3D Printed Spraybar for 55 Gallon
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 10-18-2014, 09:11 PM   #1
bengalhousecats
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

3D Printed Spraybar for 55 Gallon

I had some circulation problems when my tank would get dense and I would get dead spots. This thing is doing wonders so far. Has a nice low current at all parts of the tank.

Here are the files if interested, I printed at .2m with a .35mm head. Took a bit to print... but wanted to insure I didn't get any leaks.
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:506655

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:506655
bengalhousecats is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2014, 09:39 PM   #2
lee739
Algae Grower

Gold! I'm thinking of asking my wife for a 3-D printer for xmas....
lee739 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 10:08 PM   #3
DayOlder
Wounded Warrior

PTrader: (2/100%)

For some reason I can see the headlines now; "Ausie Given 3D Printer for Christmas by Wife and Uses It to Create New Stepford Wife".
DayOlder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 11:20 PM   #4
bengalhousecats
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee739 View Post
Gold! I'm thinking of asking my wife for a 3-D printer for xmas....
Get the printer. This thing has been tons of fun. I partially bought this thing for many mods I want to do with the tank with arduino stuff. Stay tuned in the weeks to come if your interested.

Also, I thought I bought this thing for me. Print time is now an argued 50/50 with mine. I have so much printed plastic jewlry, kitchenware and girl things laying around the house now. She loves it too and so could your wife.
Old 10-18-2014, 11:39 PM   #5
DayOlder
Wounded Warrior

PTrader: (2/100%)

Even Amazon has over 10 of them but the range is like from $500 to $3000. Another hobby that looks like a lot of fun and very expensive. The prices are starting to come down though.
DayOlder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 07:17 AM   #6
lee739
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengalhousecats View Post
Get the printer. This thing has been tons of fun. I partially bought this thing for many mods I want to do with the tank with arduino stuff. Stay tuned in the weeks to come if your interested.

Also, I thought I bought this thing for me. Print time is now an argued 50/50 with mine. I have so much printed plastic jewlry, kitchenware and girl things laying around the house now. She loves it too and so could your wife.
Cool - I'm into electronics too - I've been using some 'micromite' microcontrollers lately, great fun... I have a cool aquarium project in mind now...
lee739 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 02:46 PM   #7
tylergvolk
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

You should really start a separate thread titled 3D Printed Aquarium Parts
tylergvolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 03:22 PM   #8
Ultimbow
Algae Grower

That is nice . you should try to make it make one that look like a root or branch going under water.
Ultimbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 04:33 PM   #9
bengalhousecats
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimbow View Post
That is nice . you should try to make it make one that look like a root or branch going under water.
Thats actually a good idea and has got me thinking. I am going to run with this for a while to see if it fixes my circulation problem. But down the road I may consider experiementing with this. I would need to accquire some brown filament and free printing time/pending.

Also, to add to the thread. In order to print water tight. I had to keep the layers small. The smaller the layers the longer to print... When I had the layers large. I also couldn't get a tight fit where the elbow met the tube. Kept leaking. So I had to keep it small and as smooth as possible. To give you guys and idea, at .2m each of the 4 tubes took 3 hours to print. The elbow took 2 hours. So about 15 hours to print this... Also I put about 2 hours of engineering and design into this. I was a sketchup newbie at first. Getting good now.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylergvolk View Post
You should really start a separate thread titled 3D Printed Aquarium Parts
I may, I have another part for the planted tank I am working on today that I'll post later.

I may take requests and which ones I decide to fabricate. I'll send the requestor a copy.
Old 10-19-2014, 05:00 PM   #10
Bruce6000
Algae Grower

I don't know if you guys have microcenter in your area, but they have 3D printers on display with a few 3D-printed examples. They range in prices and I think they start at $499.
Bruce6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 05:26 PM   #11
bengalhousecats
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce6000 View Post
I don't know if you guys have microcenter in your area, but they have 3D printers on display with a few 3D-printed examples. They range in prices and I think they start at $499.
The printer I got is a rostock max v2 for 1k. I put around 150 or so into mods into upgrading the hotend. The stock hotend was good but the goal of the hotend is to maintain a consistent temperature throughout the print. If you go off 2 degrees, you will notice the layers cool at different temps giving it a liney look. I upgraded to a E3D-v6 hotend. Temps stay around .5 degrees of desiered temps. Bought several spools of filament and have accquired several replacement parts for breakage. I am about 1300 into it. Don't go cheap. I couldn't be more pleased with this purchase. Couple things that lead me to the rostock was its delta style arms. Spider like printing method. This allows you to print bigger. Also, if you are seriously considering. The cheap printers usally only print PLA plastic meaning they can't handle the high temp's needed to print ABS plastic. ABS is toy plastic and you need that for a planted tank. The PLA stuff will dissolve over time in an aquarium since its organic. You also want to make sure it has a heated bed. The heated bed will improve the print quality by also maintaining the desired temps and also prevent warping

Also, this was a DIY kit. With a kit you are probably saving around 1k or at least it will put you up in the range of the higher quality printers. But... It took about 18 hours to assemble and probably 20 hours of tuning and tinkering, figuring out the software and breaking... But damn was it alot of fun! probably the most funest DIY project ever. If you like to tinker and have some time. GO DIY. Going DIY also sets you up to know and learn every square inch of the printer which sets you up for mods later.

http://seemecnc.com/products/rostock-max-complete-kit
Old 10-20-2014, 12:00 AM   #12
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (75/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayOlder View Post
For some reason I can see the headlines now; "Ausie Given 3D Printer for Christmas by Wife and Uses It to Create New Stepford Wife".
There are now "photo booths" where you can make a 3D model of a person, usually just shoulders to top of head, and print copies any size you can afford to pay for. Just thought I would see if I could trigger some Aussie creativity!
Old 10-20-2014, 03:18 PM   #13
vanish
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

Not to be a party pooper, but why 3D print this (aside from "because I can) when you can make it with $2 of PVC and a drill?
Old 10-20-2014, 03:49 PM   #14
bengalhousecats
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanish View Post
Not to be a party pooper, but why 3D print this (aside from "because I can) when you can make it with $2 of PVC and a drill?
Agreed, the main reason is "because I can". But there are added bonus's. Each tube can be independantly moved. Down the road I would like to experiement with pluggable nozzles that offer different kinds of flow from the tubes and maybe a pluggable nozzle that offers an angle to perfectly hit that dead spot.

Additionally with the growth of 3D printers. It would be nice for the planted tank community that will one day have access to a 3d printer. To have a vast array of printable objects waiting for them to print. So I start now with this...
Old 10-20-2014, 04:10 PM   #15
iadubber
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

awesome! Where I work we have several MakerBot 3D printers. I'd love to "Test" out printing some aquarium parts!
iadubber is offline   Reply With Quote