Paintball Co2 Injection DIY Setup with Tons of Photos - Page 51
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 12-19-2010, 02:54 AM   #751
Jaggedfury
Twin Turbo Lexus SC300

PTrader: (135/100%)

To be safe. I would close your ASA (Counter clockwise). Twist off the ASA unit self. Open that thread that's on the other side to plug up the gauge, should be a hex screw thread. Telfon tape it and put it back in. Tighten it to where it's hand tighten. Twist on the ASA unit. Close off your needle valve COMPLETELY. Then open your ASA thread (clockwise fully down).

Listen for any hissing sound, if so you're still leaking somewhere. If not, go ahead and open your needle valve and adjust to desire level.

Jaggedfury is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2010, 04:28 AM   #752
antbug
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldmantis View Post
did you teflon tape the needle handle part or just the connecting ends?
Just on the connecting ends

Quote:
Originally Posted by imdanny View Post
Okay so am i supposed to have the ASA opened all the way( turned clockwise) before turning on my needle valve? because before i can even turn the ASA on all the way, i hear a hissing sound. i think its coming out the bolt that is used to plug the gauge.
I had to put teflon tape on both of mine.

antbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 07:11 AM   #753
Euroamg
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Note to all using Co2 pressurized tank:
Make sure not to let your tank go really empty 50-100 bar. You should have it refilled by that time. Your Co2 tank will be filled with water & mess up your gauge. Especially when it sits lower than the aquarium tank. A pressure gauge will be nice to keep track of it.
Install a check valve to prevent water back flowing to the Co2 tank.

I have a swagelok needle valve i bought since '98 when i started planted tanks..Haven't given me any trouble all those years... Its well worth it in my opinion.

Be safe everyone. Make sure kids don't reach for the co2 tank.

Great Co2 paintball tanks.. :-)

Last edited by Euroamg; 12-22-2010 at 01:09 AM..
Euroamg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 05:34 AM   #754
coldmantis
Algae Grower

just curious if any has tried this to setup a paintball co2
http://www.tankspiration.com/2010/04...ball-supplies/
Because when I order another ASA on/off with the gauge attached from ebay and a swagelok nv it will cost me around 35ish why not just spend the same amount on a regulator with needle valve, on/off pin valve and a coupler instead. I live in Canada so everything here is expensive or you can't find it locally...

coldmantis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 04:45 PM   #755
imdanny
Algae Grower

theres a small leak comming out the bottom of my ASA. Idk what your guy's ASAs look like but mine looks like a bullet and on one side it's flat and at the bottom of that im getting lmedium sized bubbles comming out. i put teflon tape and screwed it with a wrench and it still leaks no matter what. =[. it's not something that affects the performance but its a waste of co2
imdanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 04:56 PM   #756
Jaggedfury
Twin Turbo Lexus SC300

PTrader: (135/100%)

If it's leaking below the ASA On/Off, There is a Rubber Seal "O" ring that goes on the Paintball tank thread itself. Often times, this thread get damaged and causes leaks. It's very common to replace, due to the fact that Paintball Co2 tanks gets twisted off from Paintball gun and twisted on. It's only made from rubber and it wears after a few times of twisting it on and off. Replace it. It's about $1.09 to replace.

Jaggedfury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 08:27 PM   #757
Antix
Algae Grower

After reading most of the posts in here it sounds like exactly what I was looking for for my 20L. The only thing is that I'm in Canada. When I tried to order the ASA and gauge from Amazon it came out to $50 just for the shipping and I can't seem to find a cheap ASA that would ship to Canada for a reasonable amount. Any ideas or suggestions on where I could find one?
Antix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 08:29 PM   #758
chumlee
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

Find a paintball shop or possibly just a sporting goods store around you. They should have it. It's a pretty common item in paintballing.
chumlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 10:09 PM   #759
coldmantis
Algae Grower

average cost in canada for a asa adapter is around 20 bucks, go ebay there is a silver one I got it for like under 10 bucks, but just to let you know that canadian paintball stores don't carry the asa adapter with 2 holes just the ones with 1 hole, if they have the ones with 2 holes it would probably cost like 60+
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antix View Post
After reading most of the posts in here it sounds like exactly what I was looking for for my 20L. The only thing is that I'm in Canada. When I tried to order the ASA and gauge from Amazon it came out to $50 just for the shipping and I can't seem to find a cheap ASA that would ship to Canada for a reasonable amount. Any ideas or suggestions on where I could find one?

coldmantis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 10:45 PM   #760
Eden Marel
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (38/100%)

Can this thing do a minimum of 30 PSI? I'm not sure if this PSI thing has any correlation to bubbles per second, all I'm interested in doing it 1-2 bubbles per second and maybe using the Atomic Bubble Diffuser thingy that GreenLEaf Aquarium has which needs a minimum 30psi pressure.
Old 12-22-2010, 12:52 AM   #761
keithy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eden Marel View Post
Can this thing do a minimum of 30 PSI? I'm not sure if this PSI thing has any correlation to bubbles per second, all I'm interested in doing it 1-2 bubbles per second and maybe using the Atomic Bubble Diffuser thingy that GreenLEaf Aquarium has which needs a minimum 30psi pressure.
short answer is yes. You can have 30 psi, but you will not know the output pressure with this setup. But I am sure that it can be more than 30psi if you want it to be(adjusting needle valve). The challenge with this setup is to get a low enough pressure and flow(fine tuning) so that it would be "just right" for your setup.
keithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 01:51 AM   #762
Register
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithy View Post
short answer is yes. You can have 30 psi, but you will not know the output pressure with this setup. But I am sure that it can be more than 30psi if you want it to be(adjusting needle valve). The challenge with this setup is to get a low enough pressure and flow(fine tuning) so that it would be "just right" for your setup.
It would be interesting to see what the actual pressure is post needle valve with a reg set at 30 psi. Have to give it a try.
Register is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 01:23 PM   #763
keithy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Register View Post
It would be interesting to see what the actual pressure is post needle valve with a reg set at 30 psi. Have to give it a try.
register,
In our application, we do not need the pressure to be very precise. if you really want to know the pressure there are ways, but might not be simple of economical. Even is you have a regulator set at 30psi, you have to also know the loss of the needle valve to estimate precisely what the pressure post needle valve is. Maybe somebody else can chime in on this or have some better idea of how to measure the pressure post the needle valve, but I do not think it is necessary if you're just trying to get co2 into your tank. try to base your judgement on the bubble counter rate and your drop checker and you should be good.
keithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 11:52 PM   #764
happi
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (20/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to happi

http://di105.shoppingshadow.com/imag...6&d=40.0&rt=mr
has anyone used this one and how is it working for you, just won this item for $11.00 including shipping. hopefully it will work on my 20oz painball tank.

thanks
happi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 07:46 PM   #765
accordztech
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

I went to lowes to buy that needle valve, they raised the price to 12 bucks!