Paintball Co2 Injection DIY Setup with Tons of Photos - Page 77
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 01-22-2011, 06:03 PM   #1141
Jaggedfury
Twin Turbo Lexus SC300

PTrader: (135/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEden8 View Post
So should I get it refilled or let it run out? I was not able to find any leaks with this either.
Did you follow the steps in trying to find out if it has leakage?

That should be the first thing you do once you set it up before you even start to use it in your tank. If there is leakage, you will just waste co2 gas.

What I would do if I were you is to make sure there no leakage first.

Put the Paintball tank in a another tank or a bucket of water. Leave it on the way it is with co2 coming out. Submerse the ASA On/Off Valve along with the Needle Valve into a bucket of water. Inspect to see if you notice any bubble forming. If here is bubbles forming or rising, you have leakage.

This will be the problem to your 900-600 drop psi in 2 weeks assuming your bps isn't 4-6.

Try it now with the tank the way the way it is. Don't let it run out or else you won't be able to find the leakage if any. It needs to have pressure left in the tank in order to find leaks.

Let me know

Jaggedfury is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2011, 06:17 PM   #1142
JEden8
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

Well I guess what I'm trying to get at is is it bad to let the tank run completely out or should you refill it before it gets to that point? I thought I read somewhere that you never want your tank to run completely out but don't remember where I read it at. Thanks!
JEden8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 06:36 PM   #1143
Jaggedfury
Twin Turbo Lexus SC300

The only reason to not let your tank run completely out is so water doesn't siphon backward into the paintball co2 tank. If water siphon backward into the co2 tank, this will make it not 100% usable. Might even won't be able to refill anymore.

There are ways to help eliminate this problem.

-Place your Paintball setup tank higher than the tank.
-Use a Check Valve
-Don't let your tank run completely empty, I would refill once it hits 50psi.

If you are cautious of this, there is no excuse to not have a gauge. Even 1 Thread ASA On/Off Vale can be rig up to use a Gauge in the same path as the Needle Valve.

Hope that helps.

Let me know.

Old 01-22-2011, 10:09 PM   #1144
boredouttahell
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Hey Jagged,

I got my tank set up fine with the watts A-41 with out any leaks. I was just wondering if its possible to add on a solenoid for it to auto shut off at night.
boredouttahell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 11:55 PM   #1145
mmelnick
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredouttahell View Post
Hey Jagged,

I got my tank set up fine with the watts A-41 with out any leaks. I was just wondering if its possible to add on a solenoid for it to auto shut off at night.
I was wondering the same. I've been told by others on the forum that you can't use one with a paintball tank. But wasn't sure.

I'm guessing that this method without a regulator is too much pressure for most solenoids.
mmelnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 12:00 AM   #1146
timobxsci
Algae Grower

Can you please PM me a link on where I can buy the needle valve and on/off valve? I'm really scared to buy anything that might not work ! LOL
timobxsci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 12:03 AM   #1147
Jaggedfury
Twin Turbo Lexus SC300

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredouttahell View Post
Hey Jagged,

As of right now, I only know two people that have put solenoid on this setup. If you go back 40 pages or so, you will see photos of it. I don't recall page but it's there. Maybe you can PM that person and ask further questions.

I myself am not away of how a solenoid will function with this setup. Is it possible? Yes, just no one has step up the plate to try it. By all means, if you want to try it out, go for it and let us know.

At the moment, Not really worth my time to put one together. I have Nano tanks that I use these PB setup on.

Try it and let me know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmelnick View Post
I was wondering the same. I've been told by others on the forum that you can't use one with a paintball tank. But wasn't sure.

I'm guessing that this method without a regulator is too much pressure for most solenoids.

I can tell you a fact that you will need a regulator in order to use a solenoid.

From asking my supplier who makes the ASA On/Off Valve about a regulator. This is his response. From what he said, he's been experiment for awhile now. These were his words.

"Well just for an FYI no matter what way you go a regulator is not cheap. I've experimented with a lot of setups. Especially for plant life / aquarium.
A cheap regulator doesn't work and a good regulator works well but is expensive compared to a cheap setup you are prob going for with paintball co2 tanks. You almost need 2 regulators to make it work good.
The trick is bringing paintball co2 tanks from 800 psi to 1 or 2 psi takes a high pressure regulator and a low pressure one after it. Then you won't over pressure the valve."

Old 01-23-2011, 01:26 AM   #1148
mmelnick
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggedfury View Post
As of right now, I only know two people that have put solenoid on this setup. If you go back 40 pages or so, you will see photos of it. I don't recall page but it's there. Maybe you can PM that person and ask further questions.

I myself am not away of how a solenoid will function with this setup. Is it possible? Yes, just no one has step up the plate to try it. By all means, if you want to try it out, go for it and let us know.

At the moment, Not really worth my time to put one together. I have Nano tanks that I use these PB setup on.

Try it and let me know.

I can tell you a fact that you will need a regulator in order to use a solenoid.

From asking my supplier who makes the ASA On/Off Valve about a regulator. This is his response. From what he said, he's been experiment for awhile now. These were his words.

"Well just for an FYI no matter what way you go a regulator is not cheap. I've experimented with a lot of setups. Especially for plant life / aquarium.
A cheap regulator doesn't work and a good regulator works well but is expensive compared to a cheap setup you are prob going for with paintball co2 tanks. You almost need 2 regulators to make it work good.
The trick is bringing paintball co2 tanks from 800 psi to 1 or 2 psi takes a high pressure regulator and a low pressure one after it. Then you won't over pressure the valve."

Thanks, that's what I though.
mmelnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 02:19 AM   #1149
boredouttahell
Algae Grower

Heres my Set Up:
I put in a regulator that i had lying around to fine tune the output from the Needle valve. the extra gauge is overkill though... it just reads 0 all the time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0001.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	26769  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0004.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	145.5 KB
ID:	26770  

Last edited by boredouttahell; 01-23-2011 at 05:33 PM..
boredouttahell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 03:54 PM   #1150
Jaggedfury
Twin Turbo Lexus SC300

boredoutthehell, you're photo isn't showing.

Old 01-23-2011, 05:34 PM   #1151
boredouttahell
Algae Grower

Quote:
boredoutthehell, you're photo isn't showing.
How about now? I was trying something new because i was running out of space in my attachments.
Old 01-23-2011, 05:48 PM   #1152
Jaggedfury
Twin Turbo Lexus SC300

It's working now, I can see that working. I thought when you mentioned the gauge was a over kill. I was only assuming 1 Gauge. Now I see the pictures and it looks great.

How fine tune can you go with that?
How precise your psi on your 2nd gauge reads out at?
Shouldn't the 2nd Gauge be install after the Regulator?

It would be nice to see how many psi it's regulated to. Depending on how precise that 2nd Gauge reads out psi, I know Automotive Turbo/Boost Gauges reads increments of 1 - 20 and even more at time. That might give you a exact precise regulated reading.

Old 01-23-2011, 06:32 PM   #1153
boredouttahell
Algae Grower

Quote:
It's working now, I can see that working. I thought when you mentioned the gauge was a over kill. I was only assuming 1 Gauge. Now I see the pictures and it looks great.

How fine tune can you go with that?
How precise your psi on your 2nd gauge reads out at?
Shouldn't the 2nd Gauge be install after the Regulator?

It would be nice to see how many psi it's regulated to. Depending on how precise that 2nd Gauge reads out psi, I know Automotive Turbo/Boost Gauges reads increments of 1 - 20 and even more at time. That might give you a exact precise regulated reading.
I could actually go down to really fine tune, if i set the needle valve to 1bps then i can fine tune it anywhere in between 0.0-0.9bpm

The 2nd gauge goes from 0-160psi so its pretty hard to see the small psi we will be putting out, thats why i called it overkill.

I wondered about the location of the second gauge as well, i can switch really easily with the quick connect, ill try and see the difference when i hook it up to my diffuser today.
Old 01-23-2011, 10:25 PM   #1154
zz_its_me
Algae Grower

Default Burst disc blew

I just had a burst disc go on a full 20oz tank.

I got two 20oz tanks filled a week ago Saturday. One I hooked up to the ASA/swagelok and it is supplying co2 to the fish tank. The other one was to be the spare and was just sitting under there in the cabinet. It had been the tank I used to supply the CO2 last month with no problems.

Boy was this exciting to say the least. I'm sitting there in the dark watching TV when BAMM!!!!! WHOOSH!!!! BANG!!! CLANG!!!! the spare tank is bouncing around inside the cabinet. I had to wait 5 minute before I could open the door on the cabinet and it was still rolling around some and covered in thick ice. I have no idea why this would happen. It had been sitting there for a week all quiet.

While waiting for the LOUD HISSING to stop I figured something had happened to the swagelok valve. I was really surprised when I found out it was the spare tank.

Anyway just wanted to let you know this happened. If you have spare full tanks sitting around make sure that they are contained in some way. I don't think this would have been any fun had it been out in the open.

ZZ
zz_its_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 10:43 PM   #1155
Jaggedfury
Twin Turbo Lexus SC300

Crazy. Burst Disc are often times changed by the person filling your co2 tank, if the store is related to Paintball Sports. They will know this, during the process of refilling your tank. The Burst Disc will make a hissing sound if it's leaking/not good anymore.

The person refilling your Paintball tank, can also refill it too much which will cause stress on the Burst Disc itself which will lessen it's usage. (You will have to replace it more often)

Either you purchased a overly Used Tank, with Use parts on it such as the Burst Disc, or after so many time of refilling the tank too much, it weaken the Burst Disc.

In no way are you to mess with the Burst Disc unless you are 200% sure it's completely empty. I still don't recommend people even messing with the Burst Disc. Taking it to a professional refilling station and they'll be glad to you help you remove it and install new one. They have a special way of making sure the pressure on the Paintball Tank itself is completed Drained. It is also held in a secure type vise grip cradle, in case of mishap where the Burst Disc dislodge itself.