Paintball Co2 Injection DIY Setup with Tons of Photos - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 09-17-2010, 08:27 PM   #31
OiZO
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)

hmm. Its acutally kinda cool looking but not anything like the picture. I am thinking it shouldn't matter about the two threaded outputs so close together seeing as they are still 90degree's from each other.

keep me posted on if it works or not.

--
OiZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2010, 08:32 PM   #32
spaeth05
Algae Grower

I will definitely keep you posted...unfortunately it's going to be a while as I'm headed out of town for a week so this DIY project will have to re-commence then!

FYI, I also ordered the gauge from that same company on no ebay links allowed I haven't received it yet but I'll also let you know how that looks. Was dirt cheap as well!
spaeth05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 08:42 PM   #33
OiZO
Planted Member

awesome. I think this could be a good system if everything works out .

--
Old 09-17-2010, 08:51 PM   #34
OiZO
Planted Member

actually does anyone know if something like this would work if you added the home-depot needle valve? http://cgi.no ebay links allowedcom/NEW-PAINTBALL-45...#ht_2333wt_912

--
Old 09-18-2010, 12:26 AM   #35
Jaggedfury
Twin Turbo Lexus SC300

PTrader: (135/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamabob View Post
Having a hell of a time finding a double threaded input valve. All i can find on ebay are the mini's. Anyone seen some anywhere?

Edit: Nm, found the black one you also had for $30 on no ebay links allowed

Quick question, every post I find on different forums say these paintball tanks only last 3-4 weeks. Have you ever had one last 5-6 months?
It depends... some people are using for high tech heavy planted tanks that need lots of co2 for their plants. I'm only using 2 bubbles per second, 2 of my tanks still reads above 800psi. Been running for a few weeks now. One of them is just barely hitting the 800psi mark. All were refill at the same time.

Keep in mind if your going to have a bigger tank, I used it on 20gallon long tanks, over 55gallon +. You're going to use more co2 if you have plants that need high co2.

I really do get 5-6 months per tank.

Jaggedfury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 12:36 AM   #36
Jaggedfury
Twin Turbo Lexus SC300

PTrader: (135/100%)

spaeth05, that piece you bought from ebay should work. As long as the paintball co2 tank will screw in tightly all the way. If that handle in any way prevents the paintball co2 tank to not screw in tightly, it won't work. That's the only difference I noticed. Dremel it off if it's a last resort.

I take no responsibilities for the pictures that ebay sellers post and sell.

Let me know how it goes.

OiZo, I not sure if that link you send will work. It might, I just haven't had one that has a bottom male thread. Often times the paintball co2 tank already comes with a pressure lock male thread installed already with a burst valve.

Jaggedfury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 12:55 AM   #37
llamabob
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggedfury View Post
It depends... some people are using for high tech heavy planted tanks that need lots of co2 for their plants. I'm only using 2 bubbles per second, 2 of my tanks still reads above 800psi. Been running for a few weeks now. One of them is just barely hitting the 800psi mark. All were refill at the same time.

Keep in mind if your going to have a bigger tank, I used it on 20gallon long tanks, over 55gallon +. You're going to use more co2 if you have plants that need high co2.

I really do get 5-6 months per tank.
Nice, think ill give this a try. It will be on a 20g high heavily planted. Ill post back in a few days with how it turned out!
llamabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 01:25 AM   #38
spaeth05
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggedfury View Post
spaeth05, that piece you bought from ebay should work. As long as the paintball co2 tank will screw in tightly all the way. If that handle in any way prevents the paintball co2 tank to not screw in tightly, it won't work. That's the only difference I noticed. Dremel it off if it's a last resort.

I take no responsibilities for the pictures that ebay sellers post and sell.

Let me know how it goes.
I'm definitely not holding you responsible for the ebay seller!! I'm psyched to have a low cost option to try out and sincerely appreciate the knowledge you shared. I can't wait to get it all put together!!!
spaeth05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 02:43 AM   #39
NickS
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

If I understand this right, basically all you need is an on/off valve with two outputs? One for a gauge (if wanted) and one for the needle valve. That's it, right?

"I am rarely happier than when spending an entire day programming my computer to perform automatically a task that it would otherwise take me a good ten seconds to do by hand." DOUGLAS ADAMS, WRITER
NickS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 02:49 AM   #40
ddtran46
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickstaroba View Post
If I understand this right, basically all you need is an on/off valve with two outputs? One for a gauge (if wanted) and one for the needle valve. That's it, right?
That is correct
Old 09-18-2010, 06:02 AM   #41
msnikkistar
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (105/94%)

Just so some of you know, I found a 3 threaded ASA on ebay that is selling for about 14 shipped of you submit an offer. I found out that they will take 8 instead of the 10 they are selling for.

It comes with 2 plugs in case you don't use them all, but has enough fitting holes for the needle valve and the gauge.

PM me if you would like the link to it.

msnikkistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 12:25 PM   #42
llamabob
Algae Grower

One more question, the Home Depot needle valves are typically rated for 80-100psi. Have you not had any problems opening your on/off all the way and pushing the gauge to 800psi? I read in another place you should only open the on/off until you see bubbles, stop, then adjust the needle valve.
Old 09-18-2010, 03:50 PM   #43
msnikkistar
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (105/94%)

I think it would be safer to get a needle valve that has a higher PSI rating. There are plenty of deals on ebay for some that have up to 3000psi. Just my thought anyways.

msnikkistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 09:28 PM   #44
llamabob
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by msnikkistar View Post
I think it would be safer to get a needle valve that has a higher PSI rating. There are plenty of deals on ebay for some that have up to 3000psi. Just my thought anyways.
Touche!
Old 09-19-2010, 12:05 AM   #45
llamabob
Algae Grower

Couple of dumb noob questions, did you get your co2 hosing at home depot or paintball shop? What size and will the hose fit a glass diffuser? Did your needle valve come with the hose coupler? And where do you get that blue connector that was on the end of your black hosing? Sorry never set co2 up before so not familiar with all of the parts.