Does topping the aquarium water increase stress in fish\shrimp?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 09-30-2013, 07:44 AM   #1
sleepswithdafishez
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Does topping the aquarium water increase stress in fish\shrimp?

Every other day or so ,I take one,maybe two liters of water from my 10g ,and use it to water plants around the house.By the end of the week ,when I usually do the weekly partial water change ,the water level is lowered ,all I have to do is to refill the tank.
I don't refill (top)the aquarium after each time I remove water ,cause I read that even small partial water changes can cause shrimp to molt ,so if I were to do this days in a row they will get stressed and left without energy for their molts.(dunno if it's a myth or not).
My question is ,can I top off the aquarium immediately after removing water(which I do every 2-3 days to water houseplants) ,because I like when my tank is full up to the top(who doesn't?) or should I only refill it when doing the weekly water change as not to cause molts in shrimp?

I hope people are able to understand my question ,i have the flu with high fever and it's really hard for me to concentrate.Thanx
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2013, 12:12 PM   #2
roadmaster
Planted Tank Guru

I would just replace what water I removed with weekly water change with fresh dechlorinated water of close to same temp as the tank.
Can still use the old water to water plant's but would not let low water condition happen in between water changes.I only say this cause with low water condition,,unless return from filter is well below this mark,,there will be increased surface agitation from return on filter which could help drive off CO2 which is never a good thing in planted tank.
If no plant's,, then I can't see where what you are doing would be harmful, other than less dilution of organic waste due to smaller volume of water between changes.
If I take water out,,I put water back and top off as needed for evaporation.
Only if shrimp stopped molting ,would I get nervous, and plenty of folk's perform water changes each week ,and shrimp thrive,multiply.
roadmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 01:34 PM   #3
annyann
Planted Member

You could just save your water change water in a bucket or something and water your plants with it. That way you don't have to lower your tank level and you would still have your plant water on hand as needed.
annyann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 04:04 PM   #4
Mebbid
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadmaster View Post
I would just replace what water I removed with weekly water change with fresh dechlorinated water of close to same temp as the tank.
Can still use the old water to water plant's but would not let low water condition happen in between water changes.I only say this cause with low water condition,,unless return from filter is well below this mark,,there will be increased surface agitation from return on filter which could help drive off CO2 which is never a good thing in planted tank.
If no plant's,, then I can't see where what you are doing would be harmful, other than less dilution of organic waste due to smaller volume of water between changes.
If I take water out,,I put water back and top off as needed for evaporation.
Only if shrimp stopped molting ,would I get nervous, and plenty of folk's perform water changes each week ,and shrimp thrive,multiply.
Unless you are actively running CO2 on the tank then the amount of co2 that is being driven off from a low water supply s negligible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annyann View Post
You could just save your water change water in a bucket or something and water your plants with it. That way you don't have to lower your tank level and you would still have your plant water on hand as needed.
+1 This would be the best option imho
Old 09-30-2013, 04:31 PM   #5
roadmaster
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post
Unless you are actively running CO2 on the tank then the amount of co2 that is being driven off from a low water supply s negligible.

+1 This would be the best option imho
If your not actively running CO2 injection,,then ANY CO2 lost, is that much less for plant's.
Would want to keep all the CO2 I could in the tank including that which may be driven off unnecessarily.
If I was injecting CO2..well,this would be another matter.Could alway's increase the amount.Hard to do when it is in limited supply such as NON CO2 tank's.
It ain't rocket science,and opinion's vary.
roadmaster is offline   Reply With Quote