36 Gal. "Second Life" - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 09-02-2010, 02:57 AM   #16
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Just about there!!! I might go see if I can get a few rocks and use them to hold down the wood and start the rescape tomorrow.
Noahma is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2010, 03:42 AM   #17
Eden Marel
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (38/100%)

I don't think I could wait that long to rescape lol. But then again i am very impatient and impulsive. Everything has to be now now now.
Old 09-02-2010, 03:45 AM   #18
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eden Marel View Post
I don't think I could wait that long to rescape lol. But then again i am very impatient and impulsive. Everything has to be now now now.
Trust me, I am that exact way too lol But the wood being so dry has sort of forced me to be patient. I have a HUGE plant order in a shopping cart at a plant website just waiting for me to get the initial scape done and see which plants I really want.
Old 09-02-2010, 04:58 AM   #19
Eden Marel
Planted Tank Guru

Maybe put the wood in your bath tub, and boils pots of water and pour it in the tub with the wood in it!! Just rinse your tub before that way in case the soap residue from your soap and shampoo will go away. And it shouldn't be too hard to clean after it. But then again that is me and I'm not too concerned about germs and stuff.

Or pour the boiling water into the plastic container, but I'm not sure if it'll melt or someting
Old 09-02-2010, 05:18 AM   #20
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Maybe put the wood in your bath tub, and boils pots of water and pour it in the tub with the wood in it!! Just rinse your tub before that way in case the soap residue from your soap and shampoo will go away. And it shouldn't be too hard to clean after it. But then again that is me and I'm not too concerned about germs and stuff.

Or pour the boiling water into the plastic container, but I'm not sure if it'll melt or someting
I have a nice 15 gal. plastic tub in my backyard with a lid. I have been replacing the water with scalding hot water every day for two weeks lol.
Old 09-02-2010, 05:36 AM   #21
Eden Marel
Planted Tank Guru

Well gosh darn, lol. Guess I'll be sticking with mopani wood, jeeeeez.
Old 09-02-2010, 05:46 AM   #22
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Well gosh darn, lol. Guess I'll be sticking with mopani wood, jeeeeez.
lol, thats what I have been thinking. The wood that I did get is AWESOME though. And there is absolutely no tannins staining the water
Old 09-05-2010, 04:28 AM   #23
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru

Well, the rescape starts tomorrow, my first objective is to hack away at the water wisteria, I plan on keeping some in the back right of the tank. All of my Val will stay where they are, and allow to fill in a bit back there. The three lotus plants are going to be placed with the tallest behind the wood, the mid tangled within the wood, and the small very low one in front of the wood. The lobela is going to be placed somewhere in the front. I am getting some Sunset hydro that will be placed mid tank in the back. I have a VERY large sword in the back that will stay put as well as two crypt. wendtii's. The Amazon swords will be brought forward to mid tank far left. With the Madagascar lace being put front left, with larger leaves being trimmed. I have an order I just need to submit for more dwarf 4 leaf clover that will be spread around the front of the tank. The Red Ludwiga I have will be used somewhere in the background as well. My Anubias Nana will be glued to the wood somewhere. I plan to attach some of the java moss on the new lace rock that will be in the tank as well.
Old 09-05-2010, 07:13 PM   #24
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru

Well, the tank re-scape went very well. I ended up not really moving a whole lot of plant around. I pulled the big fake log out of the right side, moved my ludwiga to the back, pulled a red rubin sword to the front right to let it grow a bit. Moved one (the lowest) lily in front of the wood, moved a small crypt. and my c. parva to a new location, and really just left everything else alone. I have plenty of room for some other stems coming hopefully tomorrow. I am very happy, the fish seem to be happy with the increased swimming room. The shrimp are enthusiastically exploring the wood.

Here are a couple of finished pics. If you see anything that would help, feel free to add a comment

The pics are not the greatest, I used my iphone.
I also used a new app to take the pics, I will try to get some better ones up in the next few hours.

Old 09-05-2010, 07:49 PM   #25
syzygy9
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)

Looks great!

Couple questions...

What is the light green plant in the very front right? I need more small foreground type stuff and that one seems nice.

What is your photoperiod? We have the same size tanks and the same light fixture so I'd like to cheat from you at least as a starting point.
syzygy9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 09:31 PM   #26
Chrisinator
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)

Awesome!
Chrisinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 11:03 PM   #27
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by syzygy9 View Post
Looks great!

Couple questions...

What is the light green plant in the very front right? I need more small foreground type stuff and that one seems nice.

What is your photoperiod? We have the same size tanks and the same light fixture so I'd like to cheat from you at least as a starting point.
hehe, no probs. The plant in the foreground on the far right is a chain sword. I was not expecting it to survive in the tank due to the lighting requirements I had been finding online. But it is growing GREAT. I use a 12 hour photo period, the light turns on at 11am, and off at 11pm followed by about 1/2-3/4 hour of my DIY moon light. The light fixture is a GREAT one, I have had no problems growing any plants I have wanted to with the exception of high light plants.

Now all I need to do is figure out why my dwarf gourami recently decided that chasing my male Dwarf Neon Ranbows is such fun. They do not seem to like it much.
Old 09-05-2010, 11:07 PM   #28
Eden Marel
Planted Tank Guru

It looks great, nice and roomy. How much light did you have? My Chainswords are great, easy crazy baby makers, but grew really tall... 13".
Old 09-05-2010, 11:11 PM   #29
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
It looks great, nice and roomy. How much light did you have? My Chainswords are great, easy crazy baby makers, but grew really tall... 13".
It is a coralife dual 18 watt T5NO fixture. I am trying to remember what species of chain it is. I think it might be a dwarf chain, or a micro chain?
Old 09-05-2010, 11:14 PM   #30
Eden Marel
Planted Tank Guru

Ohh I see. Mine was Narrow Leaf Chainsword was supposed to be no taller than 6" , but it got to 13" xD. Ohh yea, did this tank have shrimp in it? Did you catch them all.

When I did my 10g, I trapped some of them, but it was big PITA so I just redid the tank with most of them in there. Hopefully not to many got buried or squished.