Sump/Refugium/K1/CO2?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 01-28-2014, 02:44 AM   #1
craziekeiichi
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Sump/Refugium/K1/CO2?

Hi!
I'm in the process of building (another) sump and was hoping I could get a few pointers from more experienced members.

I have been doing pressurized CO2 in my tank for a few months now with some pretty basic plants just to get the hang of it and not gas my fish.
The current design does not seem to be very efficient (CO2 reactor input tee'd off from sump return, CO2 reactor output to front of sump return pump).

The 'Refugium' isn't necessary that... I want to breed marmorkrebs and whatever else I can in there to use as feeders. I was thinking that if they eat plant matter and whatever else might go down the pipe, this chamber should be towards the beginning. I was planning on putting sand and trumpet snails, as well as fast growing plants with the light coming on at night.

Lastly, I have a quite a bit of Kaldnes K1 from other projects that I would like to use here. I'm not sure if it makes sense to put it in the sump, to have a separate K1 reactor, or not use it at all. If the media requires considerable aeration then I'm assuming it will cause air build up in a sealed sump, and probably CO2 degassing wherever it's used.

I should add that I'm building it all out of acrylic. The size would also be limited as it must fit in the stand.
Currently this is for a 55 gallon cichlid/turtle/whatever tank, and I'll be adding a 30 gallon shrimp tank to this system when the grass grows a bit.

Does this seem like too much to do in one setup?
My main concern is adding the K1 to this setup.
The CO2 reactor I built seems to be pretty efficient at dissolving gas.
craziekeiichi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2014, 01:48 AM   #2
JeffE
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

ive got a refugium on my tank, I dont notice any difference and it seems like just another place to clean. I only like it to grow emersed plants out of. You don't need the entire sump perfectly sealed just parts that involve a lot of splashing. Ive never used k1 so no comment on that. I'm using a eheim needlewheel pump plumbed into the reactor then directly plumbed with a T into my eheim return pump. It cost about 10$ in pvc fittings and drastically improved my co2 injection.
JeffE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2014, 07:59 PM   #3
s14swap240sx
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Would love any other feedback on this post in regards to using k1 media and co2

bump!
s14swap240sx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.