How much light do I need?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 06-25-2013, 01:14 PM   #1
willarn
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

How much light do I need?

I want to go with a planted tank . I have a 30 gal tank It is 30 1/4x12 1/2x18 3/4 . I don't know if I'm going dirt or Eco-complete yet. I will do DIY co2 for now if needed . I would like to have low to med lights. I was looking at the zoo med Aquasun t5 ho Should I get 2 or 4 bulb light fixture the bulbs are 24 watts each? I also don't know plants very well yet so don't know what I want as far as plants go . I was thinking of ordering a plant package from Arizona Aquatic Gardens . I would like it to be a community tank with guppy's and such .
Thanks
willarn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2013, 02:03 PM   #2
jeffkrol
Planted Tank Guru

Well the watt/gal "rule" applies to your tubes... 1-2W per gal "low' light 3-4 Med light..If I remember correctly.
IF you do do a package of plants from there I recommend you get a bunch of Olive Nerite snails..
upside.. Efficient algae/detritus consumers, can't reproduce in freshwater, hard shells and not easily used as food, last I looked cheap there (0.88 cents each..)

downside.. little white eggs produced sporadically (for me, some seem to produce more than others and some people find them annoying).Supposidly only live 1-2 years

Recommendation is 1 per gal though there seems to be little harm in 1/2 that..at least for me. I have about 25.. There is a "guy" on ebay that also sells reasonably but that would only be needed if you didn't get them from Az aquatic.. One thing to check is if there is a huge difference in shipping. Since most live goods are shipped overnight or 2 day delivery the shipping cost can add quite a bit to the bottom line.
Other choice is liveaquaria.com which has a slightly more reasonable plant shipping policy.. as long as you don't buy livestock (inc. their overpriced Nerites.. i.e Nerata)

Oh and the plants I bought from liveaquaria did apparently have snail eggs/snails.. Which is currently not a problem and they do help the Nerites out a tad.. They are much smaller and I'm sure I'll have to eventually cull their numbers which are very low at the moment (10-ish)
jeffkrol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2013, 02:35 PM   #3
wrm130
Planted Member

Dirted tanks rule!

You cannot beat the price and your plants will love it. It can be capped with pool filter gravel/sand, once again for a super low price.

Nerites are an awesome snail! Personally I like the horned ones but they're all awesome! All the aforementioned benefits, PLUS as far as I know they are one of the only critters that can and will eat green spot algae off your glass. Amano shrimp would also be a good addition. As would a dwarf shrimp species like cherry shrimp. The former will not reproduce whilst the latter will.

Depending on the amount of plants in the "plant" packages you may wish to purchase two. Dirt will leach lots of excess nutrient initially and you're going to want to plant the tank HEAVILY right from the get go.

Google: stem plants. These are mostly fairly simply and great for keeping the water clean.

For lighting, google "sunblaster" T5H0's. They are cheaper than anything you'll find at your LFS and come with a bulb. You'll just have to mount it. Personally I love more light, but you should be fine with 2 bulbs. I like a 6700k and 10 000k combo.

Good luck and welcome to plants!!!!
wrm130 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2013, 02:44 PM   #4
jeffkrol
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrm130 View Post

Nerites are an awesome snail! Personally I like the horned ones but they're all awesome! All the aforementioned benefits, PLUS as far as I know they are one of the only critters that can and will eat green spot algae off your glass.
Olives enjoy it as well (not sure if you were including all Nerites here)
.. Beats a scraper every time..
jeffkrol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2013, 07:13 PM   #5
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (75/100%)

See http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=184368 For low to medium light try for 30-40 PAR.
Old 06-26-2013, 03:19 AM   #6
willarn
Algae Grower

Thank you for all your help .
willarn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.