Paintball Co2 Injection DIY Setup with Tons of Photos - Page 27
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 10-30-2010, 05:34 PM   #391
jeffvmd
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (99/100%)

It is possible but the solenoid for that high pressure will end up costing more (more than total cost of the rig itself).
IMO, it will be better to get a regulator with solenoid and a big tank as the cost will be more or less close to a regular CO2 set up already when added all up.
jeffvmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2010, 06:30 PM   #392
Yoder808
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffvmd View Post
It is possible but the solenoid for that high pressure will end up costing more (more than total cost of the rig itself).
IMO, it will be better to get a regulator with solenoid and a big tank as the cost will be more or less close to a regular CO2 set up already when added all up.
That's kind of what I was wondering... This ASA ON/OFF and Needle Valve setup reduces the flow rate, but if the flow was stopped, it would eventually reach 800 psi on the output side as well...

Oh well, I REALLY like the DIY route, I'm just afraid of gassing my fish at night. I do have an air pump, and a timer that could kick it on at night. Is it worth spending the extra money on one this with a solenoid? (I supposed that is a matter of opinion, but I'm new to the hobby!)
Yoder808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 07:06 PM   #393
Jaggedfury
Twin Turbo Lexus SC300

PTrader: (135/100%)

Never had a fish gasped for air. In my other tank, I have 18 white clouds, 6 neons, 3 clown loach. Mines is left 24/7 but just not releasing more than 2bps. I have a massive amount of oxygen aerating the tank.

Jaggedfury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 08:10 PM   #394
keithy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoder808 View Post
That's kind of what I was wondering... This ASA ON/OFF and Needle Valve setup reduces the flow rate, but if the flow was stopped, it would eventually reach 800 psi on the output side as well...
output side of what? The needle valve would hold the pressure down and the output from the needle valve will be a lot less than 800 psi, otherwise, the co2/gas tubing will fail. Therefore, regardless if the flow was stop or not, the asa valve and needle valve should theoretically hold the majority of th 800 psi of pressure from the co2 tank. IMO, it is very important that the needle valve be able to hold at least 850 psi. The same holds in the case of a regulator with solenoid in place of the needle valve.
keithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 08:18 PM   #395
jeffvmd
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (99/100%)

I have 2 tanks with fishes and shrimps leaving this co2 set up on 24/7, no aeration at night, and everything seem ok at 2-3 bps.

No drastic pH swings as i try to check the pH morning and night (6.8-7)

It just depends on ones preference wether or not to put a solenoid or not just for peace of mind.
jeffvmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 11:57 PM   #396
ddtran46
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

Ok just got my parts and stuff. I have some questions..
Do we need this part?

Do I just place the co2 tube in here? If I do it this way and tighten it, the co2 tube will come off easily..
Old 10-31-2010, 12:53 AM   #397
Cloudfish
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Slide the nut onto the tubing first, then insert the piece in the first picture into the end of the tubing. It helps to then wrap some plumbing tape around the threads of the fitting, and then just tighten the nut.
Old 10-31-2010, 02:10 AM   #398
ddtran46
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudfish View Post
Slide the nut onto the tubing first, then insert the piece in the first picture into the end of the tubing. It helps to then wrap some plumbing tape around the threads of the fitting, and then just tighten the nut.
My co2 tube is too thick to tighten the nut..

Where did you guys get your tubes from? Lowes/Homedepot?
Old 10-31-2010, 02:17 AM   #399
Jaggedfury
Twin Turbo Lexus SC300

PTrader: (135/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudfish View Post
That copper slide pin is a must. There's no way it for the co2 tubing to shoot off once it's in place. You should have somewhat a super tight fit for your tubing to slide into the pin. If you have no trouble at all, the tubing is too big.

You should also have a difficult time when you first slide the nut on first. This ensures that your using the right size co2 tubing.

Jaggedfury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 02:22 AM   #400
ddtran46
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggedfury View Post
That copper slide pin is a must. There's no way it for the co2 tubing to shoot off once it's in place. You should have somewhat a super tight fit for your tubing to slide into the pin. If you have no trouble at all, the tubing is too big.

You should also have a difficult time when you first slide the nut on first. This ensures that your using the right size co2 tubing.
Yeah..theres no way for me to slide on the nut. My tube is too thick. Does Lowes or homedepot sell co2 tubing?
Old 10-31-2010, 02:53 AM   #401
rountreesj
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (40/100%)

i assume we are still talking about co2 tubing being too thick

bahahahaha

anywho, just use aipump tubing for aquariums. perfect stuff...
rountreesj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 02:57 AM   #402
ddtran46
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rountreesj View Post
i assume we are still talking about co2 tubing being too thick

bahahahaha

anywho, just use aipump tubing for aquariums. perfect stuff...
Yeah..I'm talking about my co2 tubing haha

But yeah..I just went to lowes and bought 20' of clear vinyl tubing for $3 something.
Old 10-31-2010, 04:46 PM   #403
Yoder808
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithy View Post
output side of what?
I meant the output from the needle valve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithy View Post
The needle valve would hold the pressure down and the output from the needle valve will be a lot less than 800 psi,(...)
That's what I was wondering, and I don't think the needle valve would limit the pressure. I think the needle valve is only restricting the flow, not limiting pressure at all.
Old 10-31-2010, 05:24 PM   #404
keithy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoder808 View Post
That's what I was wondering, and I don't think the needle valve would limit the pressure. I think the needle valve is only restricting the flow, not limiting pressure at all.
The needle valve will not influence the pressure in a direct way, but it creates "enegry loss" that the bernoulli equation(this is a closed conduit flow) will be balanced, for the correct amount of flow you want it to be. That being said, the pressure at the outlet of needle valve is a lot less than 800 psi, and hence the tubing will not explode.
keithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 02:29 AM   #405
Yoder808
Algae Grower

I'm using a DIY reactor very similar to this one. If I just kill the power to it when the lights go out, is that a safe way of effectively stop the CO2 injection? The CO2 collects, and comes out of the (non-moving) impeller as large bubbles.