What Filter for ~75g? - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 08-20-2010, 08:40 AM   #16
AquariumNoob
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

wait.. then where do the hoses for the canister go to/from? you just throw em in through the hood?
AquariumNoob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2010, 08:42 AM   #17
Indignation
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (9/100%)

What you described is a sump. That is indeed a pain in the butt, especially for a beginner. It's also completely unnecessary for a freshwater tank, as it's mostly used for saltwater tanks.

A canister filter sits under the stand, with hoses running up to plastic (or glass) tubes that hang over the edge into the aquarium. The water goes in one pipe, down a tube, through the filter, than back up another hose and though a pipe into the aquarium. They are very easy to set up, zero drilling required.
Here is an example of a very small canister filter on a 5 gallon tank for reference...

Credit to Chase127 on here.

These things literally take ten minutes to install. No tools needed.

As far as price goes... get out of petsmart, and start looking online! Petsmart is fine for buying the tank and stand, but their prices on equipment is not great. check out big al's, foster and smith, thatpetplace. You can pick up an eheim 2217 for $140 shipped on big als.The 2217 is an amazing filter, it works great and is uber-reliable.
but if you wanted 2 canisters, you might want to check out the Sun Sun filters. they are basically a cheaper chinese filter, but supposedly are working quite well for lots of people on here. Here is a link to a thread reviewing them.

Finally... xmas' idea isn't a bad one. Have you thought about getting a smaller tank and really getting a feel for the hobby before you invest in a big set-up? A 20 gallon high or a 40 gallon breeder are good starter tanks to make lots of mistakes with, (you will make mistakes, we all do) and they are easier to maintain and correct problems in.
That said, if your heart is set on a 75 gallon, by all means get it. Especially if you have an understanding mother... as you get older, you might find girlfriends/wives have a much lower tolerance for that much water in their house.
Indignation is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2010, 08:47 AM   #18
AquariumNoob
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indignation View Post
What you described is a sump. That is indeed a pain in the butt, especially for a beginner. It's also completely unnecessary for a freshwater tank, as it's mostly used for saltwater tanks.

A canister filter sits under the stand, with hoses running up to plastic (or glass) tubes that hang over the edge into the aquarium. The water goes in one pipe, down a tube, through the filter, than back up another hose and though a pipe into the aquarium. They are very easy to set up, zero drilling required.
Here is an example of a very small canister filter on a 5 gallon tank for reference...

Credit to Chase127 on here.

These things literally take ten minutes to install. No tools needed.

As far as price goes... get out of petsmart, and start looking online! Petsmart is fine for buying the tank and stand, but their prices on equipment is not great. check out big al's, foster and smith, thatpetplace. You can pick up an eheim 2217 for $140 shipped on big als.The 2217 is an amazing filter, it works great and is uber-reliable.
but if you wanted 2 canisters, you might want to check out the Sun Sun filters. they are basically a cheaper chinese filter, but supposedly are working quite well for lots of people on here. Here is a link to a thread reviewing them.

Finally... xmas' idea isn't a bad one. Have you thought about getting a smaller tank and really getting a feel for the hobby before you invest in a big set-up? A 20 gallon high or a 40 gallon breeder are good starter tanks to make lots of mistakes with, (you will make mistakes, we all do) and they are easier to maintain and correct problems in.
That said, if your heart is set on a 75 gallon, by all means get it. Especially if you have an understanding mother... as you get older, you might find girlfriends/wives have a much lower tolerance for that much water in their house.
Haha ive had tanks for years.. just never really did any research regarding em.. Had a 1.5 gallon for 3 or 4 years.. then stepped it up to a 10 gallon for 3 years.. now ive got my 37 Gallon which ive had for about 2 years.
Old 08-20-2010, 08:48 AM   #19
TeamTeal
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquariumNoob View Post
Haha ive had tanks for years.. just never really did any research regarding em.. Had a 1.5 gallon for 3 or 4 years.. then stepped it up to a 10 gallon for 3 years.. now ive got my 37 Gallon which ive had for about 2 years.
with no knowledge of filtration til now?

TeamTeal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2010, 08:49 AM   #20
AquariumNoob
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Oh, and i wanted 2 filters because the normal power filters generally only go up to 70 gallons, so i figured i would just get two of them for a 75 gallon.. I would think that one canister filter is enough for a 75 gallon, right? ill check out that eheim 2217. Is one of those enough for a 75g? Planning on having maybe 36 neon tetras and a few others or something.
Old 08-20-2010, 08:50 AM   #21
AquariumNoob
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamTeal View Post
with no knowledge of filtration til now?
Pretty much, when it comes to canister filters. Never bothered to learn about em' as i never had one and didnt think i would ever get the chance to need one =). Thants why im here.. lol if i knew about canister filters, i wouldnt be on this forum .
Old 08-20-2010, 08:58 AM   #22
Indignation
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (9/100%)

You could get away with a single 2217 on a 75g, if you added a powerhead of two for extra flow. plants need lots of water moving past them to be healthy.
Indignation is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2010, 09:01 AM   #23
AquariumNoob
Planted Tank Enthusiast

http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsUS...ter2217pluskit
That 2217 comes with the intake and everything right? No need to buy other tubes/pipes or anything? Indig can you include a link to a suggested powerhead? Might need help setting this thing up too haha.
Old 08-20-2010, 02:13 PM   #24
F22
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

Haha it comes with everything you need. Ill make you an offer that I leave open for everyone else, if you get a 2217 pm me and ill send you my work number and tell you over the phone how to set it up.
F22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2010, 02:14 PM   #25
AquariumNoob
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Haha deal.
Old 08-20-2010, 04:05 PM   #26
lauraleellbp
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)

One reason I prefer the AquaClear HOBs is that you don't have to replace any filter cartridges, especially if you use Purigen instead of the carbon bag.

You won't regret getting a 2217, though you'll probably still need a few powerheads for more flow once the filter seasons (flow slows down) and the plants fill in.
Tampa Bay Aquarium Society - Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!
TBAS Annual Fish Auction - November 1st!!

lauraleellbp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2010, 04:30 PM   #27
AquariumNoob
Planted Tank Enthusiast

What power head would you suggest getting, assuming i dont want to have to buy a new one every week .
Old 08-20-2010, 04:45 PM   #28
AquariumNoob
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Also, what substrate would you suggest? Im looking for a lighter color.. tans/browns.. should i just stick with natural rocks?
Old 08-20-2010, 04:47 PM   #29
lauraleellbp
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)

I don't use powerheads, but Koralias usually have a good rep.

Turface would probably be right up your alley, and very affordable. Comes in a tan color and would be superior nutrient content and CEC over plain gravel.
Tampa Bay Aquarium Society - Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!
TBAS Annual Fish Auction - November 1st!!

lauraleellbp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2010, 05:28 PM   #30
F22
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

If you are gonna spend the money for the koriola why not spend the extra few bucks and get an emperor 280. It will offer an equal amount of flow but also filtration, even if you toss the carbon pad and cut a 100 micron filter to size and use it as a water polisher.
F22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
75g, aquarium, tank

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.