Paintball Co2 Injection DIY Setup with Tons of Photos - Page 117
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 08-15-2011, 10:56 PM   #1741
DaveFason
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

I am just about to set up my Do!Aqua 12" cube and would like to include a small CO2 system. I work at a paintball store and have been doing it for 15+ years. I have a system that I think would work but would like to go over it with the experts.

I am missing a couple connections but those will be in place.

I will have an adapter to the silver piece. The silver piece then goes to a regulator 0-200 PSI. Then the output will be connected to a piece that can taken off and hooked to a Ideal Needle valve. Then to a check valve and to a diffuser.

My main question is the PSI I should run to the needle valve. 10-30 PSI and then let the needle valve do the rest?

Thanks in advance!

-Dave
DaveFason is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2011, 04:46 AM   #1742
dreamt_01
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (14/100%)

Thank you Jase for giving this tutorial and giving time to answer most of the questions here..

I made or even copied your system almost down to the t..

One question though, how to control the BPS? Because when I manage to put it on 1/bps it somehow raises to 2-3/bps..

Do I have to turn it off during night time? especially i still can't get it down to 1/bps..

Again, Thanks a lot!
dreamt_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 01:53 AM   #1743
Jaggedfury
Twin Turbo Lexus SC300

PTrader: (135/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taari View Post
Hey, I just found this website
http://www.brineshrimpegg.com/co2equipments.htm
That has all the pictures in this thread in it. I'm going to assume that this is your own website? $35 for the kit, does that come with everything needed or do I still have to track down some parts myself? Either way that's a good deal. I called around and couldn't find the ASA valves except at one place and they were $35 for just that.
Oh wow! No, that isn't my website. I don't have a website. This was a idea that I brought into the forum late last year and folks wanted me to start offering the setup to them. From there, it just sprung off.
Whoever owns that site didn't ask my permission for anything... shocked.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayen View Post
Jagged - where can i purchase said o-rings?
I'm bringing it into a paintball shop tomorrow.
The O rings can be bought at Homedepot or Lowes. If you're referring to the Pin Valve O ring on the Paintball Co2 Tank, a Local Paintball Sport Store should be able to help you with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddtran46 View Post
Quick question..
Is this suppose to come out easily? I don't remember it falling off when I first used it and after removing the regulator from the paintball tank, the pin fell on the floor.
I'm talking about this pin:
"If it falls out that means the O-rings need to be replaced, from the main post "The O rings are easily replacecable. It's like .58 cents per 3-6 O rings. Part number at Lowes is BrassCraft # 0533. The size is 1/4"ID x 3/8"OD x 1/16" Wall Thickness." I believe this is the correct O-ring but it has also been mentioned many times in the thread if you want to confirm that. If you don't replace them then you will leak co2 from the pin. " Quoted by MrBobby which is correct.
The rubber O rings on the Depress Pin overtime gets used up. Therefore it leaks as to any other rubber O rings dealing with pressurized gas. The above is the correct part number to reference at Homedepot or Lowes. They sell them in 3, 6, 10, 20 per package. Fairly inexpensive as well. Pick out the old rubber O rings, and put slide two new ones on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taari View Post
Do the ASA valves have a standard hole size? All the ones I'm finding on ebay say they have 1/8" npt threaded holes, is that the thread distance or the size of the hole?
Also, I see some people suggesting using a swagelok needle valve. Do they come with the compression ring like the Watts one does? Am I looking for a 1/4" male threaded part?
All ASA On/Off Valve are 1/8'' NPT. That is the threaded hole size. You will need a 1/8"" NPT to screw onto it. A 3/4'' won't fit, a 3/8'' won't fit, a 1/4'' won't fit. Unelss you get a sort of inducer or reducer coupling to step it up or step it down.
Swagelok makes 1/8" NPT Needle Valve. The Input will be 1/8'' NPT which will let you thread it on ANY ASA On/Off Valve. The output will also be 1/8" NPT as well on the Swagelok Needle Valve. It's up to you to figure out which coupling is needed on the Output side of the Swagelok Needle Valve to make it work to where it will accept a co2 tubing.
Parts for that are mentioned a few hundred pages back on the DIY Paintball Page of this forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFason View Post
I am just about to set up my Do!Aqua 12" cube and would like to include a small CO2 system. I work at a paintball store and have been doing it for 15+ years. I have a system that I think would work but would like to go over it with the experts.
I am missing a couple connections but those will be in place.
I will have an adapter to the silver piece. The silver piece then goes to a regulator 0-200 PSI. Then the output will be connected to a piece that can taken off and hooked to a Ideal Needle valve. Then to a check valve and to a diffuser.
My main question is the PSI I should run to the needle valve. 10-30 PSI and then let the needle valve do the rest?
Thanks in advance!
-Dave
Can't say much on the Regulator portion of your install. Not all Regulators are the same. A Regulator is not needed, the system will work fine without it.

Fiddle with it and let us know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamt_01 View Post
Thank you Jase for giving this tutorial and giving time to answer most of the questions here..
I made or even copied your system almost down to the t..
One question though, how to control the BPS? Because when I manage to put it on 1/bps it somehow raises to 2-3/bps..
Do I have to turn it off during night time? especially i still can't get it down to 1/bps..
Again, Thanks a lot!
They key to fine tuning the bps is to slightly adjust the needle valve. It doesn't take much to adjust it. Majority of us leaves it on 24/7.

Jaggedfury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 05:08 AM   #1744
HolyAngel
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
Send a message via AIM to HolyAngel

Wow yeah those pics and the words look pretty much verbatim from your posts jagged..
I'm pretty sure that's a lawsuit waiting to happen and there is definitely something you can do about that if you haven't already contacted them. That's pretty low of them
Old 08-18-2011, 01:06 PM   #1745
dreamt_01
Planted Tank Obsessed

yeah, i forgot to edit my post.. i managed to tune it down to 1/bps by using tapping T arm of the needle valve with something heavy just to turn it a tad bit..

again, thank you good sir!

RAOK club #60
Old 08-18-2011, 02:18 PM   #1746
wespastor
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/67%)

The owners of that website seem to have stolen just about every video and picture on their site. I would not be one to buy anything from them ever. I wonder if the testimonials are even real.

It's one thing to post pictures and videos on a public forum for another's personal use but to highjack them to a private website for profit is a different story.

Sorry for the highjack ... but this just infuriates me ... makes me not want to post my DIY ideas so thats others can benefit from what I have learned because someone will steal it for profit.

I would find a lawyer ASAP.

Best wishes,
Wes
Old 08-19-2011, 07:58 PM   #1747
Gafi
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Hey I am running this setup.....and am having problems with a tiny leak at my bubble counter....I cant add the pic here so ill link it to the main thread I have....click the link and the picture with arrow will show you where I am having the leak....let me know if you have any ideas on how to seal this.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/di...ml#post1484082
Gafi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 08:16 PM   #1748
kamikazi
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

Awesome write up, if I decide to go with CO2 on my tanks (29 and 40) this will be how I do it!
kamikazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 03:48 PM   #1749
tetra73
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

I thought I add my experience with Jase's setup. Just want to add that the CO2 tubing issue. It is better you either order the tubing from Jase or get yourself a 1/4 size vinyl tubing from Lowe or Homedepot. They are actually bigger than your aquarium CO2 tubing. With the vinyl tubing, the compression ring would just slide in with a bit of resistance. With the aquarium CO2 tubing, the ring would just slide freely. With the vinyl tubing, you don't get much "play" or "wiggle room" at all once you insert it to the needle valve. Also, I only use about a foot long of the vinyl tubing connecting to the tank. Then, I use a coupler (brass) to connect to the aquarium CO2 tubing, which is directly connected to my diffuser (powerhead).

The needle valve issue with fine tuning the bubble rate. I have some success with initially bleeding off more CO2 first, maybe 7 to 9 bps. After an hour or so, the flow rate should taper off around half the rate. I believe this is just the nature of the beast that the initial pressure would cause more CO2 to bleed off. It will taper off at some point. You get bubble rate fluctuations not because your valve is turning by itself because of the pressure.
tetra73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 05:44 AM   #1750
dreamt_01
Planted Tank Obsessed

i got a cheap glass/ceramic diffuser from ebay, and it need more pressure to have something in it.. and i ended up using the diffuser as an air bubbler for my shrimp tank and i planned to switch back to my old mini-hagen filter/diffuser...

i went out to get my co2 paintball tank refilled and i changed it with a new o-ring.. when i got home, i put it up, checked for leaks, and it was running well with 1/bps for a few minutes.. and so i left and chilled.. but probably 2 hours after i found this..

scared me a bit cause i don't do paintball stuff and didn't know if the tank would explode.. anyway, what could be the source of the problem here?

thanks..
Old 08-23-2011, 11:24 AM   #1751
Yiannis
Algae Grower

Anyone willing to build this setup and ship it to Cyprus? Can't find any parts where I live yet!

Please help!
Yiannis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 04:24 PM   #1752
tetra73
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
i got a cheap glass/ceramic diffuser from ebay, and it need more pressure to have something in it.. and i ended up using the diffuser as an air bubbler for my shrimp tank and i planned to switch back to my old mini-hagen filter/diffuser...

i went out to get my co2 paintball tank refilled and i changed it with a new o-ring.. when i got home, i put it up, checked for leaks, and it was running well with 1/bps for a few minutes.. and so i left and chilled.. but probably 2 hours after i found this..

scared me a bit cause i don't do paintball stuff and didn't know if the tank would explode.. anyway, what could be the source of the problem here?

thanks..
Looks like a leak by the opening of the tank. Causing CO2 to cover the side of it. With 1 bps per minute, your valve isn't even open.
tetra73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 05:35 PM   #1753
Yiannis
Algae Grower

This is what I currently found so far for this project:

Ebay item number 220821348133 PaintNoMore - Paintball 20 oz CO2 Pinvalve Flasche

Ebay item number 180641644200 Paintball Co2 Fill Adaptor Remote On/Off 3000psi Gauge

Wil these do for the project and will they fit each other?
Yiannis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 12:28 AM   #1754
Jaggedfury
Twin Turbo Lexus SC300

PTrader: (135/100%)

Quote:

thanks..
Looks to me like a bad Pin Valve or Pin Valve O ring that goes onto of the Pin Valve.

Jaggedfury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 06:02 AM   #1755
Aldon
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

is it ok to run this set up without the gauge? i found a asa on/off valve but it only has one hole for the needle valve well this be a problem?
Aldon is offline   Reply With Quote