Our 155 gallon planted aquarium with AquaTerra 3D background. - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 09-20-2010, 08:00 PM   #31
cah925
Fear the Swamp!

PTrader: (173/100%)

I love projects like this. It's fun to watch them come together.
cah925 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2010, 07:12 PM   #32
Herbicidal
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cah925 View Post
I love projects like this. It's fun to watch them come together.
Thank you! It will be fun to look back on the pictures as time goes by to see the changes.
Herbicidal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2010, 07:14 PM   #33
Centromochlus
Honeycomb Master

PTrader: (117/100%)

Woooowwww. :O I wish i would have gotten a foam background now. Jealous!

Centromochlus is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2010, 01:07 AM   #34
Herbicidal
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzFishKid View Post
Woooowwww. :O I wish i would have gotten a foam background now. Jealous!
Thanks! Decided to try something different and I was fortunate to be able to afford one. Plus a LOT of overtime hours at work didn't hurt anything either.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:47 PM   #35
Herbicidal
Planted Member

Default A few more pictures...

Driftwood piece from Aquariumplants.com. It's about 22" tall and again about that wide at the base. I have a couple of other smaller pieces that I'm trying out. This piece is soaking since it wanted to float.

My water changing equipment. High angle view looking down. Pond pump with hose attachment, Rena XP3 with peat in one chamber to reduce the pH, air pump with two air stones for aeration and three short lengths of tubing to flow water from one 32 gallon trash can to the other for water circulation between both cans. Two, 150 watt heaters are coming so I can leave it overnight and keep the temperature up to 85 degrees. I take the lids and set them on upside down so that the water drips back into the cans and not down the outside. Works great!

Under the stand view. Since both the left and right most cabinets have a pass-through hole in the back, I installed plug strips (for the filters, heaters and lights) and a short florescent light fixture held to the underside with Velcro. The two center cabinets don't have electricity, so I'm using battery powered LED lights instead. Now I can easily see inside.

I'll try to get a few pics of the aquarium with the starter plants (Anubias) and driftwood posted soon. I have some Rams, Clown Loaches and some Rummy Nose Tetra's in there now. My camera can't handle the speed of the fish moving around, they are all a blur.

Last edited by Herbicidal; 09-09-2012 at 08:04 PM.. Reason: Fixing broken picture links.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:56 PM   #36
shewolfgeo
Algae Grower

PTrader: (13/100%)

how exciting. Loving everything so far.
shewolfgeo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2010, 08:27 PM   #37
Herbicidal
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shewolfgeo View Post
how exciting. Loving everything so far.
Thank you!

Here's a few pictures with a couple of plants from a LFS. Gotta start somewhere right? I'm working on getting more plants too, of course!

Finally filled with water, substrate, some driftwood, some plants and fish. More plants coming and another piece of driftwood, then I'll redo the plants and driftwood. I had to get the driftwood out of the bathtub! There is a blur about a 1/3 of the way over from the right that is a Clown loach zooming by.

Semi-close up of the left hand side. More fishy blurs!

Semi-close up of the right hand side. Looks like a Ram is barely visible beneath the driftwood in the shadow.

Angled view of entire aquarium.

Corner end view showing a partial view behind the 3D background. I had to add some brown weather stripping to fill a small gap between the background and the glass. The Clown Loaches were slipping behind the background. Sneaky guys! I plan to paint the glass black from the edge of the background to the back of the aquarium.

Small Anubias in Eco-Complete substrate. C'mon! Grow, baby grow!

Discovered the light level is too low to even be considered 'low light'! I bought a pair of 36" dual bulb fixtures from Catalina Lighting with two 6,500 k bulbs and two 10,000 k bulbs. Now I need to remove the Lowes shop lights from the canopy and install the new ones. I still have a number of things on my 'to-do' list, but don't we all? The water is tinged a bit yellow from the driftwood and it will probably take awhile for it to clear even with regular water changes.

I've got my eye on some Discus at the LFS, so hopefully I'll have some in the aquarium soon! All the water parameters are looking good and the pH is stable @ 7.3 - 7.4. Maybe a little high for ideal conditions for Discus, but it is stable. Water temp is @ 85 degrees and drops only a degree during the cooler overnight hours. So far so good.

Last edited by Herbicidal; 09-09-2012 at 08:02 PM.. Reason: Fixing broken picture links.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:03 PM   #38
VadimShevchuk
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via AIM to VadimShevchuk Send a message via Skype™ to VadimShevchuk

the dark substrate with your background is epic! BTW don't plant the rhizome in the substrate on anubias. Only bury the roots or the plant will rot.
VadimShevchuk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2010, 09:10 PM   #39
malaybiswas
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (40/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to malaybiswas

Sweet! Discus will be great in this tank. remove the question mark against them in your first post
Old 09-23-2010, 09:10 PM   #40
malaybiswas
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (40/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to malaybiswas

BTW, how can this material be cleaned off algae?
Old 09-23-2010, 10:15 PM   #41
Herbicidal
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VadimShevchuk View Post
the dark substrate with your background is epic! BTW don't plant the rhizome in the substrate on anubias. Only bury the roots or the plant will rot.
Thanks for the compliment and the tip! I'll carefully raise them up a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malaybiswas View Post
Sweet! Discus will be great in this tank. remove the question mark against them in your first post
I will have to do that! I went back and forth for a couple of weeks on whether I would make it a Discus tank. I have finally decided I am!

Quote:
Originally Posted by malaybiswas View Post
BTW, how can this material be cleaned off algae?
Long term, I'm not really sure. I have three Otto's in there now and I may need more. I'm hoping the cleaning crew will help. We'll see where the algae grows and I may let it do it's own thing. If I opt to clean it, I would probably use a fairly soft brush of some kind. The background and color is pretty stout, so as long as I'm careful, I should be able OK. For now, I'll let nature take it's course and see what happens.
Old 09-23-2010, 10:32 PM   #42
efface
Planted Tank Obsessed

Good stuff herbicial!

Impressed with home clean it turned out.
efface is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2010, 12:01 AM   #43
cah925
Fear the Swamp!

PTrader: (173/100%)

I agree, that background with the dark gravel looks incredible.
cah925 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2010, 04:00 PM   #44
Herbicidal
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by efface View Post
Good stuff herbicial!

Impressed with home clean it turned out.
Thank you! I was trying very hard to make the "install" as clean as possible. The devil's in the details! I would do it this way again in a heartbeat. The only difference would be maybe getting a 180 gallon, same length, just deeper from front to back. The background I selected doesn't project too far into the "space", but it would be nice to have more foreground room for plants, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cah925 View Post
I agree, that background with the dark gravel looks incredible.
Thanks! I'm very pleased with the contrast and it should really make the colors of the 'soon to be' Discus just pop!
Old 09-24-2010, 08:41 PM   #45
RipariumGuy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

This is making me cry it is so awesome! Just so you know though, the rhizome (the thick green thing that all the leaves are attatched to) of the Anubias will rot if it is buried in the substrate.
Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3
RipariumGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.