Paintball Co2 Injection DIY Setup with Tons of Photos - Page 10
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 09-30-2010, 04:07 AM   #136
msnikkistar
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (105/94%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaeth05 View Post
Need some help on this project. I found out I made a mistake when I ordered the needle valve (it arrived today and the threading was much too small). What a waste! I was trying to buy a beefier needle valve and ordered a swagelok 3000 PSI unit. Could anyone confirm the appropriate thread size and or part # for one of the better needle valves? Msnikkistar I believe recommended one but I was not able to find that same model after extensive googling and ebaying!

Thanks for your help.
You will need a 1/8th NPT

Over_stocked has 2 for sale on the SNS in the model I have.

msnikkistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2010, 05:20 AM   #137
Jaggedfury
Twin Turbo Lexus SC300

PTrader: (135/100%)

Homedepot and Lowe's carry the same brand and model number. I'm using 3 of these when I rigged these units up. No problem at all. Able to turn to 1bps easily.

I tried to make it simple for everyone. lol. Can't get any simplier than that.
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053

It's made from brass instead of copper. Co2 won't chemically eat it up too fast, but I would recommend replacing it every 12-18 months. It's only $5.49 for the unit. Can't get any cheaper than that.

Mines been running for a few weeks now, still reads 830 ish PSI at 2bps.

Jaggedfury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 05:21 AM   #138
jeffvmd
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (99/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by g33tar View Post
Alright you guys...I just bought all the stuff needed to do this on ebay, so im looking forward to all of that stuff coming in...

BUT...im sitting at work today (liquor store) and we just got these Miller Light/Coors light home draft things in that have a mini beer-tap kind of thing with co2. Now, I know almost nothing about how air pressurized things work, but I was wondering...whos going to be the first to turn this into a co2 system for an aquarium?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gka2f...eature=related
Those are the 16g nonthreaded cartridge I presume.
There is a threaded 16g cartridge used commonly in bike inflators and other beer taps.
It is possible with a similar build as jaggedfury did as there are "on-off valves" for this type of cartridge.
http://www.schwinnbike.com/CMS/tnt/b...nflator_bg.jpg
a hose barb and a needle valve that fits are the other parts you'll need.
However it wouldn't be economical to be changing so often the cartridges as it will add up to be more costly than the 20-24 oz tanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaeth05 View Post
Need some help on this project. I found out I made a mistake when I ordered the needle valve (it arrived today and the threading was much too small). What a waste! I was trying to buy a beefier needle valve and ordered a swagelok 3000 PSI unit. Could anyone confirm the appropriate thread size and or part # for one of the better needle valves? Msnikkistar I believe recommended one but I was not able to find that same model after extensive googling and ebaying!

Thanks for your help.
Try to search on ebay PARKER NEEDLE VALVE 1/8" SPN200B
This one is rated at 2000psi
You'll need to get fittings and barbs for it too as this is just the needle valve itself.
I got this off at around $14 each.

Or just get the usual valve at home depot or lowes which is half the price. It just sucks that most home depots in my area doesn't carry 1/8 fitting/valves so I had to get all my stuff on ebay. It was only the needle valve that ended up costing more but with the other parts being way cheaper has just offset my build cost.
I'll post the rigs I made as soon as my hose barbs get here.
jeffvmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 04:10 PM   #139
hbosman
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

This is a very interesting alternative to other options and I sure wished I knew about it about 5 years ago when I started with a Redsea Paintball regulator that cost me much more than this option. I did want to point out other lower cost options as well. The first link shows something that is indeed cga320 compatible. You might see something similar on ebay that probably has threads compatible with asia and europe so, keep that in mind on your searches.

http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/group/4530/product.web

Below is what I wound up doing. I have been running Dual Stages for about a year. Prior to that I used a regulator from a beer brewers sight. Below is a dual stage regulator which keeps pressure constant when the bottle gets near empty. No tweaking as the pressure goes down. I still use paintball tanks because space is an issue for me. It cost more to build than the paintball asa shutoff valve setup in this thread but, it's still cheaper than buying a Milwaukee or Azoo setup.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/h_bosma...7622829944660/

I just wanted to share some other options for you diyers.
hbosman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 04:28 PM   #140
dzydvl
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)
Default Re: Paintball Co2 Injection DIY Setup

Ok I'm going to ask a really dumb question, but I bet someone out there is wondering this as well. My
Paintball tank has an on/off valve, then the needle valve, why would I need a regulator. I know it is a dumb question, but I'm new here so forgive me.
sent from my phone, because I can't get the internet out in the boonies.
dzydvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 04:52 PM   #141
Hadouken441
Planted Member

the on off valve is the reg/asa.
Hadouken441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 05:05 PM   #142
hbosman
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzydvl View Post
Ok I'm going to ask a really dumb question, but I bet someone out there is wondering this as well. My
Paintball tank has an on/off valve, then the needle valve, why would I need a regulator. I know it is a dumb question, but I'm new here so forgive me.
A regulator steps down the usual CO2 pressure of 800 to 1000 PSI down to 10, 20 or 100 psi for instance. This is usually adjustable. Lower pressures are much easier to adjust the bubble rate. In the case of a dual stage regulator, it will also compensate for changes in cylinder pressure from temperature change or when the paintball bottle starts to get empty.

The ASA or shut off valve and needle valve combination is still holding back 800 to 1000 PSI (depending on temperature) and that is alittle harder to adjust to the desired bubble rate.
hbosman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 07:16 PM   #143
dzydvl
Planted Member

Default Re: Paintball Co2 Injection DIY Setup

Thanks for the CO2 for dummies explanation. That helped a lot...

dzydvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 04:06 PM   #144
Barristan
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

I have CO2 leaking from the needle valve's adjustment knob. I dunked it in a bucket of water. It only leaks when I turn the needle valve on. Is this fixable or do I need a new valve?
Barristan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 05:00 PM   #145
NickS
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Barristan, is the nut tight on the adjustment knob?

"I am rarely happier than when spending an entire day programming my computer to perform automatically a task that it would otherwise take me a good ten seconds to do by hand." DOUGLAS ADAMS, WRITER
NickS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 05:05 PM   #146
Barristan
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

ah, yes that was it. thanks
Barristan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 05:13 PM   #147
Jaggedfury
Twin Turbo Lexus SC300

Yepp, Noticed a few people tend to forget about that nut. All nuts that can be tighten should be tighten down with a wrench. Also double check thereafter.

Old 10-01-2010, 08:08 PM   #148
g33tar
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

Ok...holy crap.

I got my gauge and the on/off adapter in the mail today (Thanks llamabob for the ebay link) and I threw it all together just like was explained on here...and it works. I dont even believe it. I dont know what to say. One second I had yeast co2 going, 10 minutes later I now have pressurized. Crazy.

I even made the mistake of twisting the needle valve too far and it let out a hurricane style wind....I looked at the gauge on the tank expecting all my co2 to be gone...and the needle didnt even budge. This aught to be interesting to see how long this lasts.

Thankyou thankyou a million times thankyou to you Jagged and everyone else who has supplied useful information on this thread. I LOVE this kind of homemade / affordable stuff.

-Alex
g33tar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 10:16 PM   #149
Jaggedfury
Twin Turbo Lexus SC300

Lol. No problem. Glad you were able to put it together. 1 to 10 scale being 10 very difficult, how difficult was it? lol 1?

It's pretty simple.

Old 10-01-2010, 10:19 PM   #150
jeffvmd
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (99/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggedfury View Post
Yepp, Noticed a few people tend to forget about that nut. All nuts that can be tighten should be tighten down with a wrench. Also double check thereafter.
Definitely use a wrench!
The bare hand is no match for the 800+psi trying to come out of that valve.
I also thought that my new needle valves were defective as there are bubbles coming out when I closed the valve using my hand.
So i had the CO2 tank removed, closed the valve with my hands and alas, no bubbles coming out. So I opened the valve and bubbles came out. When I tried to close it again using my hands, it never fully closes and 1 bubble/ 2-3sec comes out of the valve.
Then it came to that I just needed to use a wrench/pliers to really tighten it as the pressure pushing through the needle valve is too high for my bare hand to be able to close it fully.

Here is the rig I set up.

Thanks Jaggedfury for this really useful and cheap DIY CO2 rig.

Last edited by jeffvmd; 10-02-2010 at 12:34 AM..
jeffvmd is offline   Reply With Quote