The Aquatic3 Project "The Ultimate Planted Discus Aquarium Project"
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 09-04-2010, 02:50 PM   #1
aquatic3
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

The Aquatic3 Project "The Ultimate Planted Discus Aquarium Project"

Hello all. I've finally have my Aquatic3 Project officially in motion. For those who are interested I'll be documenting my 140 gallon planted Discus project. My goal is to establish a well balanced ecosystem whereby both plant and fish (Discus + tank mattes) can cohabitate. It's not a Dutch or Biotope project. It's somewhere in between, using Nature Style concept composition techniques and less is more philosophy. As of today, I'm in day 4 of tank cycling and 50 rummy nose tetra are on their way in two weeks. My blog is for the advanced or bigner aquariast looking for advice at every state of the planning process.

Looking forward to contributing advise and feedback.
<center> Photo Day 1

Tank Specifications:

140 Gallon/110 less substrate
48" x 21" x 32" Tall
AH Supply x4 55 watt T5 Bright Strips
Eheim 7025
Lifegard Modules (custom biological + Co2 diffuser)
Lifegard 25 watt UV Sterilizer
GLA Choice CO2 System
Eheim 300 watt heaters x2
Milwaukee Ph Controller
PinPoint Remote Digital Thermometers

PH 7.0
KH 7.8
Alkalinity 2.8
GH 7

Last edited by aquatic3; 09-04-2010 at 02:58 PM.. Reason: Add Photos
aquatic3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2010, 10:26 PM   #2
Herbicidal
Planted Member

Subscribed. Looking forward to your progress.

I'm working on a 155 gallon tank for Discus and I need to start up a journal too! Mine initially will be a 'low tech' version, no CO2 for now.
Herbicidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 10:35 PM   #3
VincentK
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

This tank looks pretty neat, most of the larger tanks I see are wider, where this one is tall, I look forward to seeing this go.
Old 09-07-2010, 06:28 PM   #4
aquatic3
Algae Grower

Default Fishless Cycling Started

Fishless Cycle started today. I've been away, so starting the 100% ammonia cycling process was not going to be practical until today. Settling in at about 5 ppm and hope to see some progress on "good" bacteria colony build up and increase in Nitrite levels.
Old 09-07-2010, 06:53 PM   #5
malaybiswas
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (40/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to malaybiswas

Have you used any baterial cultures?
Old 09-07-2010, 07:14 PM   #6
aquatic3
Algae Grower

Yes...I used some becuase it came with substrate I purchased, but typicaly its not effective, so I'm focused on ammonia aditive to jump start Nitrites.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:51 PM   #7
aquatic3
Algae Grower

The fishless cycling is going better than expected and is a solid recipe for getting a large tank acclimated for fish and plants. Rummy Noses are in LFS and are be acclimated as well. Next week will a big week with the addition of 50 schooling fish.

I will be trying a plant experiment as well, which I'll post to see if I can get water lettuce to grow under the glass and in 1/4" of water. Not sure how it will go, but I really want to create a visual under water effect with the floating plant for shade and dangling root system.

Lastly, I'm working on finalizing my automatic water change system. I will post my plans for how it should work.
:bigg rin:
Old 09-09-2010, 10:25 PM   #8
Herbicidal
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquatic3 View Post
Lastly, I'm working on finalizing my automatic water change system. I will post my plans for how it should work.
I have two kids, 13 and 9, I'm curious on what you're going to do!
Herbicidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 11:22 PM   #9
MlDukes
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbicidal View Post
I have two kids, 13 and 9, I'm curious on what you're going to do!

lol, My 7 yr old "for a reason i dont understand" loves to rinse the filter pads when i clean my canisters So thats her desiginated job now.

I like the scape so far!
MlDukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 02:36 PM   #10
aquatic3
Algae Grower

Cycling is almost done. I've lost a lot of the grass (Cypris Helfari).

The Fishless Cycling started last Tuesday and is nearly complete. It works like a charm and much better than having to wait 4 to 6 weeks for traditional cycling. However, I should have removed my Cypris Helferia (grass) from the tank for the cycling. It is a very sensitive plant and really suffered 4 days in process. I had to cut back the plant from 15"+ to 4" and we will see if it comes back. Also have a few leaves from my Anubias suffer, but the rest are fine. The mosses are coming back slowly. All expected for a brand new tank start up.

So here are some of the results:

-First day of cycling...brought Ammonia levels up to about 4-5 ppm (doesn't have to be perfect). N02 and NO3 readings zero. Ph spiked from 7.2 up to 8.8. NOTE: Nitrites require higher PH above 7.2 to convert Ammonia. I don't like it this high, but it will level out.
- Day 2 dosed a little more Ammonia keeping it at level around 5 pmm;
- Day 3 started seeing very slight signs of Nitrite (N02) so stopped ammonia dosing.
- Day 4 NO2 now clearly climbing from .25 to .5 ppm, ammonia leveling out about 2.5-3 pmm
- Day 5 NO2 starting to spike 2 ppm and NO3 Nitrate levels appearing. Ammonia about 1.5 pmm
- Day 6 NO2 over 5+ and NO3 high at 80 pmm and ammonia levels steady at 1+ pmm. Conducted partial water change. Need to see NO2 and ammonia levels start dropping.

I have my Rummy Nose Tetra shipment arriving this week at LFS. They will acclimate them first and provide me 50 of the strongest lot by this weekend. Will place order for two (pair) of Germany Blue Rams.

I've also decided to Test, Dwarf Water Lettuce. We will see. Objective is to have 30 plants across the front of the tank, to provide areas of shading and effect with root system. Supposedly the Dwarf or mini species are easier to manage in aquarium, root systems are still large enough and can handle being under a lid or tight space within closed aquarium. I plan on have one filter breaking water surface for oxygenation. The space I plan on leaving is approximately 1/4" ( not a lot). The filter providing surface agitation and aeration is not the same spray bar delivering defused C02.

Note: I also decided to change the water flow direction. I had spray bars mounted in the back, spraying forward, and both providing surface agitation. I did not like the water circulation balance or the fact my CO2 delivery was possibly loosing out with water agitation. So now I have both spray bars mounted to the sides of the tank. The Left is the stronger of the two (higher GPH) and is pointing straight down. Forcing water down, across bottom and up the opposite side. This should distribute diffused CO2 better and provide less current mid tank where Discus like to hang out. The other spray bar breaks the surface, shoots water off top of tank and creates current across the top of the tank lengthwise. This provides the necessary oxygenation both plants and fish require, however lower GPH does not provide to much current to effect mid or upper levels of aquarium.
Old 09-13-2010, 03:33 PM   #11
slapnutz
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

Can't wait to see more pics!
slapnutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 06:13 PM   #12
aquatic3
Algae Grower

Here we are....week 3 of the Aquatic3 Project. Plants look good, mosses growing back. Almost at a complete cycle.

Waiting for 50 Rummy Nose.

Old 09-22-2010, 08:26 PM   #13
problemman
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (43/100%)
Default Re: The Aquatic3 Project "The Ultimate Planted Discus Aquarium Project"

very nice

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
I sell plants but not green thumbs, sorry.
problemman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
discus, nature style, planted discus aquarium