected chain. I don't even get the thrill from the new runners anymore. The thing is, I can't picture my tanks without it anymore. Next it was the Vals. Purchased, melted, and then nursed back to life. They're way too tall, (even my cat trims them) they don't look quite the way I imagined them, and I know I need to move on. I just can't bring myself to do it.

The Wisteria is where my real problem is though... No, the wisteria is how I know that I have a problem. It's a weed, the tank has too much light for it, and the thing has crossed halfway across my tank. I can't stand to look at it anymore, but I can't bring myself to get rid of it. It grows too dang fast, I can't keep up with it.

This is not where I want to be with my hobby right now. I want to be expanding to new and different plants. I want to attempt cohesive scapes that are not just a smattering of all of my aquatical possessions. I need your help planted tank. Maybe I just need to get all of this off my chest.

I don't live like this. The axe falls swiftly when closets get too full, when the only place for something is under a bed, or when I cant find something in the kitchen. I suffer no excess, I ship off what needs to go to Goodwill and discard what I don't need/want. My counters are clean and my desktop uncrowded.

I recently got a new tank. But instead of rejoicing and planning a new underwater world, I find myself trying to figure out where to squeeze in my current plants.

Help me plantedtank

My Picotope- retired

The 50 Gallon Experiment- retired
Reginald2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2010, 03:43 PM   #2
BaltimoreGuy
Planted Member

PTrader: (15/100%)

The first step to recovery is admitting your problem. I think you have come to the right place for help.

What I did with my water sprite is just let small chunks float in the aquarium, it grows so fast I either include it as an extra with plants I sell, or throw some out. This is every week. It grows so fast its not manageable for me to keep it planted.
BaltimoreGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 04:27 PM   #3
Franzi
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (22/100%)

Ha, I feel your pain. I have a bunch of Oriental Swords and Dwarf Sag in the tank that I don't want anymore, but can't bring myself to take them out (and deal with the mess).
Old 09-20-2010, 07:01 PM   #4
tuffgong
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (40/100%)

Let $$$ be ur motivation! Sell your clippings in the SnS and buy new plants with your profits.

Dollar Store Dirt Tank - 20g - Albino Sterbai Cory Fry Tank
Fraternity of Dirt #30 - SunSun Pimp Club #20 - Eheim Pimp Club #412
tuffgong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 03:26 PM   #5
Birds'nBunny
Algae Grower

PTrader: (7/100%)

I hate to give up on a plant, even if it's not working out. Luckily, my husband is ruthless. He "disappears" any problem plants when he's on trimming duty. It makes me a little sad, but the tanks look better because of it.
Birds'nBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 03:48 PM   #6
fresh.salty
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)

That's why I have 100g of tanks at my shop. Needed someplace to keep the plants trimmed from my 90g at home. Last couple shop tank clean outs I was able to sneak quite a few extras into some RAOK packages. Sending out the packages helps them suffer along with me.

Some of these plants are like zucchini, you can't wait until the first few are ready to pick but after eating it 100 different ways in 14 days and then buy a bigger refrigerator to hold all of it you just can't take it anymore.
fresh.salty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 08:38 PM   #7
Reginald2
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

I want to thank everyone for their support in this time. I have an announcement: I have ripped out the wisteria. I think I am starting to make some progress.

My Picotope- retired

The 50 Gallon Experiment- retired
Reginald2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 09:05 PM   #8
fresh.salty
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)

Check and see if Petco is still having the $1.00 a gallon sale before that stuff dies on you.
fresh.salty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anxiety, collectoritis, plants, problem, seperation