Tank stand strength evaluation and general critique
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 01-30-2015, 02:17 AM   #1
Harry Muscle
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

Tank stand strength evaluation and general critique

I'm putting together plans for a tank stand I'm hoping to get built for my upcoming 90g tank. I went for a conservative design structurally to keep the cost and weight down (most DIY stands are grossly over built).

I've attached a few pictures of my design so far. The first picture is the overall stand. The second picture shows the inside of the stand with the front removed. The larger pieces of wood are 1x6, the slightly smaller pieces are 1x4, and the skinny pieces are 1x2. The last picture is the inside again but from the back with the back removed.

There would be a total of 83.625 sq. in. of wood supporting the 900lb weight which works out to 10.76psi. Structurally that sounds good to me but I always welcome second opinions.

I'm also looking for any suggestions on how to improve the design to either make it easier and/or cheaper to build.

Any other feedback is also welcome.

Thanks,
Harry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1422584198922.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	422258  

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1422584207601.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	422266  

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1422584220827.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	422274  

Harry Muscle is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2015, 04:05 AM   #2
PlantedRich
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)

While it may seem to be overbuilt, there is often good reason for using 2X4 rather than smaller. It is cheaper!
Getting a good straight 1X that is good enough to fasten something to often costs more than the common cheap wood of 2X4. I do 2X4 frames and skin it with a plywood of choice and it runs about $50.
Do a price check for your area?
PlantedRich is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2015, 04:14 AM   #3
cdntanks
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

You may want to check out a design that was posted on Reef Central, and seems to be pretty popular, to give you some options and comparisons with your design to think about.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...readid=1169964
cdntanks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2015, 01:51 PM   #4
Viper
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I don't quite understand the negative connotation you've attached to DIY stands being stronger than necessary. I'd think most, if not all DIY'ers would rather err on the side of caution than simply hope that their stands won't give out on them.
Viper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2015, 03:05 PM   #5
Ruxl
Algae Grower

Looks fairly similar to the stand I built for my 65 gallon. I haven't experienced any issues with mine whatsoever:

Ruxl is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2015, 03:20 PM   #6
natebuchholz
Planted Member

My only concern is whether or not the verticals continue entirely to the floor or if you plan to have them die into the bottom panel and then attach the toe kick to the face of that.

This maybe due to some confusion on my part in reading your drawings.

The reason this is important relates to how the load of the aquarium will be dispersed across your stand. The verticals are what carry the weight to the floor and if they die into the bottom rather that continue to the floor, you could experience some sagging in the middle of your stand.

All in all you have a great design and I also agree with PlantedRich above about the use of 2x material rather than 1x.

Best,
Old 01-30-2015, 04:17 PM   #7
PlantedRich
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)

A 1X4-8 in pine is currently $9.68 at the local Lowe's. This would be a wood that I would want to see before deciding it was good enough to use. Pine is suspect due to the large grain and moisture.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_1155-99899-L...etInfo=Radiata Pine

Moving into poplar gets a better board but it also gets more expensive at $14.27.

Meanwhile the common stud is only $2.93 and I can always fine enough good straight wood to do the job. I can drive a fastener into a stud without question of splitting, cracking, etc. So I build cheap and easy and don't worry about the weight as I rarely move the stand and when I do it requires two guys in most cases anyway.
PlantedRich is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2015, 12:48 AM   #8
GraphicGr8s
Pixel Prestidigitator

PTrader: (10/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
A 1X4-8 in pine is currently $9.68 at the local Lowe's. This would be a wood that I would want to see before deciding it was good enough to use. Pine is suspect due to the large grain and moisture.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_1155-99899-L...etInfo=Radiata Pine

Moving into poplar gets a better board but it also gets more expensive at $14.27.

Meanwhile the common stud is only $2.93 and I can always fine enough good straight wood to do the job. I can drive a fastener into a stud without question of splitting, cracking, etc. So I build cheap and easy and don't worry about the weight as I rarely move the stand and when I do it requires two guys in most cases anyway.
#In store you can find way cheaper 1 x4 lumber. HD sells 1x4 "super strips" or they use to anyway. Haven't looked lately. But they were cheap. I made a bunch of raised panel doors for my kitchen cabinets for my last house out of them. Woman who bought the house loved the knotty pine look.
With a tongue and dado joint or a lock miter using that as a corner leg would make an extremely light STRONG stand. And it's very stainable unlike construction grade 2x lumber.

You could even go cheaper with 2 x 3 lumber.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
GraphicGr8s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2015, 01:19 AM   #9
Kntry
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I just bought the lumber to build a stand for my 75. I bought 2 4x4x8' pine boards for the legs. I want the "beefy" look as the bottom of the legs will be exposed. I'm using 2x4's for the frame. Since most of the weight will be on the 4x4 legs, I'm confident it will hold the weight.

I also bought 1x6x12' Cedar boards, finished on one side, for the skin. These boards were the overwhelming cost of the stand at about $90. The rest of the lumber was under $25, if I remember correctly.

I would not feel comfortable using 1x's on anything but the door frame.
Fraternity of Dirt #160
75 gallon and 5 gallon - CO2 injected

Wish I had a room just for more tanks!
Kntry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2015, 03:22 AM   #10
GraphicGr8s
Pixel Prestidigitator

PTrader: (10/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kntry View Post
I just bought the lumber to build a stand for my 75. I bought 2 4x4x8' pine boards for the legs. I want the "beefy" look as the bottom of the legs will be exposed. I'm using 2x4's for the frame. Since most of the weight will be on the 4x4 legs, I'm confident it will hold the weight.

I also bought 1x6x12' Cedar boards, finished on one side, for the skin. These boards were the overwhelming cost of the stand at about $90. The rest of the lumber was under $25, if I remember correctly.

It all depends on your skill level. I have no trouble building a stand of 3/4" plywood for any size tank.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
GraphicGr8s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2015, 03:29 AM   #11
Harry Muscle
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper View Post
I don't quite understand the negative connotation you've attached to DIY stands being stronger than necessary. I'd think most, if not all DIY'ers would rather err on the side of caution than simply hope that their stands won't give out on them.
There's nothing inherently wrong with overbuilding a stand, it's just not necessary. It also has the downside of adding lots of extra weight and taking up room in the stand. Personally I enjoy the challenge of designing a stand that will handle the weight but weigh significantly less than your average DIY stand.

Harry
Old 01-31-2015, 03:31 AM   #12
Harry Muscle
Planted Tank Obsessed

I've collected feedback here and on reef central. I'll be tweaking my design a bit (still won't have any 2x4 ). I'll post back once I have the design mocked up.

Thanks for all the feedback so far.

Harry
Old 01-31-2015, 03:38 AM   #13
Harry Muscle
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kntry View Post

Most people don't realize how strong wood is on its end. For example a 1x1 piece of poplar can support over 5000lbs of weight before it will give out. If you could figure out how to transfer all the load of your tank to such a small piece your whole tank could be supported by it. The challenge and difficulty comes from figuring out how to best transfer the loads and also to prevent the wood from shifting sideways.

I know for a fact that the amount of support in my stand design will handle the weight, what I don't know is if I'm using the best approaches for transferring the weight to the supports and preventing sideway shifting.

Thanks,
Harry
Old 01-31-2015, 05:01 AM   #14
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (75/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraphicGr8s View Post
It all depends on your skill level. I have no trouble building a stand of 3/4" plywood for any size tank.
I agree! You can build a 3/4 plywood box, with an opening in the front for a door or doors, and it will be plenty strong. Just be sure the load path is never through some nails or screws in shear.
Old 01-31-2015, 06:55 AM   #15
flight50
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdntanks View Post
You may want to check out a design that was posted on Reef Central, and seems to be pretty popular, to give you some options and comparisons with your design to think about.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...readid=1169964
This stand is the most widely used out there if I am not mistaking. Its the design I used for my two garage stands and my 90g stand. Both have been modified for my intent obviously and I have a piece of mind resting any tank on its basic design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper View Post
This is the way I see it. Better to have it overbuild than the come home or wake up in the middle of the night to find my tank on the floor along with fish, plants and a flooded floor. If my stand can hold up a average size sedan, then I have build one heck of a stand. Weight is not an issue for me. Once the stand is in place, it will never move. If I need more space below, I make a bigger stand. Store bought stands are light and use thin wood so by no means am I saying they aren't strong enough. A diy stand made of 2x4 can be done by anyone. I am not a carpenter by any means so I construct and use what I fell confident in. If that means more weight, space, and expense, then that is the route I will take. I have seen some very nice 2x4-less stands out there but I am not that confident in following suite, lol.
Eheim Pimp #509
Finnex Club Member #31
The Fraternity of Dirt #146

Builds - DIY Quad 40g Stands & 90g Stand

Tanks - low tech 29g
flight50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.