Can't keep Milwaukee bubble rate consistant
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 11-08-2004, 04:42 PM   #1
gsd78
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

Can't keep Milwaukee bubble rate consistant

I recently set up a pressurized CO2 system with a Milwaukee regulator and a DIY inline reactor. The problem I am having is that I can't keep the bubble rate consistant at all. I'll set it at 1-2 bps and when I check it later in the day it will be down to 1 bubble every 2 seconds. I've tried setting the needle valve at different values from 5 to 20 psi but still can't keep it consistant. Anyone else have this problem? Any ideas whats going on or what I could do to try to fix it?
Greg

My 240gal Square Tank Journal

Mr. Aqua 12 gal Long
gsd78 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2004, 05:28 PM   #2
pjhaddock
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to pjhaddock Send a message via MSN to pjhaddock Send a message via Yahoo to pjhaddock

I had the exact same problem and fought it for a couple months.. Dunno why it did it. I recently hooked up an external C02 reactor and since then it has been fine.. I have not adjusted it in a couple weeks now.. Weird!!!

Philip
Eheim Pimp Member #79

75 Gallon
2 54W T5HO, 1 6500K, 1 5000K, each driven at 64W
2 32W T8, 1 10000K, 1 Damar Plant Grow, each 64W
Total light = 256W
100% Black Beauty Coal Slag Substrate
Ebo-Jager 250W Heater
Rena XP3 Canister Filter
5lb Pressurized CO2 W/Milwaukee Regulator, Bubble Counter, Solenoid, and Needle Valve, DIY Inline CO2 Reactor
pjhaddock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2004, 05:34 PM   #3
Rolo
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

I can keep mine consistent as low as 0.25 bubbles/second seemingly until the tank runs out. The needle valve is receiving 20 psi. Does the pressure on the right guage fall when your bubble count slows down? That can be a sign of leaks. Are you using thread seal tape?
Old 11-08-2004, 07:16 PM   #4
gsd78
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

Yes, I did use thread tape when i installed the regulator. To be sure a leak at the regulator fitting isn't the problem i just unscrewed the regulator, put new thred tape on and tightened it up again. As for the right gauge pressure falling when the bubble rate falls....I'm not sure. I'll watch out for that if the bubble rate drops again. Hopefully it was just a leak and reinstalling the regulator fixed my problem.
Greg

My 240gal Square Tank Journal

Mr. Aqua 12 gal Long
gsd78 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2004, 08:00 PM   #5
malkore
Planted Tank Guru

make sure you have the main regulator valve opened enough. If its barely opened, it might close back up, especially if it's new. I had this problem when I was only opening it 10%. Once I opened it to 60%, and used the needle valve to dial it down, I had no problems..set it and forget it.
Filstar XP2 PIMP #3
Visit my aquarium pages - see specs on my tanks, and photos of how they've evolved
malkore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2004, 09:46 PM   #6
Rex Grigg
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to Rex Grigg Send a message via AIM to Rex Grigg

Using Teflon tape on the regulator/cylinder connection is contraindicated in compressed gas situations. Mainly due to the fact that small pieces of Teflon tape can really screw up the operation of a regulator.

The only thing that you should need to use to seal the connection is a washer. On all other metal to metal connections in my CO2 systems I use non-hardening pipe dope.
Rex Grigg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2004, 10:14 PM   #7
IUnknown
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to IUnknown

And doesn't Co2 eat through teflon?
I would check your whole Co2 line for leaks. When I used to feed my Co2 into my canister, the Co2 leaked where it penetrated the water. Co2 tubing is not Co2 proof on the outside, just the inside, so the Co2 in the tank ate through the tubing. I was getting really weird results and was lucky to have found the leak.
IUnknown is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2004, 11:47 PM   #8
Rolo
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Grigg
Using Teflon tape on the regulator/cylinder connection is contraindicated in compressed gas situations. Mainly due to the fact that small pieces of Teflon tape can really screw up the operation of a regulator.

The only thing that you should need to use to seal the connection is a washer. On all other metal to metal connections in my CO2 systems I use non-hardening pipe dope.
PTFE is teflon, I assume? This is what I'm using on my CO2 tank. For the first few days of my pressurize setup there was simply a washer. I suspected there was a leak since the tank pressure was only 650 psi. I removed the regulator, added the tape, and retached with the washer still fixed. The tank pressure went slightly higher then 800 psi. So should I still remove it?
Old 11-09-2004, 02:25 AM   #9
Rex Grigg
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to Rex Grigg Send a message via AIM to Rex Grigg

Tank pressure is dependent on temperature. If you had a leak big enough to cause a 150 psi drop you would be able to hear it.

I'm pretty sure that PFTE is Teflon. I would remove it. Also check with a welding shop or where you get your tank filled and see if they have one of the permanent washers. It's a brass piece that screws into the outlet of the cylinder and has an O ring on the face of it.

The regulator is supposed to seal to the tank with the flat face of the tank and the regulator pipe. If it's leaking from the threads you either don't have a good seal or have not tightened the nut enough.
Rex Grigg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2004, 03:39 AM   #10
Momotaro
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)

Check to be sure that the pressure on the second gauge is at 20psi. if the pressure on the second gauge is too low, it seems that maintaining a particular bubble count can be difficult.

I also do not use teflon tape. in fact, the guys at the welding shop also told me not to use any for the same reasons Rex expressed. The washer should form a good enough seal.

Mike
Old 11-09-2004, 03:42 AM   #11
Rolo
Wannabe Guru

I removed the tape. Took a toothbrush and some patience, but all came off. This time it went straight back to 800 psi too. Must have been the temperature or the nut wasn't tight enough last time.
Old 11-09-2004, 08:32 PM   #12
PetersCreek
Algae Grower

To confirm what others have supposed, PTFE is the material known as Teflon (as is Goretex, BTW). Various manufacturers' literature state that it is chemically inert, insoluable in all known solvents, has excellent resistance to inorganic and organic acids, is attacked only by molten alkali metals and by fluorine at high temperatures, etc. So, I don't think CO2 is likely to break it down...but then, I'm no chemist.

FWIW, when I set up my CO2 system, I had no thread compound on hand but I did have a role of teflon tape made for gas applications. It's much thicker than standard teflon tape, so I supposed that it's less likely to shred. To hedge that bet, I applied it behind the first thread with the idea of keeping it as far out of the path of gas flow as is practical. If/when I have to break the setup down, I'll check the tape's condition.
PetersCreek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2004, 12:18 PM   #13
RoseHawke
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via AIM to RoseHawke Send a message via MSN to RoseHawke

I'm resurrecting this thread as I'm having this exact same problem. I'll go to bed, the bps is maybe 2.5 if the controller hasn't turned the solenoid off at 6.9, I get up and the bubbles are down to 1 every couple of seconds with the ph at 7.2! Has the manufacturer (Milwaukee) had any explanations for what seems a common issue? Or recommendations on how to troubleshoot it? FWIW, on mine, tank pressure is at 900#, right guage is at 20#. I hate the thought of taking it apart and putting it back together 'cause that means I'll be having to tinker with the valves again trying to get a consistent bubble count.

55 gallon - Hi-Res — 2wpg CF lighting; pressurized CO2; 18 watt Turbo-twist UVS; Eheim Pro II 2028; eco-complete; 2 Pearl Gouramis; 7 Harlequin Rasboras; 3 Otocinclus catfish
10 gallon — lo-tech; 1.8 wpg DIY CF light; no CO2; Aquaclear mini; Schultz substrate; java fern; java moss; 7 Neon Tetras; 1 flame dwarf gourami
RoseHawke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2004, 09:52 PM   #14
glass-gardens.com
Planted Tank Enthusiast

1) Shut off the gas, disconnect the CO2 to your reactor and open the needle valve all the way until the residual pressure runs out, then back off the line pressure dial until it's loose.

2) Turn the gas back on, and with the needle valve still wide open, open up the line pressure till it reads about 30, then back your needle valve off until you get the bubble rate you want, shut the solenoid off and reconnect the CO2 to your reactor, turn the solenoid back on.
Old 12-05-2004, 10:25 PM   #15
RoseHawke
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via AIM to RoseHawke Send a message via MSN to RoseHawke

Thanks! I'll do that in the next day or so (right now I've had a couple of "adult beverages" , and tomorrow I've got to decorate a Xmas tree, or I'd do it sooner.)

55 gallon - Hi-Res — 2wpg CF lighting; pressurized CO2; 18 watt Turbo-twist UVS; Eheim Pro II 2028; eco-complete; 2 Pearl Gouramis; 7 Harlequin Rasboras; 3 Otocinclus catfish
10 gallon — lo-tech; 1.8 wpg DIY CF light; no CO2; Aquaclear mini; Schultz substrate; java fern; java moss; 7 Neon Tetras; 1 flame dwarf gourami
RoseHawke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.