Baking rocks and wood?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 07-19-2014, 05:37 AM   #1
mef1975
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Baking rocks and wood?

How hot? How long?

I've found some stuff outside that I'd like to stick into an aquarium and a terrarium, but I'm concerned about critters, molds, and algae. I know I should soak the stuff, then let it dry, then soak it again, then let it dry again, right? Although, I feel like I should bake it, but I wouldn't know for how long, and at what temp. What can you suggest? I'm particularly concerned about a little tree stump that was in a ditch next to a drainage pipe.
mef1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2014, 06:13 AM   #2
Raymond S.
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)

That I would boil as it may have had some kind of oil product on/in it from being in a ditch. I would not boil or bake rock as it can have air pockets in it. Rock can actually explode from being heated in such cases. Safe though if you can actually know what the temp is and keep it below 200F. 180-190F for 30 min will kill most anything.
Wood from rivers/streams I don't worry about but mine is from mountain arias and you can see that it's crystal clear water(the bear or dear may have used it for a toilet though).
Old 07-20-2014, 05:39 PM   #3
mef1975
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond S. View Post
That I would boil as it may have had some kind of oil product on/in it from being in a ditch. I would not boil or bake rock as it can have air pockets in it. Rock can actually explode from being heated in such cases. Safe though if you can actually know what the temp is and keep it below 200F. 180-190F for 30 min will kill most anything.
Wood from rivers/streams I don't worry about but mine is from mountain arias and you can see that it's crystal clear water(the bear or dear may have used it for a toilet though).

Awesome advice! I'm so jealous, you must live in a nice area. Thanks for bringing the oil to my attention, as it is likely involved here, come to think of it. I can't imagine anything big enough to boil this tree stump in. Might be able to hack it up, boil the pieces, then silicone it back together afterwards, then again, it might just end up in the snake terrarium (also 4'x2'x30") and I suspect a month soaking in RO water would be okay for that, maybe.

I guess I'll not boil the gravel, but instead, soak it in 10 gallons of circulating water with like 5 tbs of 3% h2o2, or would 10% ammonia without surfactant be better? Of course, I'll rinse it well with filtered water afterwards.

Last edited by mef1975; 07-20-2014 at 05:54 PM.. Reason: .
mef1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 06:38 PM   #4
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd

I don't boil rocks for the same reason Raymond stated. Some will claim it's safe, some will say at best, they will crack, for me, I don't take chances. I will just soak them in water and clean, possibly using some bleach in the surface cleaning. I am always afraid to soak them in bleach because of the possibility of leaching later, not that I have heard of it happening, I just don't take my chances and this way has always worked for me.

For driftwood, I almost always boil it. You probably only need to do it for a short period of time but a good amount of my reasoning for it is so that it doesn't leach tannis for long periods of time. I find it can take up to 8 hours or so before you get most of it out. If I have the time, I try to do 8 but I usually do 2-3 minimum. If it wasn't collected, I may just drop it in if I don't have time but I do try to boil aquarium store bought stuff as well, again, more for tannis than any other reason.
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 07:28 PM   #5
Raymond S.
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)

Half hr drive from my house. I have seen one bear/many dear but dear live in town
where I live.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/pi...ictureid=61970
One of my "collecting places" in those mountains.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/pi...ictureid=61978
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/pi...ictureid=63362
I am almost in the center of Red Milksnake territory but have yet to find someone who knows where they are. I used to live in New Orleans La where the Louisiana Milk snake is. I have had 20 at one time that I caught. One sometimes two per day was normal catching. That was before they made it illegal to harm the trees they live in.
Rotting stumps. "Thou shalt not molest the environment" you know. I could still go there and get some but I'd need to hunt them at night when they are out.

At first you said "rocks" but is it just gravel ? You can boil that. But soaking it in peroxide is just as good as long as you rinse it well.
Old 07-22-2014, 12:48 AM   #6
lochaber
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

I wouldn't worry too much about stuff on rocks, give them a good scrubbing with a stiff brush, and they are likely fine.

If you are really concerned, I'd boil. put the rock in a pot full of cold water and heat it to a boil, boil as long as you want, and let the rock sit in the pot until it cools. This would minimize the chance of cracking due to thermal expansion/contracting.

And yeah, don't bake the rocks. That has the potential of causing exploding rocks due to a buildup of pressurized steam, which won't happen when boiling (the temperature is controlled by the water, so it won't really get up above 212F, which isn't enough to generate the amount of pressure necessary for exploding). Any safe temperature for 'baking' is going to be well under 200, which won't kill most things much more then just drying the rocks in the sun.

Some people (PlantedRich, I think?) strongly advocate for a bleach soak, which I think would work as well, I just can't be bothered to do much beyond scrub off any visible dirt.
lochaber is offline   Reply With Quote