Trenton's ADA 60P Journal - Tank Planted
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 06-05-2012, 07:05 PM   #1
trenton
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Trenton's ADA 60P Journal - Tank Planted

Current FTS (August 24, 2012).

Hey everyone,

This journal will be chronicling my iwagumi style ADA 60P and what I found out along the way. I have found out very quickly that there is no cut and dry method of doing things so bear with me as I try to make sense of it all.

My aim is to make my journal detailed so that others can get help from it if needed. I don't consider myself to know very much, but I am learning more every day.

I just really want to thank everyone on TPT for taking time out of their lives to post their own experiences, journals, replies, etc. Without these invaluable resources, I would be making a lot more mistakes than I am going to!

Current Setup - Rockwall Mountain Scape
Red denotes planned/unpurchased
Blue denotes in the mail!

Soil/Substrate:
- ADA Aqua Soil New Amazonia Normal (9+3 liters)
- ADA Aqua Soil New Amazonia Powder (3 liters)
- ADA Clear Super, Bacter 100, Tourmaline BC, Penac W and Penac P

Hardscape:
- Rocks collected at our cabin in B.C.
The rocks were scrubbed and disinfected with bleach water and tested for suitability with the API Nitrate #1 drops. No bubbles were present.

Filtration/Flow:
- Eheim Classic 2215
- Media TBD
- Hydor 200w Heater
- Aquatic Magic 13mm Lily Pipes

CO2 Distribution:
- 5lb Aluminum Cylinder
- Go CYL-20 SS Regulator
- Clippard Mouse Solenoid
- Swagelok SS-SS2-A
- Assorted Swagelok Fittings and Check Valve
- Aquatic Magic Bubble Counter
- Aquatic Magic Rhinox 2000 Distributer
- Aquatic Magic Drop Checker

Light:
- Aqua Medic Sunbeam 2x24W T5HO
- Giesemann Midday
- DIY Conduit Light Hanger

Flora:
- Hemianthus Callitrichoides 'Cuba' (HC)
At this point as I am just trying to figure everything out so I will be sticking with one carpet plant. I will try more plants/mosses in the future though once I get the hang of everything. I would like to try out: mini micro sword, DHG, e. tenellus and various other mosses.

Fauna:
- 12 Rummy Nose Tetra
- 6 Panda Corydoras
- 4 Otocinclus Vittatus (Otos)
- 4 Amano Shrimp
- 2 Long fin GBR

Fertilizers:
- Pfertz NPK and Micros
- ADA ECA, Green Bacter, Green Gain and Phyton-Git

Misc.:

So far it has been a big struggle to try to source everything that I need living in Calgary, AB. I have had to buy pretty much everything online from the USA or Vancouver, BC. This means a lot of shipping costs but the alternative is waiting for an order to come in at my LFS and pay double the price anyways so shipping is worth it.

Currently I am waiting a couple of packages. The 60P among other things has finally been in stock, so it is being shipped right now from AFA! I will have to wait till the end of July though to plant and fill as I am on holidays for about 2 weeks.

I can't wait to share my experiences with you all. Thanks for checking out my journal!

-T

Last edited by trenton; 08-28-2012 at 01:29 AM.. Reason: Edit
trenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2012, 12:22 AM   #2
trenton
Algae Grower

Pfertz arrived yesterday.

Quick shipping, had to pay $20 when it got here though...

Two of the bottles leaked a bit, not too much though!

Full set:

Shipment from AFG with my 60P is scheduled to come tomorrow. Pictures to come on the weekend.
Old 06-08-2012, 02:08 AM   #3
jcgd
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via MSN to jcgd

Wow! Somebody else from Calgary. Solid setup man, I can't wait to see your scape. I know how you feel about sourcing everything. I just got a tank going myself.

Definately subscribed!
jcgd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 04:19 PM   #4
trenton
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcgd View Post
Wow! Somebody else from Calgary. Solid setup man, I can't wait to see your scape. I know how you feel about sourcing everything. I just got a tank going myself.

Definately subscribed!
Thanks! Pretty nice setup yourself, can't wait to see it once it's grown in more.

By the way, where do you get your CO2 filled? I haven't called anywhere yet, but most places don't advertise they fill CO2 cylinders for small consumers like us. I have seen in other threads Sprouse and The Recharge Centre mentioned along with Airgas and other major distributors of gases. I'm thinking the bigger places would be less catering to guy who wants a 5lb cylinder filled. They would also need to fill as I wait because I only am getting one cylinder. Any ideas?
Old 06-08-2012, 06:10 PM   #5
jcgd
Wannabe Guru

Recharge center is where I go. It's off of Blackfoot trail. Around 58th ave. The only issue is you have to leave it overnight or pay a rush fee of $10. Otherwise it's around $25 for a normal fill.
Old 06-08-2012, 07:03 PM   #6
iano7000
Algae Grower

I have been ordering parts online for my fish tank since I live on Vancouver Island. I would recommend USPS for packages coming from the states if you're not already using them. UPS is the enemy is my opinion, they always seem to have extra fees. Good looking gear, can't wait to see more.
iano7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 08:15 PM   #7
jcgd
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by iano7000 View Post
I have been ordering parts online for my fish tank since I live on Vancouver Island. I would recommend USPS for packages coming from the states if you're not already using them. UPS is the enemy is my opinion, they always seem to have extra fees. Good looking gear, can't wait to see more.
Ups has a chart on their site that states the value of the item, and the duty+ processing you will pay. The fees aren't hidden, they are just really high. They are good if you need the package on a certain day though. I've had stuff sit at the border for six weeks or more with USPS. They are still my #1 choice, regardless.

Trenton, where'd you get the stainless parts for your reg?
Old 06-08-2012, 11:32 PM   #8
mcqueenesq
Planted Member

PTrader: (20/100%)

Wow, you're all set! Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Mini M
| 60-P | 45-F 1 | 45-F 2
mcqueenesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 12:02 AM   #9
ChadRamsey
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (56/100%)

well it appears that you are not cutting any corners so far....

I cant wait to see the set up

There are 2 types of people on this forum. Those that have algae, and those that lie and say they don't.
ChadRamsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 03:25 AM   #10
fusiongt
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

Pretty parts, now let's see the tank setup.
Old 06-09-2012, 04:35 PM   #11
GMYukonon24s
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusiongt View Post

I agree can't wait to see it setup
GMYukonon24s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 05:12 PM   #12
mahko
Planted Member

I chuckle every time I walk in to Pisces and see the prices of ADA products. I second the recommendation for Recharge Center. I got my filled CO2 tank there, but haven't had to refill it yet. Nice to see how this turns out.
Old 06-09-2012, 07:49 PM   #13
Mr. Fish
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

Not sure why people buy those bottles instead of dry ferts...

But they sure do look nice.
Old 06-10-2012, 04:11 AM   #14
trenton
Algae Grower

Sorry about the slow response. Had a crazy couple of days! On to the responses.

Quote:
Recharge center is where I go. It's off of Blackfoot trail. Around 58th ave. The only issue is you have to leave it overnight or pay a rush fee of $10. Otherwise it's around $25 for a normal fill.
I will have to drop by their once I get my cylinder. I would probably do the rush thing because I don't think I would have the time to go two days in a row.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iano7000 View Post
Quote:
Ups has a chart on their site that states the value of the item, and the duty+ processing you will pay. The fees aren't hidden, they are just really high. They are good if you need the package on a certain day though. I've had stuff sit at the border for six weeks or more with USPS. They are still my #1 choice, regardless.

Trenton, where'd you get the stainless parts for your reg?
Now you guys tell me!! Yeah I always forget about the COD charges from UPS. I got the UPS slip yesterday for my packages from AFA... not a pretty sight! Let's just say that my good deal I got from getting lower prices in the US is not such a good deal anymore... I guess that's the sacrifice I have to pay because the alternative was not getting the tank till probably August.

I got the stainless reg and needle valve from Maknwar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcqueenesq View Post
Wow, you're all set! Looking forward to seeing the finished product.
Thanks, me too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadRamsey View Post
well it appears that you are not cutting any corners so far....

I cant wait to see the set up
Well I did cut corners on the glassware. I plan on upgrading it in the future though to most likely all ADA. I like the Cal Aqua Labs glassware too but I think I'd like to stick to the one brand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusiongt View Post
You will, but I have to wait till the end of July. I am gone on holidays in the middle of July. Not a good combo with a cycling tank!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMYukonon24s View Post
I agree can't wait to see it setup
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahko View Post
I chuckle every time I walk in to Pisces and see the prices of ADA products. I second the recommendation for Recharge Center. I got my filled CO2 tank there, but haven't had to refill it yet. Nice to see how this turns out.
I know! What I don't understand though is how some things are the same and others are double the US price... Really like your tank by the way! I guess it's probably cause it is similar to my setup!

Had actually saved pictures of your stand as one I want style mine after in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fish View Post
Not sure why people buy those bottles instead of dry ferts...

But they sure do look nice.
And hopefully they will make my plants look nice too!

I know, I know. I read a lot of arguments about dry vs premixed fertilizers and I realize they are not as economical. I don't want a big debate about one vs. the other. They both have their merits and demerits. All I have to say is that it was the easiest and fastest thing for me use at this point.

The only reason I chose Pfertz over RootMedic, and nothing against the two bottle system, was that it was a bit more customizable in the dosing.

I am not ruling out using dry fertilizers in the future though. Depending on how well this tank goes and how many more tanks I may (or may not) acquire the cost savings of the premixed would far outweigh the convenience of the premixed.

Tank and other supplies on Monday!!
Old 06-10-2012, 05:17 AM   #15
vraev
Algae Grower

Looks awsome man. I didn't get the additives and stuff, but have a pretty similar setup to yours...pfertz included and the same ADA rip off bubble counter (which is just soo cool looking).

Nice to see another canadian here. Subscribed.

vraev is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ada 60p, iwagumi, journal