36 Gal. "Second Life" - Page 8
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 02-12-2012, 04:05 PM   #106
Leaky Filter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I really like watching the progress on this tank.
Leaky Filter is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2012, 09:05 PM   #107
Rockhoe14er
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (29/100%)

love the tank Noah. Can't wait to see the rescape.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:51 PM   #108
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaky Filter View Post
I really like watching the progress on this tank.
Thank you! It has been a fun process so far. I started with low light, then up to high light, got used to growing plants, now I am going to take a stab at doing an actual semi-planned scape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockhoe14er View Post
love the tank Noah. Can't wait to see the rescape.
Thanks man! Hopefully next time your in town you can stop by and see it, as well as take some trimmings back east with you
Noahma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 03:47 AM   #109
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru

Well, rescape is done. I will say, Catching endlers along with hundreds of fry is like trying to grab a greased pig. I managed to get everyone over to the 5g bucket with only a couple fry losses. Pulling the substrate out was pretty easy, although some of the top half of the substrate is still in the tank, it is thoroughly buried, and I will remove it if it comes to the top. the fish are all colored back up and they seem to love the new scape esp. my dwarf neons. I am taking suggestions for a carpet plant now lol. I have medium light at the substrate level, so something that will grow well there would be great.

Anywho, here are the pics of the rescape.

Before the tear down.

all empty, and a bit blurry lol

the plants holding area, I found one single plant that I thought I had removed all of about a year ago, it was growing in a corner of the tank among my green rotala.

Fish's day camp.

start of the rescape

Starting to fill

Figured the amazon sword would look good all filled in back here. Just to be sure things filled in, I also added my Crispus there to.

I filled the tank VERY slowly, I have plastic card pushed into the substrate to help hold the slope, I saw that on the green machine website lol

Rescape done, FTS!

Right side of the tank

Left side of the tank
Old 02-18-2012, 06:24 AM   #110
synaethetic
Planted Tank Obsessed

nice re-scape!
synaethetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 07:04 AM   #111
keilatan
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

Oh what a difference! Beautifully done.

keilatan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 04:29 PM   #112
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaethetic View Post
nice re-scape!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by keilatan View Post
Oh what a difference! Beautifully done.
Thank you, I cannot wait to see it fill in a bit. I think I am going to try to keep the growth under control lol, the last scape sort of went wild.
Old 03-10-2012, 04:40 AM   #113
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru

Pretty good growth now, starting to fill in. I removed all of the Macandra due to massive stunting. It never recovered from the lack of nitrogen before the rescape. I put some red ludwigia in its place, hoping that I can keep it a slight shade of red. if not ehh. I will find something that will work lol. (just got this today, so its not in the pictures.

Everything is growing at a very good pace, and soon I will be able to start "shaping" the bushes of plants.

I also picked up 4 M. Herbertaxelrodi (yellow rainbows) at the LFS today, he has a good source for them. they are currently in Quarantine, and should move to the tank in a couple weeks. They are young, and just starting to color up.

Only one other species of fish will be making its way into the tank, which will be an apisto pair. This might be a while though.

Now for the pics. (sorry for the quality, I only have my iphone for the pictures lol)

Old 03-14-2012, 04:44 AM   #114
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru

quick video of the rainbow males flaring at each other last night in the Q tank.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcIAY...WY0jCGNykiiBs=
Old 03-20-2012, 05:49 AM   #115
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru

Just a few more pics. Really wish I could get myself a better camera lol. The rainbows went through Q with no problems. I released them in the main tank a tad early, but I think they will be perfectly fine.

They have taken on another hue from the bright yellow in the Q tank. And from what I read, the color is perfectly compliant with this species. It is more of a yellow / green, more yellow than green. The two males have setup a hierarchy now, with one being much more colorful than the other in the tails. Everyone in the tank is getting on fine, and the dwarf neons seem to have perked up even more now that they are not alone with nothing but endlers lol (I really need to get some population control in for these things maybe the apisto's I plan on getting will take care of the "problem")

I did a major hack on the left side of the tank, the plant groupings are starting to get thick. And I have been able to start adding some shape to the green rotala and cuba. I am still working on getting the old growth out of the way with the stellatus, and then to thicken up the plantings there as well. The Staurogyne sp. 'Porto Velho' is converting to submerged well, and they have taken root enough that I am not finding nodes floating around the tank when the MTS goes through them. There is some BBA popping up in certain plant groups, so I am working on getting that taken care of.

my Dominant male (and oldest rainbow)

Old 04-03-2012, 04:00 AM   #116
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru

And now stocking will be complete. I got my hands on a pair of "super red" Apisto's. Man this guy is sporting beautiful finage, and the female is a very pretty yellow / black.

Male.

Female

I cannot wait for them to move from the Q tank to the display tank!
Old 06-02-2012, 06:38 AM   #117
s thomas
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

Very cool re-scape project, this was really cool to follow. I'm particularly interested in seeing the Apisto in the main tank, what a cool choice of fish.

Thanks for sharing this.
s thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 07:18 AM   #118
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by s thomas View Post
Very cool re-scape project, this was really cool to follow. I'm particularly interested in seeing the Apisto in the main tank, what a cool choice of fish.

Thanks for sharing this.
I will see if I can snap some pics of them tomorrow, i have had two attempts at apisto babies. the first one went horribly and all eggs were lost, the second went very well with reaching free swimming fry. She however got bored and left them several times and the endlers had a hayday. I plan to pull a group of the fry out next time and attempt to raise them in another tank.

This is my male just a few weeks ago.

and my female.
Old 06-04-2012, 01:08 PM   #119
Leaky Filter
Algae Grower

Is it me, or is that Praceox huge?
Leaky Filter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 02:26 PM   #120
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaky Filter View Post
Is it me, or is that Praceox huge?
he is a little on the larger side of things. He is about 2.5-2.75", the glass being curved makes things seem a little larger as well. He is also 3.5 years old, with all of the other rainbows being much younger. So he has the look of a giant in the tank. The other rainbows are catching up though.