Silent Running's 100 Gallon - Updated 2/24/07 - (56K Caution)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 11-12-2004, 04:42 PM   #1
Silent Running
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Silent Running's 100 Gallon - Updated 2/24/07 - (56K Caution)

I'm going to use this thread to chronicle the setup of my latest venture. It's a 100 gallon planted tank that was up and running as a reef tank until the beginning of October 2004. I switched to a planted tank for a variety of reasons, the main one being the beauty. The reef was nice, but it was just too harsh of an environment for my liking. The tank's in my living room and is the first thing you see when you come in the front door. I've already taken a lot of cat naps on the couch that's nearby as the utter silence of the tank (a brand new experience for me) coupled with the relaxing environment inside is more than any insomniac could bare .

The tank itself is a SeaClear 60x18x20. It's lit by 4 GE Daylight Ultra NO bulbs (6500K) driven off of IceCap VHO ballasts. I'm estimating roughly 2.5 wpg under this configuration and I may add another bulb or 2 as time goes on depending on how things go. The tank is filtered by an Eheim 2028. I'm running pressurized CO2 via a DIY bubble counter and in-line reactor. The substrate is 100% Eco-Complete

So far, it's a mixed bag of plants as I want to have several varieties of fast growers in there initially and also to see what does well in my tank. My theme for the fish is heading towards "one large tank, many small fish". I've got a school of silver tips in there now, a few panda corys, 7 otocinclus and a few kuhli loaches. I'm thinking the largest fish that will go in there will be no larger than a dwarf gourami.

Wow, sorry for being longwinded, enjoy, and please provide me with any constructive criticism as this is my first serious attempt at a planted tank. I'll shutup now and post a picture or 2, or 5 .

The tank is ready to be filled:

Here's a full tank shot as of 11/10/2004:

Left side:

Right side:

The CO2 system:

"I'd like to think oysters transcend national barriers." - Roger Waters

Eheim Pimp Club Member #64

My old 100 Gallon SeaClear established 11/7/2004. 4 GE Daylight Ultras on IceCap VHO ballasts. 3" Eco-complete substrate. Eheim 2028, pressurized CO2, external reactor. 18 watt Turbo Twist UV.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=11648

Last edited by Silent Running; 02-25-2007 at 02:59 AM..
Silent Running is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2004, 04:57 PM   #2
Ibn
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (8/100%)

Good looking start so far. Man, talk about some nice looking wood you have there. I can't find anything that looks like that around here...

Keep us updated. All these tank logs that have been popping up are awesome.

Ibn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2004, 05:42 AM   #3
Silent Running
Planted Tank Obsessed

Hey thanks Eric. I'm hoping it fills in nicely and that I'm able to get the hang of aquascaping. Thanks to everyone for the help thus far and in particular to those who have kindly sent me plants. I really appreciate it!

Paul

ps. got the driftwood on ebay...

My old 100 Gallon SeaClear established 11/7/2004. 4 GE Daylight Ultras on IceCap VHO ballasts. 3" Eco-complete substrate. Eheim 2028, pressurized CO2, external reactor. 18 watt Turbo Twist UV.
Old 11-14-2004, 08:49 PM   #4
BlueRam
Wannabe Guru

Nice tank! I especially like the silvertip entering 'warp speed' on the right.

You might want to throw a chain or other restraint around the CO2 bottle. I hear they ruin regulators when they tip. You might also feed a few algae wafers for the ottos until there is some work for them to do.
BlueRam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2004, 11:49 PM   #5
casadeskunk_m
Algae Grower

Send a message via Yahoo to casadeskunk_m

I second the comments on the driftwood If you don't mnd me asking how much did it cost you?
Old 11-15-2004, 12:40 AM   #6
Silent Running
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks for the nice words. Thanks again BlueRam for your personal contributions to the tank! So far, they look like they're doing well and growing. And yes, those silvertips can really move! I've tried to get some clear shots of them, but my photography skills (or lack thereof) are no match for their speed

The driftwood (there are 3 pieces in there) from left to right were $26, $4 and $8.50.

Old 11-15-2004, 08:54 PM   #7
MentaldisordeR
Algae Grower

wow thats a very nice tank you got there....both the tank and the stand....wow thos 2 pieces of drift wood are awesome cant wait to see it when everything grows in
MentaldisordeR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2004, 10:13 PM   #8
pufferfreak
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via MSN to pufferfreak Send a message via Yahoo to pufferfreak

I love the look, when the plants start growing your going to have a jungle on your hands! Great tank!
pufferfreak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2004, 10:13 PM   #9
Georgiadawgger
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

Lookin' good Paul! With pressurized, give it a bit of time and you'll be giving cuttings away too! You might want to strap down that CO2 tank somehow...my only suggestion. The stand and tank look great. One of these days I may be able to afford one like that!!
Old 11-15-2004, 10:19 PM   #10
sn8k
Planted Member

Great start - it's certainly going to look awesome as the tank matures . The driftwood you selected is quite unique and are really exceptional pieces. Best of luck - looking forward to the updates
Eheim Pimp Club Member #37

Custom All Glass 90 Gal (48x14x30) - Eheim 2028 Pro II - 8w AquaUV Sterilizer - 48" Aqualight 2-65W 6700K & 2-55W 9325K - (4) 3/4Watt Aqualight Lunar Blue-Moon-Glow LEDs - 160lbs EcoComplete substrate - Dupla Therm 500 substrate heater w/Temp Control - Hydor ETH300 inline heater - pressurized Co2 w/pH controller - Reactor 1000 CO2 - & lots of other misc. crap
sn8k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2004, 12:25 AM   #11
Silent Running
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks again for the encouragement folks! I'm definitely enjoying watching it take shape and am holding my breath waiting for the first bump in the road. So far, though, everything seems to be going well (knock on driftwood ). I've added a few more plants and fish since the original post, so here's an updated shot as of this evening...

ps. I've got the CO2 strapped in place now

Old 11-16-2004, 09:23 PM   #12
Ibn
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (8/100%)

It's starting to fill in if you compare the before and after pics. Nice, considering that it's only been a week.

Ibn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2004, 04:56 AM   #13
Silent Running
Planted Tank Obsessed

Default 11/20/2004 Update

Here's an updated shot as of tonight. The rotala, bacopa (both behind the large driftwood) and limnophila on the left are really starting to take off as is the hornwort in the middle. There's some sunset hygro in the back left as well that's starting to go. I can't figure out why the hygro in the right foreground hasn't done anything yet.?. Anyway, thanks for looking and again, any input is appreciated...

Old 12-01-2004, 10:02 PM   #14
Silent Running
Planted Tank Obsessed

Here's an update as of 11/28 (3 weeks in). Things are coming along nicely thus far. I'm looking for input as to what to do with the right side of the tank.

Full tank:

Left Side:

Right Side (HELP! ):

Old 12-01-2004, 10:07 PM   #15
BlueRam
Wannabe Guru

Silent Running

Would you like to try some crypts? I have some to trade.
BlueRam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.