Paintball Co2 Injection DIY Setup with Tons of Photos - Page 92
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 03-01-2011, 07:39 PM   #1366
Burks
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

Dicks charged $6 for 20-24oz tanks to be filled in my area.

I ordered a new tank off eBay, $20 vs $35 in stores.
Filstar Pimp #84
Burks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2011, 08:46 PM   #1367
jasonh
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via AIM to jasonh

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel89 View Post
Yes but remember most of these people are not paintballers. Don't want anyone to snickers on there self when they just go and unscrew it after they turn the asa off lol
Honestly it'll do it no matter how it's mounted I would think. I'm surprised nobody has had their ASA/NV go flying while unscrewing the bottle (or, if it did happen they didn't tell us)
Old 03-01-2011, 09:48 PM   #1368
Blackstar65
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I am getting ready to build one once my parts get here. I plan on running it through a new Ion reg I had laying around. I will be placing the reg between the bottle and the needle valve. Since it's a LP reg with a max out put of 200 psi I will use the reg to back the pressure down two about 100 psi and fine tune it with a needle valve. I bought a Taam Rio single Co2 controller used and that will be my bottle hook up.
Blackstar65 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2011, 09:59 PM   #1369
g33tar
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

Just thought Id swing in and say I finally went and got my tank refilled this afternoon after 5 full months of use at about 2 bps in my 24oz tank.
The gauge was still at about 100 psi and putting out bubbles, but I had some extra time and figured I'd keep myself busy. Im sure it would have lasted another week at least.

Cost me a whopping 4.50 to get refilled...I didnt realize co2 refills were so affordable... I figured it would be like 15 or something.

I think we should start a Jaggedfury appreciation fan club similiar to the filter pimp clubs.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:22 PM   #1370
daniel89

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonh View Post
Honestly it'll do it no matter how it's mounted I would think. I'm surprised nobody has had their ASA/NV go flying while unscrewing the bottle (or, if it did happen they didn't tell us)
Totally agree it would happen no matter how it was mounted i just wanted to throw it out there as i had a tank brust out the threads while i was unscrewing it and it hit the ground and the brust disk went pop and it went crazy.
daniel89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2011, 11:29 PM   #1371
rekles75
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (104/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by g33tar View Post
Just thought Id swing in and say I finally went and got my tank refilled this afternoon after 5 full months of use at about 2 bps in my 24oz tank.
The gauge was still at about 100 psi and putting out bubbles, but I had some extra time and figured I'd keep myself busy. Im sure it would have lasted another week at least.

Cost me a whopping 4.50 to get refilled...I didnt realize co2 refills were so affordable... I figured it would be like 15 or something.

I think we should start a Jaggedfury appreciation fan club similiar to the filter pimp clubs.

Is that 5 Months 24 hours a day without a solenoid?

Does everyone pretty much run their setup without a solenoid?

55 GAL #1---55 GAL #2 ---10 GAL---4 GAL Finnex---ALL SCAPES HAVE BEEN RETIRED.
rekles75 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2011, 12:39 AM   #1372
g33tar
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekles75 View Post

Yea no solenoid here. I run it all day 95% of the time. Ill turn it off at night if Im feeling fancy.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:46 AM   #1373
Jaggedfury
Twin Turbo Lexus SC300

PTrader: (135/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldmantis View Post
anyone had an issue with the swagelok closing, I have 3 of them and one seems to be closing on me, maybe I wrenched the nut below the turn knob too tight?
Never had a problem with a Swagelok Needle Valve. Used 4 of them on 4 setups. Sold those and still til this day still using 1 of the Swagelok Needle Valve. You have to keep in mind, just because it's a higher grade brand Needle Valve, doesn't mean it doesn't have problem. Ditch it and get a new one after trying to fix it the best you can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonh View Post
I think I should of written or stated a more detailed instructions. Like baby steps.

As mentioned before. If you're going to remove your Paintball Co2 tank. Follow the steps in order below.

1. Turn Needle Valve fully closed.
2. Twist the Top "Knob" on the ASA On/Off Valve fully upward or out depending on your ASA On/Off Valve.
3. Slight open the Needle Valve back up to release the remaining pressure build up in the ASA On/Off Valve's Chamber. Wait until the pressure Gauge drops to 0 psi.
4. Lift the Paintball Co2 Tank up off the ground and twist it off. OR, twist off the ASA On/Off Valve.

The remaining pressure that's in the ASA On/Off Valve Chamber will not blow the ASA On/Off Valve off the Pin Valve on the Paintball Co2 Tank.

Quote:

Not that many people are running a solenoid with these setups. I've gotten 3 people that uses a Solenoid on it and it was in Canada. Not sure how Canadian spec solenoids fuctionally is.

I run it 24/7 x 3 Setup.

Quote:

Awesome! Thanks for sticking it through and keeping track of months. I remembered your post back in the days.. we'll 5-6 months ago lol.

These setup will last, will save you money. Considering that you set it up right and not half ass it. Pardon my speech lol. Do it right the first time.

No fan club needed. So how about nominations for President like you mentioned months ago lol.

Jaggedfury is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2011, 06:52 AM   #1374
dZilla
Algae Grower

So these are the two types of Watts needle valvles that are on the homedepot.ca website...

But both only state a working pressure of 75psi?

Anyone in Canada find where to get these?
dZilla is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2011, 01:40 PM   #1375
Jaggedfury
Twin Turbo Lexus SC300

PTrader: (135/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dZilla View Post
So these are the two types of Watts needle valvles that are on the homedepot.ca website...

But both only state a working pressure of 75psi?

Anyone in Canada find where to get these?
If you're referring to the latest setups for the past 2.5 months, they are not Watts Needle Valve.

The reason, I ventured out and experimented with different Needle Valve is due to some folks here having problems with the Watts Needle Valve. Some worked fine and some didn't.

I am not sure if these were bad batches made and distributed to different distributors.

No bad words against Watt's line of products. I have seen their line of Regulator as well. Just haven't found the right couplers to mate onto the Regulator.

The Needle Valve I uses in Option #3 and #4 are bought from a Mom and Pop shops locally owned here in town. There's 4 of them within a 20 mile radius. They are not available anywhere else beside there. Although I understand that there are Needle Valves that looks the same and such being sold elsewhere, those have not been tested by myself so I can't say.

I got numerous response from employees and manager as well that the Needle Valve they provide will handle my setup. I have brought my setup into the store and showed them the projected Goal that I would like to achieve. Explain the trapped pressure amount and so fort. They assured me that the Needle Valve will tolerate it with no problem. I highly trust it and been using 2 of the Option #3 setup myself.

Down to technical aspect of the specs on the Needle Valve. I wouldn't be able to tell you. If you don't half as a job and make sure things are screwed on tight you will not have any problems. Do it right the first time so you don't 'have to fiddle with it down the line.

Jaggedfury is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2011, 02:18 PM   #1376
sailnut
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

<
Cost me a whopping 4.50 to get refilled...I didnt realize co2 refills were so affordable...>

Here on Staten Island, NY fire extinguisher and industrial gas suppliers are charging $4/lb. The local painball operation is the same. As best I can determine its universal in the city
sailnut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2011, 05:23 PM   #1377
rekles75
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (104/100%)

OK, I set everything up. I teflon taped the Needle Valve, tighten the screw for the CO2 tubing. Connected everything to the paintball cylinder and put the diffusser in the tank. When I turn the regulator and the needle valve on the CO2 tube blasted off the diffusser and released all my CO2 in the tank. The PSI on the tank was 800psi, right at the end of the green marking. What went wrong?

55 GAL #1---55 GAL #2 ---10 GAL---4 GAL Finnex---ALL SCAPES HAVE BEEN RETIRED.
rekles75 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2011, 05:47 PM   #1378
daniel89

Quote:
OK, I set everything up. I teflon taped the Needle Valve, tighten the screw for the CO2 tubing. Connected everything to the paintball cylinder and put the diffusser in the tank. When I turn the regulator and the needle valve on the CO2 tube blasted off the diffusser and released all my CO2 in the tank. The PSI on the tank was 800psi, right at the end of the green marking. What went wrong?
Sounds like you turned the needle valve to fast or it failed either way i would suggest finding a new needle valve. Correct me if i am wrong here guys.
daniel89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2011, 05:53 PM   #1379
g33tar
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yea sounds like you twisted it too far. With my needle valve, to get it to run at about 1-2 bps, its literally just a smidge more than the closed position.

Like, if closed is 0% and wide open is 100%, 2bps is probably 1% for me.
Old 03-02-2011, 06:37 PM   #1380
HolyAngel
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
Send a message via AIM to HolyAngel

Quote:
Yea sounds like you twisted it too far. With my needle valve, to get it to run at about 1-2 bps, its literally just a smidge more than the closed position.

Like, if closed is 0% and wide open is 100%, 2bps is probably 1% for me.
+1 that's exactly how it is. If the tube blew off, it sounds more like you didn't have it seated in the needle valve properly. I would check that. It shouldnt blow out or be able to even be pulled out once it's properly seated in the nv.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.