36 Gal. "Second Life" - Page 7
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 04-23-2011, 01:45 AM   #91
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilde View Post
I would first post wanted at the Colorado aquarium association. For here in GA I get a pair of Double reds for $13.
I had just been at the auction last week, and did not get the double reds that went up for auction. I am happy with my purchase, it was not a "second best" sort of thing, this was on my list of fish to keep.

The little guy is having fun exploring the tank.
Noahma is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2011, 04:59 AM   #92
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru

Just a quick update. Everything is growing well. My Aging danio's are slowly passing away. they have now lived in three different tanks, starting from my lowly 10 gal. up to this 36 gal. They were the first fish since getting back into the hobby, and deciding to plant.

I will be getting another danio eventually, but they will be a bit more special lol. I am thinking some danio choprae, but at 6.99 each I have to wait a bit.

I have added a schooling fish though, A nice small (at first) school of Espes Rasbora, They school very tightly, and are very visible anywhere they are in the tank. Very fun to watch. I plan to bring the school up to 12.

Ok, some update pics

Overall, in living room

as good as I could get of the new arivals

German Blue Ram begging for food

The carpet is starting to spread (about darn time)

still trying to get the UG to stay rooted, although it is growing.
Old 05-10-2011, 04:59 AM   #93
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru

Added more fishie friends lol. I bit the bullet and bought 4 Danio choprai with the idea of adding two more soon, and maybe 4 total to bring them up to 8. These guys are HYPER!!! Moving much mroe and faster than my Zebra Danio's did when they were in around. The colors in these things are some of the most vibrant I have seen in a fresh water fish. If I had not did my research before hand, I would have assumed that they were painted. They have very distinct orange lines down the sides of their bodies. They also have a yellowish body color that appears to be deeper in the skin. There are vertical stripes that are very faint, and look similar to the cross banded danio.

VERY NICE FISH!!! lol
Old 07-18-2011, 04:22 AM   #94
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru

Just realized that it has been a while and is now time for an update. Since my last posting I lost my pair of GBR's to some freak bug, they were fine, and then the next day dead I purchased a new male from a trusted LFS, and he is doing great two months later, and is very very active around the tank. My Dwarf Gourami and him have taken to eachother like old friends. They both hunt for food around the tank together and all. The tank is doing well except for this strange bout of BBA, which is only attacking in the middle third of the tank. I will continue to fight. I have taken the Zoisterfolia out of the tank, the bottoms were not getting enough light, and it was turning into a mess. I replaced it with ROTALA SP. 'NANJENSHAN'. I had asked if the LFS could get me in some Rotala Rotundifolia green, but this was the closest they could get. The requirements seem to be the same, so we will see how well it does. I have had one good size trim in the past I am looking for a plant that is happy in any light level, and with Co2 Hoppy recommended the rotala green. My stellata is a tank buster lol, in a week it has put on over 6" in height out of the tops, and grown over 7 new stems out of the previous 4 I had!!! the Aromatica is slower growing, and is starting to take on a nice pink hue with the added Iron. The Inclinata Cuba is doing great, and is also a very very fast growing plant, with 4" put on this week alone. the carpet is still slowly creeping its way around the front of the tank, it is going to take a very long while to get it going.

Well... Here are the pics.

FTS (I know, better camera in the future)

Happy Male Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish

insane stellata growth

My healthy GBR friend (Girl to come for him next month)

Inclinata 'Cuba' (this plant does very well in the mid light parts of my tank)

Aromatica

Threadfins chillin
Old 08-04-2011, 04:12 AM   #95
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru

Quick update.

The Stelatta is well... a monster. I trim it, and it sends out 5+ new side shoots. I am now up to about 15-20 stems lol. I also added a female GBR for my lonely male tonight, he is happy as a clam in mud.

Here are a few pics

Old 08-30-2011, 02:00 PM   #96
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

I like how you have some med. ht plants in front of the wood. It added depth. Makes me as a viewer interested in seeing what's back in there. I like that effect, I try to incorporate that element in my own aquascapes.

Nicely done!
DogFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 05:27 AM   #97
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogFish View Post
I like how you have some med. ht plants in front of the wood. It added depth. Makes me as a viewer interested in seeing what's back in there. I like that effect, I try to incorporate that element in my own aquascapes.

Nicely done!
Thanks. the right side is the side I am very happy with Although I had to move the inclinata 'cuba' last night. The right corner is a pain, it gets less light than the rest of the tank because of the equipment. The left side has undergone some drastic changes too. I moved the cuba behind the corymbosa (movet the corymbosa to the right with the rest. Moved the lotus right above and behind the red tiger lotus. And started working on bushing out the plants though some pretty major trimming. I hope I get the results I am hoping for lol. I also plan on adding some Rotala Sp. Green at some point to start a bush on the right side, along with a large sword in the back right corner.
Old 08-31-2011, 02:37 PM   #98
2in10
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

Beautiful tank, it has a great Dutch look and feel to it. Great fauna selections.
2in10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 05:13 AM   #99
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru

UPDATE!!! lol the tank has been doing great, did a pretty good sized rescape to it. and have been working on getting it filled in. I do massive trims every month or so to get the bottom of the stems to stay healthy, the inclinata seems to like to melt after a few trims. Few new plant species, a couple amazon swords (hoping they will grow big in the back right side of the tank. I added some erectus from my flora to the tank, and it seems to be doing very well too. My tiger lotus has gone into a quiet period, it is sending out fewer leaves, and they are staying much more bushy and compact.

For the sad news, I lost my dwarf gourami, she died of what I can say is probably old age, she was 3 years old, and was showing signs of it. Persistent fin rot, bacterial infections ect. She will be missed

A few weeks after that, I lost a few more fish to another disease I am not sure what brought it on. It started with a strange infection in a threadfin that had a black ring, with white in the center. I quickly lost every threadfin in the tank. I did not even have time to pull them. I lost my oldest male dwarf neon rainbowfish as well. I am now just sitting back and waiting to see if anything else is going to pop up before I restock with a new stock list. This will include my two rams (both are doing very well, and have spawned four times, and have enjoyed midnight omelets 4 times.) I will go with some softer water rainbows, IE, more dwarf neons, threadfins, and Frucata rainbows. My daughter wants me to get another gourami, so I am thinking a honey gourami this time.

here is a FTS, and some other random shots from the past month or so

My iphone cannot pick up some of the reds in the tank in the later photos, I am now using a new app, which lets me set the white balance, and is helping a great deal. I also modified the EI dosing again. I am doing normal KNO3, double K2HP04, normal CSM+B, and adding a tiny bit of iron.

Pre-trim

Post Trim

Stelatta broad leaf

inclinata 'cuba'

Macandra (this plant is much more red now that I have started upping the iron, and really focusing on the ferts)
Old 11-30-2011, 05:49 AM   #100
frenchymasters
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

i like your choice of fish for your tank. i breed rainbows so its nice to see that others enjoy them too! very nice tank as well!
frenchymasters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 06:13 AM   #101
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchymasters View Post
i like your choice of fish for your tank. i breed rainbows so its nice to see that others enjoy them too! very nice tank as well!
Thank you. I LOVE rainbows, I need a bigger tank for some of the larger species though. One of these days I will get around to setting up a 72 gal. bowfront and go with my favorite rainbows (herbi's)
Old 11-30-2011, 07:04 AM   #102
frenchymasters
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

do you go for quality or the run of the mill bows? i have alot of quality bows that i have sourced out. like my F2 praecox 'pagai' rainbows and then german red bows, true wanamensis, parkonsoni, iran reds, golden gertrudes, gertrude aru II, and parva....im still collecting some more
frenchymasters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 07:47 AM   #103
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru

A few quick update pictures. Things are growing nicely except my pinninfida. but otherwise its going good.

Old 02-11-2012, 07:19 PM   #104
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru

Rescape incoming!!!

I have some black granite and black sand ready to go in the tank. All I am waiting for now is my root tabs (should be here very soon) and the tank will get a major redo. I am a bit tired of the driftwood, it seems to be a magnet for BBA and Staghorn, so out it goes.
Old 02-11-2012, 07:27 PM   #105
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchymasters View Post
do you go for quality or the run of the mill bows? i have alot of quality bows that i have sourced out. like my F2 praecox 'pagai' rainbows and then german red bows, true wanamensis, parkonsoni, iran reds, golden gertrudes, gertrude aru II, and parva....im still collecting some more
Sorry I completely spaced responding to your post lol (been a long time since I have stopped in my thread)

I usually go for the run of the mill rainbows, Once I am able to get a larger tank, I am sure I will be going for some of the more specialty rainbows. I really want a large school of M. Kamaka's one of our LFS got some in stock and they are GREAT looking fish, and they stay pretty small.