What Filter for ~75g?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 08-20-2010, 03:09 AM   #1
AquariumNoob
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

What Filter for ~75g?

Just got permission from my mom to buy a bigger tank.. im looking at buying maybe a 75 gallon tank.. I was wondering if at 75g you absolutely NEED the huge filters that require drilling and stuff, or do they have large filters that hang on the top of the tank like the filters for smaller tanks under 40 or 50 gallons.. Looking for something simple and easy, and i dont want to start having to drill holes and stuff to set up a filter which probably costs 5x the cost of the normal filters for smaller tanks.. can i just put two filters that handle like 40 gallons each, or something like that, or are the huge external filters absolutely necessary.. Help please, im a noob .. i just know the basics lol
AquariumNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2010, 03:12 AM   #2
lauraleellbp
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)

How much filtration you needs depends on your bioload, but you do need lots of flow. You could get by with a smaller filter if you use powerheads (cheaper) to boost flow instead. If you put sponge prefilters on the powerheads you can get filtration out of those as well.

Nothing wrong with using HOB filters on a tank if you're not injecting CO2. If you go with 2x HOBs I'd get very big ones, though- I'd go with either 2x of the biggest Emperors or 2x AquaClear 110s, something along those lines.
Tampa Bay Aquarium Society - Next meeting Monday, Sept 8, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!
TBAS Annual Fish Auction - November 1st!!

lauraleellbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 03:16 AM   #3
F22
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

Eheim 2217 classic. and an emperor.
F22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 04:30 AM   #4
AquariumNoob
Planted Tank Enthusiast

im probably not going to inject co2.. at most maybe a DIY system... i was told that java ferns/phillipine java ferns/ fissidens/xmas moss do not require a lot of co2 so co2 injection isnt necessary- although it will boost growth.. Whats the best filter though.. Marineland emperors? Penguin Bio-wheels? Aquaclears? Also what sizes should i get? Two of them for 70 gallon tanks?
Old 08-20-2010, 04:32 AM   #5
AquariumNoob
Planted Tank Enthusiast

They have a Marineland emperor thats for up to 80 gallons.. would one of those be sufficient? 400 GPH?
http://www.petco.com/product/5541/Ma...FishFC_Filters
Old 08-20-2010, 04:37 AM   #6
Sharkfood
Planted Tank Guru

There are many suitable filters for a tank that size at the LFS. Look at things like Eheim 2217, Fluval fx5/405, Rena xp4, etc. You may be happiest running something like 2x 2217s or a bigger canister like the FX5 with a split return to get good circulation throughout the tank. If you want to go a little cheaper, a single 2217 or xp3/4 type filter with a couple powerheads will likely serve you well. I can't remember how tall a 75gal is, but if it's 24 inches or more, then HOB filters dont circulate water at lower levels very well, if at all.

If your going to go by what the manufacturer says the filter can handle tankwise, I'd double up. Get enough filter for 150 gallons. You'll be looking for something like 500-600 or more GPH. The actual flow from the filters will be considerably less than what is claimed.
Sharkfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 04:47 AM   #7
F22
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

I think twin 2217s are the best, but its a matter of price.
F22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 06:12 AM   #8
AquariumNoob
Planted Tank Enthusiast

i dont want cannister filters =/.. too much headache and way too expensive.. Anyhow, the one im looking at at petsmart is 230$ for the tank with the hood and lighting, and they want like 150 or something for a plain black stand.. pretty darn cheap! Another 150 lets say on filters, i already have a brand new heater that i ordered for the 35g i was gona redo before deciding to buy a new tank, but i might just buy a new new heater and put the new one in the 35g tank and set it up downstairs and put watever fish my mom likes.
The tank from petsmart is 21" high.
Old 08-20-2010, 06:21 AM   #9
AquariumNoob
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Would you say the Marineland Emperor Power model 400 is better or the Marineland Penguin Bio-Wheel 350? the Bio-wheel is cheaper, as are its refills.. Keep in mind im buying Two of these.
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...t_powerfilters

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...t_powerfilters

The emperor seems like the better choice.. are there any power filters even better than these?
Old 08-20-2010, 06:54 AM   #10
Indignation
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (9/100%)

Seems like you are set on using a HOB filter... If you want to buy either of the ones listed above, take the time to figure out what you'll be spending on filter cartridges over the span of a year. Your "cheap" filter might be just the opposite.
The reason why most people on here use and recommend canister filters is they work well, you don't have to keep buying cartridges, and the cleaning is pretty minimal. (i clean out my eheim 2215 about twice a year.) You can also find regular accounts of 15-20 year old eheims still in use. You normally don't get that reliability in a HOB.
Don't know what "headache" you are anticipating, but it might be worth the research to see if your assumptions are wrong.

That said, if you are still dead-set on using a HOB, Aquaclear is a good choice. Affordable, no cheesy cartridges, and you can use your own media. Biowheel et al. is just marketing crap, a sponge is a sponge.
Indignation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 07:09 AM   #11
AquariumNoob
Planted Tank Enthusiast

A canister filter is like 160$ for a 75g.. Plus the overflow is another 80+.. And (i think) you have to drill through the tank right? the water goes into the canister from the overflow and has to get back in somehow.. Plus you need the sump thing and whatever.. any chance you can explain the setup? i honestly have no idea, only that two filters are cheaper than the canister setup. I have no problem putting out an extra 75$ on a filter or watever, just that it seems to me like a pain in the a$$ to set it up. Do you have to drill into the tank to put the water back into it? please explain...
Old 08-20-2010, 07:12 AM   #12
TeamTeal
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquariumNoob View Post
A canister filter is like 160$ for a 75g.. Plus the overflow is another 80+.. And (i think) you have to drill through the tank right? the water goes into the canister from the overflow and has to get back in somehow.. Plus you need the sump thing and whatever.. any chance you can explain the setup? i honestly have no idea, only that two filters are cheaper than the canister setup. I have no problem putting out an extra 75$ on a filter or watever, just that it seems to me like a pain in the a$$ to set it up. Do you have to drill into the tank to put the water back into it? please explain...
you are so wrong, a cansiter filter is exactly what the name says, a filter in a canister. what you are thinking of is a sump. overflow+return pump+ extra tank in the stand and a whole lot of other crap.

canister filter are easy to use, and probably the best filtration for planted tanks

TeamTeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 07:12 AM   #13
xmas_one
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)

I think you might be better off starting with something smaller like a 10 gallon....
xmas_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 07:29 AM   #14
AquariumNoob
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamTeal View Post
you are so wrong, a cansiter filter is exactly what the name says, a filter in a canister. what you are thinking of is a sump. overflow+return pump+ extra tank in the stand and a whole lot of other crap.

canister filter are easy to use, and probably the best filtration for planted tanks
I knew that.. haha.. never bothered to really research them. Anyhow, do they require you to drill into the tank?
Old 08-20-2010, 07:36 AM   #15
TeamTeal
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquariumNoob View Post
I knew that.. haha.. never bothered to really research them. Anyhow, do they require you to drill into the tank?
no they dont, people choose to drill their tank because an overflow system might lose siphon and flood your house, but theres no need to drill a tank to use a canister filter. overflow is used for sumps

TeamTeal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
75g, aquarium, tank