Paintball Co2 Injection DIY Setup with Tons of Photos - Page 4
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 09-19-2010, 01:09 AM   #46
llamabob
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

Oh and is a check valve necessary?
llamabob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2010, 01:31 AM   #47
koxkokas

PTrader: (0/0%)

hy
that is very nice setup, i will do it for my 55 g tank (i have all the parts, i used to play paintball years back) i wanted to buy a co2 set but it is just to expensive.
i do have a question, i read that you keep shrimps, do you ad any salt to the water?
i do not know if i should add any to may shrimp tank.
thank you.
koxkokas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2010, 02:02 AM   #48
Jaggedfury
Twin Turbo Lexus SC300

PTrader: (135/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamabob View Post
Couple of dumb noob questions, did you get your co2 hosing at home depot or paintball shop? What size and will the hose fit a glass diffuser? Did your needle valve come with the hose coupler? And where do you get that blue connector that was on the end of your black hosing? Sorry never set co2 up before so not familiar with all of the parts.
I did buy the co2 hose from Homedepot. The needle valve and the co2 hosing is underneath each other in the same area. I'm not 100% what size I bought it at, I had to ask a worker there to see what Co2 hose size will fit the Needle valve output hose coupler. The hose coupler comes in the needle valve kit as "One Unit"

The blue connector, is from a twist valve for aquariums that I had laying around. It's meant to be used to regular air pump oxygen going into a tank. I broke off a small piece of it, so it will be able to plug into the black co2 hose. That way I can hook up my other side of the hose to the diffuser. It's basically a simple disconnect way for me to refill the co2 tank. I believed the correct term is called a "Tee Connector" They're fairly cheap and all fish shops should have it. It's just a straight through pipe that lets you continue to connect 2 hose points to one. I just use it as a easy hose disconnect. Here's a link to what I"m talking about, they come in several colors and sizes.

http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsUS...ightconnect4pk

All I have to do is disconnect my diffuser hose leading up to where that
blue plug is at, then just close the on and off valve and twist off the on and off valve so the co2 tank can be transfer for refilling.

A check valve is optional to use, I don't use it on mines. Tank water doesn't backtrack that far back to the co2 tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by koxkokas View Post
hy
that is very nice setup, i will do it for my 55 g tank (i have all the parts, i used to play paintball years back) i wanted to buy a co2 set but it is just to expensive.
i do have a question, i read that you keep shrimps, do you ad any salt to the water?
i do not know if i should add any to may shrimp tank.
thank you.
I do have several shrimps tanks with each tank having it's own paintball co2 tank. No, I do not add salt to my tank. There's no need to add salt into your tank.

Jaggedfury is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2010, 06:24 PM   #49
CalebD77
Algae Grower

Default needle valve problem

Hi, I went down and bought a 20oz paintball tank and an on/off valve from Predator paintball here in Sacramento. I got the needle valve from Home Depot and put it all together. It seems that no matter how tight I close the needle valve when i turn on the on/off valve i get CO2 coming out of needle valve. i cant seem to get it to shut off. Have that problem?
CalebD77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2010, 06:58 PM   #50
Jaggedfury
Twin Turbo Lexus SC300

Actually, No. I don't have that problem nor have I experienced it. I could see it happening though. If I was to re-assemble mines and put it back together, I'm 100% certain I won't occur the problem your experiencing. Here are some things to check from what I can picture how this is happening.

Telfton tape MUST be use in 4 areas.
1. Teflon the thread on the needle valve that goes directly into the On/Off Valve.
2. Teflon the thread on the output thread coupler of where the co2 hosing goes through.
3. Teflon the thread on which the needle valve adjustment knob thread is at.
4. (Optional) Teflon the Gauge thread that goes directly into the On/Off Valve thread. If not used, I still suggest putting a little bit of Teflon tape on the "Hex" cap off screw and cap off that thread.

If Teflon tape are used in the above mentioned, I could also seeing one possible fault. Your co2 hose is not the correct hose to be used on that needle valve coupler output. I don't know from the top of my head, but the correct size co2 hose will have plently of room for you to stick a standard size aquarium air line hose into it snug and tight. You can actually tell where it's leaking once you have it all fitted and take the whole unit and drop it in bucket of water or fish tank. If yours is not leaking at all, until you turn it on, make sure your at least giving out some co2 before putting in water that way you'll see where it's leaking.

The last thing I could see happening, is that the needle valve is a defective. Being as it's a last thought, it could happened. It could be caused by over tightening/loosening too far out of it's spec.

Let me know how it goes.

Shoot me a picture of the needle valve you've purchased.

Old 09-19-2010, 07:07 PM   #51
CalebD77
Algae Grower

Ok, I have teflon tape on all connections. I didnt use a gauge but I think I will get one.
I didnt have CO2 tubing connected to the valve. I tried using silicon tubing just now but when i turned on the on/off valve it blew the tubing off, lol. I have the needle valve off as tight as I could get it too. May have bad valve.
Old 09-19-2010, 07:10 PM   #52
CalebD77
Algae Grower

I was online looking for needle valves just now and came across this set up. Good price. What do you think?
http://www.championlighting.com/prod...at=1076&page=1
Its for regular CO2 tanks though.
Old 09-19-2010, 07:16 PM   #53
Jaggedfury
Twin Turbo Lexus SC300

"It blew off the tubing" Only way for your co2 tubing to blow off is because I believed this problem is caused by your co2 tubing size. Whether it's too big or too small, also depends on your needle valve.

I'd like to see your needle valve.

Your co2 hose should go into the co2 output coupler then it will need to be push into a pin. That pin should fit snug and tight onto your co2 hose. Once that's in, then you can go ahead and teflon the threaded part and screw on the coupler. Make sure you use a wrench to screw everything tight.

I do hope your using the right needle valve that does have a pin inside the coupler side of the co2 output.

Old 09-19-2010, 07:18 PM   #54
Jaggedfury
Twin Turbo Lexus SC300

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalebD77 View Post
I was online looking for needle valves just now and came across this set up. Good price. What do you think?
http://www.championlighting.com/prod...at=1076&page=1
Its for regular CO2 tanks though.
I haven't use that before. I'm sure it would be great but I'm the wront person to ask about those unit. I haven't had any experiences with it.

Old 09-19-2010, 07:20 PM   #55
CalebD77
Algae Grower

I think maybe the needle valve is the wrong one. Even though it looks like the one in your post. How can I tell if it has a pin?
Old 09-19-2010, 07:31 PM   #56
Jaggedfury
Twin Turbo Lexus SC300

The pin is inside the co2 coupler thead. It's a small piece that looks like a bullet. You would want to slide your co2 tubing through the pin til it hit it's stop mark. I think your using the wrong needle valve, or that pin is not there. That pin is a must. Once you have that pin slide all the through your co2 tubing to where it stop, use a wrench and tightening that coupler all the way. It will push on that pin and therefore prevent it from leaking.

Old 09-19-2010, 07:39 PM   #57
CalebD77
Algae Grower

Here is picture of it. It does have the pin so I think the tubing has to be problem.
Old 09-19-2010, 07:53 PM   #58
h2kgolden

I have yet to go down to the local Home Depot but I assume this: http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053 is what I'm looking for?

It says the max psi is 400, which is a bit scary. Do you recall if they had higher rated needle valves where you're at, or did you not bother to look because you're not having issues with previous projects? Or did you get the 400 psi one and it's working fine for you?

Thanks for the write up, got most of it ordered from eBay already!
h2kgolden is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2010, 08:04 PM   #59
Jaggedfury
Twin Turbo Lexus SC300

That's the same one I'm using. Check your co2 hose size, I can't imagine the co2 hose being too big. Cause there's no way it could be too small.

I believed your assembly of the co2 hose is wrong.

You have to twist off that coupler thread. Then slide your co2 hose into it, and then plug in the pin from the other side. The pin is a bit rounded off so once you have your co2 sliding in, it won't come off. No way can it come off. Once you have that assemble, then put then use teflon tape.

What I assume you were doing is that you didn't loosen that coupler thread. You just stuck the co2 directly onto that pin sticking out. As a result, when you open your co2 valve, it then put pushes the co2 hose off. It's a assembly error. Here's photos of the correct way. I jus took apart mines to show you.

Take that coupler apart, slide co2 hose pass through the coupler ring.
Plug it snug and tight all the way to where it prevents you from pushing it too far back.

Assembly the tubing onto the thread, teflon tape that thread, as photo shown.

Slide coupler ring to teflon threaded thread, Then just tighten it with a wrench.

Let me know what the problem was. Was it assembly? So I can let other people know if this problem occurs in the future.

Hope that helps.

Old 09-19-2010, 08:11 PM   #60
Jaggedfury
Twin Turbo Lexus SC300

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2kgolden View Post
I have yet to go down to the local Home Depot but I assume this: http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053 is what I'm looking for?

It says the max psi is 400, which is a bit scary. Do you recall if they had higher rated needle valves where you're at, or did you not bother to look because you're not having issues with previous projects? Or did you get the 400 psi one and it's working fine for you?

Thanks for the write up, got most of it ordered from eBay already!
I did look for a good while why piecing this together. This is probably the only working needle valve you can get that will allow you to hook up a co2 hose to it. As far as leakage, and psi goes. No leaks, psi not too wory about it. If your too worry about it, take the entire needle valve and disassemble it. Look carefully at each part and how it's going to be connected to the threaded portion. I would not worry about it. As long as you tighten the whole unit down with a wrench.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.