Paintball Co2 Injection DIY Setup with Tons of Photos - Page 47
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 12-09-2010, 04:27 AM   #691
DvsDev
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

It's probably better if you have the hose pop off just in case your outlet volume suddenly increases e.g. the tank falls over, this way the gas doesn't purge into the tank.
I made one of these setups myself and I'd have to say that i'm really happy with the results, currently I'm waiting for a delivery on a 12v solenoid that I will mount on a T fitting that's normally open.

This way when the power is on it flows through to the tank and when the light turns off it diverts to inside my cabinet, a extra safety feature since if the power should cut for some reason the gas will just slowly purge.
This saves on fitting a noisy air pump that turns on after the light turns off, the price for the valve is $50NZD (roughly $40USD).
I am aware this is wasteful of the gas but it's so cheap to refill I'd rather do this than fit a high pressure valve on the bottle that costs alot more initially.

Also, to help a few of you guys I will point out that I used the gas rated thread tape and I had no leaks on my first setup, it's not white but yellow and is thicker, you can purchase it from most engineering suppliers that carry fittings.
DvsDev is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2010, 05:00 AM   #692
RuggerMSC
Algae Grower

The parts I use are as follows

on/off
http://www.amazon.com/32-Degrees-Qui...1869761&sr=8-3

needle valve

Whitey Swagelok 1/8" Brass Needle Valve B-OVM2-BKB

gauge

can't remember but doesn't really matter

airline connecter

1/8" mpt x 3/16" barbed hose fitting

misc parts

brass 1/8" fpt x 1/8" fpt coupler.......this was used to connect the needle valse to the barbed fitting.

I have yet to have an issue with any leaks or floating. with the equipment I have used no teflon tape was the key. I believe a few pieces have it because i had already put it on, but you don't need the teflon tape if you tighten everything properly, and I actually found that on that asa valve if you have teflon tape from the needle valve to the asa it causes a poor seal. I can post pictures in a few days, my 35mm sat in the cold and is all fogged up right now.
RuggerMSC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2010, 05:02 AM   #693
Jaggedfury
Twin Turbo Lexus SC300

PTrader: (135/100%)

Awesome. Very detailed and simply put.

Jaggedfury is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2010, 09:29 PM   #694
mmelnick
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggedfury View Post

Post picture up of that 40 oz you have, I'd like to see it.

Or better yet, here's a link.

http://www.airsplat.com/Items/PA-PE-48CU-3000.htm

I thought it was a 40 oz, but when I dug it out of storage it's just labeled 48cu 3000PSI.

I have no idea what size that is in oz. Or anything about it really. It does have a built in pressure gauge though so I should be able to get a cheap on off valve with only one outlet hole for the needle valve.

Here is what the manufacturer says about it.
Quote:

- Consistent Flow Technology piston
- Mil-spec Belleville Springs
- Dual Safety Rupture Plugs for Extra Safety
- Mechanical Gauge
- Nickel Plated Brass Bonnet
- Certified Fill Nipple and Dual Locking Set Screws
- Preset at 450 psi
- Approximately 600 Shots per Fill
- 5 year Hydro Test Date

PMI 48 cubic inch 3000 Psi Aluminum HPA Tank. This is a 5 year tank with a low pressure output
So does that mean that I can have it filled to 3000 PSI, but it will only let out 450 PSI to the on/off valve and needle valve if I go with this tank?
mmelnick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2010, 06:08 AM   #695
mmelnick
Planted Tank Obsessed

I just found out that this is an air tank meant for compressed air, not CO2, that's why I'm having trouble finding info on it. But they said they could fill it with CO2 if the fittings are the same, which it should be since it fits onto any paintball gun.

What do you all think?
Old 12-10-2010, 07:12 AM   #696
Jaggedfury
Twin Turbo Lexus SC300

I'm not sure if that safe, I dont know what the person who could fill them tells you.

There are 3 types of paintball tank. Each uses it's own co2, oxygen, or nitrogen. Each tank is specially made to withhold it's own gas/liquid form. If you feel it's safe and it works then go for it.

co2 tank itself ranging from 9,12,20,24 oz tank will be better they run from $12 to $26 dollars at most.

Not sure how your tank that you have with its regulator going to regulate 3000psi down to 800-850psi(co2 gas) to 450psi as you mentioned above.

Old 12-10-2010, 05:20 PM   #697
mmelnick
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggedfury View Post
I'm not sure if that safe, I dont know what the person who could fill them tells you.

There are 3 types of paintball tank. Each uses it's own co2, oxygen, or nitrogen. Each tank is specially made to withhold it's own gas/liquid form. If you feel it's safe and it works then go for it.

co2 tank itself ranging from 9,12,20,24 oz tank will be better they run from $12 to $26 dollars at most.

Not sure how your tank that you have with its regulator going to regulate 3000psi down to 800-850psi(co2 gas) to 450psi as you mentioned above.
And it looks like the gauge is to read actual tank pressure. I should probably get one to put above the "regulator" to always monitor the top end pressure that it is allowing through.

I think I'll try it, and if the pressure at the needle valve looks to be around 450 then great, if not, then I'll just sell it and get a regular tank I guess. Maybe one of the big ones meant for brewing.
Old 12-10-2010, 05:26 PM   #698
dbosman@msu.edu
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

There is now a commercial solution.

Fluval is selling this kit.
http://www.petsolutions.com/storefro...PressurinedCO2

Add this tank adapter and you can use a paintball tank.
http://www.rap4.com/paintball/os/88g...r-tank-adapter
dbosman@msu.edu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2010, 05:58 PM   #699
g33tar
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbosman@msu.edu View Post
There is now a commercial solution.

Fluval is selling this kit.
http://www.petsolutions.com/storefro...PressurinedCO2

Add this tank adapter and you can use a paintball tank.
http://www.rap4.com/paintball/os/88g...r-tank-adapter
Shame that it costs almost twice as much as setting this up, after factoring in that youll also need to buy a paintball tank after that little thing runs out.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:02 PM   #700
coldmantis
Algae Grower

but how is the needle valve on that fluval, I got the 20g fluval and returned it after a week because the needle valve is worst then the watts. if I set it to 1 per 3 seconds the next bubble will be 1 per 5 sec and the next will be 1 per 1sec and so on....

coldmantis is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2010, 11:38 PM   #701
Jaggedfury
Twin Turbo Lexus SC300

Co2 Paintball tank update:

September 11, 2010 Pressure read at 850 psi (removed a few times for taking photos)
November 11, 2010 Pressure read at above 800 psi
October 11, 2010 Pressure read at hairline above 700 psi.
December 11, 2010 Pressure read at hairline above 500 psi. Photo below.

Taking early photo of the gauge a few hours beforehand(Out of town 12/11/10). Not quiet sure what causes the increase in drop of co2 pressure. Room temperature is about 68.4 degrees. Haven't turn on the house heater this year yet, not even once. House is a bit cold at times lol. Saving money That might of account for the drop of pressure but still not certain of this. Since co2 liquid leaves the bottle as gas form.

I'm very sure that this will last another 1 or 2 months from this date even though it took a 200psi pressure drop from last month's reading. I am saying this because the pressure is still above Half.

Old 12-11-2010, 12:14 AM   #702
jke000
Algae Grower

Quick paintball 101 question for a noob. How does on remove the on-off value on a full cylinder? Do I screw off the top valve portion first before unscrewing the whole on-off valve?
jke000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2010, 12:50 AM   #703
chumlee
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jke000 View Post
Quick paintball 101 question for a noob. How does on remove the on-off value on a full cylinder? Do I screw off the top valve portion first before unscrewing the whole on-off valve?
Unscrew the top part , and then you can unscrew the whole on/off valve. You'll hear a little release of c02, that's normal.
chumlee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2010, 02:01 AM   #704
Jaggedfury
Twin Turbo Lexus SC300

I'm going to be tearing down my co2 tank, All my plants are already gone exception of some hydrophillia. No need for the co2 tank. The last picture I've taken resulted in having a hair line over 500psi still after it was started 3 months ago. I can say I am positive that this diy experiment will get you well over the 4-5 months that I thought it will. 500psi sill get you pass 4-5 months before refill, temperature might slightly play an effect to this. Maybe someone can take over on this and note down how many months before refills. I'm only taking my setups apart because I sold 2 of my tanks, and 2 of its paintball setup already. This one is going to be for sale also, no need to inject co2 into the tank that's pretty much just substrate left and water. Being to pack stuff for for movement, and weekends are my only time to do so.

I can take another shot of the pressure tomorrow on the 11th to be accurate, I don't think it will change much though, before I head out of town.

Old 12-11-2010, 02:07 AM   #705
zz_its_me
Algae Grower

Ok I've got mine running. Here's the saga. I tried the Detrol valve and as others reported, it won't close. Then I tried the Watts valve, and I had the stopping trouble. It would stop after only a couple hours. I gave up on it after a week, and got the Whitey Swagelok 1/8" Brass Needle Valve B-OVM2-BKB. I put it all back together today, and it's been running at 1 bubble every 1.5 seconds steady all day.

Here's a couple of pics of the setup:

I got all my stuff at iisports.com

Bob Long on/off $7.99

http://iisports.com/product.asp?s=ii...U&dept_id=3304

Guage $3.99

http://iisports.com/product.asp?s=ii...&dept_id=22919

20oz CO2 tank $22.50

http://iisports.com/product.asp?s=ii...0&dept_id=3301

and of course the valve from e-bay.

I want to thank everyone here for this and all the info shared.

This is feeding my 46 gallon tall tank using an Elite mini filter as the defuser, I had the mini and was using it for my DIY yeast CO2. This set up has got to work better. I can't wait to get some growth on the plants.

Thanks again.......Robert
zz_its_me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.