Paintball Co2 Injection DIY Setup with Tons of Photos - Page 37
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 11-18-2010, 05:19 PM   #541
keithy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)

part number for swagelok is B-ORM2.
keithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2010, 05:39 PM   #542
keithy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)

MeanGreenEyes,
I know sometimes it is hard to control flow on valves. I have been working with valves in the lab for a few years and found that it is difficult to control flow in a pressurised system like this. try it again by first opening the valve a tad(just a bit). Don't worry about wasting co2 as it is better to get the valve setting correct first. After this is done, look at your bubble counter and try to close the valve in very small increments. Even with the deltrol needle valve I was using, I had to "practice" a few times before I get the setting right (my hands are pretty large so it takes a little bit of "strength" calibration).
If you want to add an inline valve, that will make flow control a little easier. Try to use a brass connector between the needle valve to your other valve(just like what I did with my setup bridging the asa valve and the deltrol valve). Although you have stepped down the pressure a little that may enable you to use the Watts valve, however, the problem is the tubing between the two valve will have to hold whatever pressure between the two valves. But using brass part between the two valves will eliminate the blow off due to too high of pressure. Let me know if you need any more help I will be more than happy to attack the problem with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanGreenEyes View Post
Well I tried to take off the gauge and the other piece to add teflon tape to make sure there were no leaks at those joints and they wouldn't come off w/ a crescent wrench...I sat on the phone for a good half hour...was put on hold several times and nobody knew what the hell they were talking about...the guy tried to tell me that the gauge on the one on the sales floor was reading 2,000lbs...spoke w/ several people and nobody knew anything...smdh. I tried to add an inline watts needle valve home depot part# A-42 and when I barely opened the valve the co2 line blew up like a bubble and popped. Yes...I am a woman but I've never had a problem w/ diy projects before...so I'm not a complete idiot...may not know all the tech terms...but I'm good w/ my hands...it's just very frustrating. The only reason that I went this route was b/c the watts needle valve wasn't available at the local home depot store or available to be shipped to nyc...so I figured that I had found my solution to an affordable co2 setup since I'll be connecting this to 3/4 tanks...so I wanted to try this first before I bought 3 more of these...
keithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 05:59 PM   #543
atticus27
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I finally got a paintball co2 DIY set up up and running last night! but i ran into 2 problems.

Problem 1, When i did a water check, the needle valve part was leaking so plenty trial and error was needed. then once that stopped, i found out the check valve region began to leak about 2bps ish. jaggedfury, according to your "number picture" back on page 3 (somewhere there lol) it is below #7, you actually dont have a number there lol. Is there a way to fix this or should I return it back lol. I'm not sure how often this happens to people.

Problem 2, i cannot get the consistency of 1bps or 2bps to stay at that through out the night. I set it to 1 or 2bps last night and i woke up to find it not bubbling. is this due to the temperature? it is also winter and cold in my room so maybe since it's colder there is less pressure? can someone shed some light on this, thanks.
Old 11-20-2010, 06:49 PM   #544
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

keep playing around with the needle nut. i had the same issue as your number 2, and I just had to find the right amount of tightness in order for it to fully seal. Right now I can keep a consistent bubble rate.
Noahma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 11:49 PM   #545
chumlee
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahma View Post
keep playing around with the needle nut. i had the same issue as your number 2, and I just had to find the right amount of tightness in order for it to fully seal. Right now I can keep a consistent bubble rate.
So is it possible to make it too tight? Btw I was staring at your icon and was like WHY ARENT ANY OF MY PICTURES LOADING and then I read it and was like crap!
chumlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 02:21 AM   #546
happi
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (20/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to happi

here is how mine looks like, hooking up the co2 tube was pain in the A**

happi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 02:45 AM   #547
NickS
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by happi View Post

Looks good but be sure to push that tube all the way down over that lip on the diffuser. Otherwise it'll just pop off eventually or if you try to move it around.

"I am rarely happier than when spending an entire day programming my computer to perform automatically a task that it would otherwise take me a good ten seconds to do by hand." DOUGLAS ADAMS, WRITER
NickS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 03:14 AM   #548
chumlee
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by happi View Post
If you mean sticking it through the little nut thing then for future references, if you cut the tube at a 45 degree angle, like to make a point with the airline, and then use pliers to get it through, that works for me every time.

I just set up mine today and It's running great at 2bps, took me less than 20min. I might be experiencing needle valve floating but im not sure, I dont think so but Ill check in the morning. Im using a hagen ladder to diffuse the bubbles but Im going to get a glass diffuser (ON MY CHRISTMAS LIST , now that I was able to remove pressurized c02 system from it )

I have one question, With the on/off valve (the one that connects to the tank) can you use that to adjust the pressure a little bit or can It only be used open/closed, and not in between?
Old 11-21-2010, 03:41 AM   #549
jeremyblevins
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

it's only open/closed due to the fact that the co2 tank has a pin valve it's either shut or pushed open. and i' have mine feeding a hagen ladder too until i get my inline reactor built.
jeremyblevins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 03:42 AM   #550
happi
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (20/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to happi

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumlee View Post
If you mean sticking it through the little nut thing then for future references, if you cut the tube at a 45 degree angle, like to make a point with the airline, and then use pliers to get it through, that works for me every time.

I just set up mine today and It's running great at 2bps, took me less than 20min. I might be experiencing needle valve floating but im not sure, I dont think so but Ill check in the morning. Im using a hagen ladder to diffuse the bubbles but Im going to get a glass diffuser (ON MY CHRISTMAS LIST , now that I was able to remove pressurized c02 system from it )

I have one question, With the on/off valve (the one that connects to the tank) can you use that to adjust the pressure a little bit or can It only be used open/closed, and not in between?
you will loose co2 through the on/off valve, i think it is due to safety and that is why its setup like that. you will tight up the on/off valve and then adust the co2 from the needle valve. its kind of hard to get the right co2.
happi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 03:48 AM   #551
chumlee
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I think that my needle valve is floating, do any of you know if it is possible to over tighten the needle nut? I really tightened the hell out of it, and one poster above said that they had to adjust that nut a bit to get it right.
Old 11-21-2010, 03:57 AM   #552
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumlee View Post
So is it possible to make it too tight? Btw I was staring at your icon and was like WHY ARENT ANY OF MY PICTURES LOADING and then I read it and was like crap!
lol I have been waiting for someone to comment on the avatar pic.

Yea, the nut can be too tight. There is a little rubber seal inside, if you over tighten it, it pushes out of the way. If it is too lose, it wont seal.
Noahma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 10:05 PM   #553
chumlee
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Heres a picture of my setup Working good after a few days.
Old 11-23-2010, 12:32 AM   #554
Jaggedfury
Twin Turbo Lexus SC300

PTrader: (135/100%)

Greattttt!! After going through a few photos, I take it people don't opt for the "Gauge". Which is cool, I would of guessed that people would went for it.

Jaggedfury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 12:47 AM   #555
Barristan
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

Still waiting for my Deltrol to show up. It should be here by tomorrow or Friday. Anyone else get theirs yet?
Barristan is offline   Reply With Quote