snott and algae--need ID's/advice
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Algae

Old 09-09-2010, 02:57 AM   #1
steak
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to steak

snott and algae--need ID's/advice

There are white, mucus-like strands of something growing on my filter sponges and on my filter, itself. It thrives in areas of moving water.

I'm also getting some serious algae growth. Is anybody familiar with these creatures? What are their names?

Nitrates ~15-20ppm
pH~ 6.6

Old 09-09-2010, 11:59 AM   #2
littlefish
Planted Tank Obsessed

is the first time I see such thing growing in a tank don't know what it is but let's hope there are some people here they do know.
Old 09-09-2010, 12:54 PM   #3
Axelrodi202
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)

That is cyanobacteria. It's a very hardy and difficult to get rid of algae, as it is toxic to anything that eats it. It is possible to clean out the whole tank and have it return full force in a matter of days. You can start combatting it by increasing flow. Some people have used complete black outs, where they cover the sides of the tank with black paper to prevent an light from coming in. Also, if the problem gets too desperate you can always use some antibiotics to kill it, but this may harm your biological filter too.
\_\
Axelrodi202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 03:42 AM   #4
steak
Algae Grower

I didn't know a flow increase would help the algae. I'll definitely try that out. Thank you. Anyone know about the white goo?
Old 09-10-2010, 03:49 AM   #5
Diegosaenz
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by steak View Post
I didn't know a flow increase would help the algae. I'll definitely try that out. Thank you. Anyone know about the white goo?
I have that white goo too, I wonder if its good or bad, lets hope for a good answer!
Old 09-10-2010, 03:56 AM   #6
steak
Algae Grower

Right?! I think it's some type of nitrogen fixing bacteria; it has to be consuming either nitrogen or oxygen, but it can't be CO2. Someone with this stuff needs to break out a microscope. If I can do that, I'll definitely post some pics and whatever other info I can gather.
Old 09-10-2010, 04:10 AM   #7
nicholas542
Algae Grower

the white could possibly be a fungus, and the cyanobacteria can be tamed just takes time. Cleaning it up manually works ok. I think a uv sterilizer will get rid of it too, but it also kills helpful bacteria aswell. I could be wrong with the freshwater aspect, but when I had a salt tank it worked.
Old 09-10-2010, 05:35 AM   #8
Darkblade48

PTrader: (3/100%)

A UV sterilizer will not get rid of BGA, as UV will only get rid of free floating algae (i.e. green water).

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 07:04 AM   #9
Kathyy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

It might help. During my long ago super infestation where I siphoned BGA off all the plants on a daily basis for weeks I would see very fine short strands of BGA floating looking to land again in spite of my care to get all of it off without knocking it loose. Long shot but perhaps those were small enough to be killed by UV.
Kathyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 07:12 AM   #10
Diegosaenz
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

the white gooey thing only sticks to my plastic intake and outake (just the black plastic part) pipes and the tubbing that goes inside of the tank to the co2 diffuser, other than that I have no problems with it.
Old 09-10-2010, 08:36 AM   #11
nicholas542
Algae Grower

A uv sterilizer should kill BGA when it blooms. UV radiation kills algae aswell as bacteria. So why wouldn't it kill off BGA
Old 09-10-2010, 11:29 AM   #12
Clare12345
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

I have that white cloudy stuff too. Only on the CO2 hose where it comes into the tank.
Clare12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 12:48 PM   #13
Darkblade48

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas542 View Post
A uv sterilizer should kill BGA when it blooms. UV radiation kills algae aswell as bacteria. So why wouldn't it kill off BGA
A UV sterilizer will kill off any free floating algae. If the cyanobacteria is free floating and happens to pass through the UV, then it will die.

However, if it is already on (say) the plants and/or substrate, it will not be killed by the UV, as it does not pass directly through the UV sterilizer.

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 07:46 AM   #14
steak
Algae Grower

Yea...I'll enjoy the alga before I go buying a UV sterilizer for a freshwater tank. I figure the alga will work itself out. Also, the algicide Poly(oxyethylene(dimethylimino)ethylene(dimethylim ino)ethylene dichloride) did not even touch the algae I have pictured up top.

I hear you all on the white stuff: I get it in my CO2 diffuser and on my filter. It looks like they live with O2 and CO2, so I believe they're facultative aerobes. I also believe they are eating nitrogenous compounds---either ammonium, nitrite, or nitrate. I believe they're excreting nitrite, nitrate, or N2 (elemental nitrogen). I don't know if aquatic fungi are that much different than terrestrial fungi, but if the white stuff IS fungi, it doesn't grow or look like fungi...so I'm really putting my money on nitrifying or denitrifying bacteria; particulary Nitrosomonas, Nitrobacter, or Pseudomonas. Those are the only genera of nitrifying and denitrifying bacteria I know, though.
Old 09-12-2010, 08:05 PM   #15
acropora1981
Planted Member

in saltwater tanks they use an antibiotic marketed as Red Slime Remover or Red Slime Killer by Ultralife I think? It kils cyanobacteria, at least the marine red stuff. Maybe it would also work here?

Eheim pimp #425
acropora1981 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bacteria, fungus, growth, snott, white