Opinions wanted for Aqua Medic CO2 1000 hookup - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 11-14-2004, 12:04 AM   #16
Buck
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (3/100%)

Has anyone ever tried running it off its own powerhead and not inline with a filter ? Would this work ? I just had my 2nd XP2 take a dirt nap on me and I am down to one filter for now and DONT feel like buying another filter right now. The flow rate on the one XP2 will not be enough by itself if I hook up this reactor to it Im sure.

Old 11-14-2004, 12:12 AM   #17
fishyboy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

dirt nap? you mean it died.. thats the first time i've heard of a filstar dieing...

You can easily do it off a powerhead bu it's one more thing inside the tank and it wouldn't be filtered water
fishyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 12:13 AM   #18
Rolo
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

As an example, Drs. Foster & Smith has an all-in-one system and they use an exteral pump instead for their reactor. Only downside I see is the reactor is going to fill with alot of junk.

You would want a prefilter sponge on the intake at the least.

Last edited by Rolo; 11-14-2004 at 03:15 AM..
Rolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 07:35 AM   #19
Hypancistrus
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolo
As an example, Drs. Foster & Smith has an all-in-one system and they use an exteral pump instead for their reactor.
In fact, they use the Maxi-Jet 1200, like me.
Hypancistrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 11:12 AM   #20
Buck
Planted Tank VIP

Quote:
dirt nap? you mean it died.. thats the first time i've heard of a filstar dieing...
Well it isnt exactly dead, I had it sitting "unused" for about a month or so and when I plugged it in it yesterday as a quick test it was making a terrible screeching sound. It could be a piece of dry debris hanging up in the impellor. Today I am going to run it in a bucket of water to see if it will clear itself, but the sound is very strange and LOUD and coming from inside the sealed motor. This is the newer of the two filters, maybe a year or so old I believe. The original XP2 is still going strong flawlessly.
Old 11-14-2004, 11:24 AM   #21
Buck
Planted Tank VIP

Quote:
In fact, they use the Maxi-Jet 1200, like me.
Hypancistrus, you keep calling that an external pump when it is really just an internal powerhead. Are you using it in the tank or outside ?
Old 11-14-2004, 11:56 AM   #22
Buck
Planted Tank VIP

False alarm... The XP2 Lives !
It had a large chunk of "something" lodged in it and it is ouside running in a bucket as nicely as the day it came out of the box, so I am back in business. Now I can remove the waterfall Whisper HOB and go with the reactor inline with the second XP2.

And to think I was gonna buy an Eheim as its replacement... NOT !
Old 11-14-2004, 01:26 PM   #23
fishyboy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

we should start a filstar club... i'd gladly take a filstar over a eheim and then spend my money on something more worth while,. because mine make so little noice for some reason, wheather thats normal or not but mine i can't hea rmuch at all.. But i have my 75 and my 55 right next to eachother and the 55 has emperor filters and older lights
fishyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 09:40 PM   #24
Buck
Planted Tank VIP

Quote:
we should start a filstar club...
We will leave the "clubs" to the big dollar boys, us countryfolk dont need a label on our jeans to make them sexy !

Anyways, get a load of this...
I got the filter working sweet again, I got the super kool, science project lookin AQM 1000 Reactor and the AQM Bubble Counter mounted and wired for sound.. dont laugh, this is a huge jump for me (remember Im cheap!) and now what do you think is holding me up from pumpin some water through this new gizmo ?

A STUPID CAP FOR THE INLET PIPE on my XP2... !!!!

I cant find it anywhere , I have searched every box , every corner lookin for it.I gave up, I went online and just found the part #'s and phone number to Rena, I have to order one OR rig it up half arsed ! The latter is not an option by the way....
While I am at it I think I will order a few more elbows, they just dont give you enough of them things to get creative.

This really sucks ! Nothing is ever easy...
Old 11-14-2004, 10:02 PM   #25
Buck
Planted Tank VIP

By the way if anyone out there is stupid like me and loses parts or if you find yourself wanting additional fittings here is a good breakdown of the filters with part #'s and a phone number to call from work tomorrow !

Rena Filstar Filter Parts List
Old 11-14-2004, 11:00 PM   #26
Hypancistrus
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck
Hypancistrus, you keep calling that an external pump when it is really just an internal powerhead. Are you using it in the tank or outside ?
As I said before, it can be used internally or externally. It is considered both a powerhead and an external pump. If it wasn't meant to be used externally, then mine wouldn't be working great, and would have failed long ago.

This is in fact the pump that Fosters & Smith includes in their Deluxe CO2 package. Look at the page --> http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...al&Np=1&N=2004:

Quote:
System includes: CO2 Pressure Regulator with solenoid, Bubble Counter, Maxijet Powerhead, Pinpoint pH Controller, 20 ft Silicone Tubing, 10 ft Flexible Vinyl 1/2" Tubing, Aqua Medic CO2 Reactor 1000, Water Pump Return Spout, ball valve, and plastic clamps. Assembly instructions included.
Take a look at the page for the Maxi-Jet:

Quote:
The included accessory kit allows you to convert the Maxi-Jet pump into a powerhead.
If you don't want to believe me, then that's your choice. But I have no reason to be making this all up.
Hypancistrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 11:26 PM   #27
Georgiadawgger
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

What about this?

http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/...id=2181&pcid1=

It is expensive though

You'd get a lot out of this pump. I can't remember where I saw this when I searched Google a long time ago on a "DIY pressurized setup". But this is what the guy was using for his AM reactor. You could also get the added flow for dead spots for your tank. Not to mention you could be pimpin'
Old 11-14-2004, 11:36 PM   #28
WfxXx
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (125/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to WfxXx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiadawgger
Not to mention you could be pimpin'
Old 11-15-2004, 12:06 AM   #29
Buck
Planted Tank VIP

Quote:
If you don't want to believe me, then that's your choice. But I have no reason to be making this all up
. Hypancistrus the links you posted say "submersible" and even the picture that Fosters/Smith uses for the CO2 kit shows it in the tank...not outside. The powerhead "conversion" is simply the cone strainer for a stack and the flipper and aerator hose for an undergravel but I still believe that it is designed to run submerged and cooled by the water.
Maybe I am reading it wrong and lookin at the picture wrong. How long have you had it running this way ?
Old 11-15-2004, 12:10 AM   #30
Buck
Planted Tank VIP

Gdawwger I was lookin at that pump today, its an Eheim so it must be good. For 20 more dollars though I could buy an entire new XP2 to run inline with my reactor... LOL... Imagine that Eheimer's ?

I should be all set now that I know the filter works, once I get the new cap for it of course.