how long would a 500mL bottle of seachem excel last?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 08-18-2010, 07:32 PM   #1
fishykid1
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

how long would a 500mL bottle of seachem excel last?

I have a 20G hightech and 10G low tech and was planning to dose excel to help the growth. How long do you think the bottle would last if dosing twice per week?
?
4 months? 6 months
fishykid1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2010, 08:13 PM   #2
DarkCobra
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

The recommended dose is 1ml per 10g, dosed daily. So for both your tanks, that would be 3ml/day. 500ml / 3ml = 166 days, or about 5 1/2 months.

The daily doses are preferred since Excel only lasts about a day in the aquarium anyway.
DarkCobra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2010, 08:33 PM   #3
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (75/100%)

The 165 days would be reduced by the number of water changes you do during that time. If you change 50% of the water every week you would dose 5X at each change, or 15 ml each time. So one weeks total dosage would be 15 plus 3x6 or 33 ml per week. 500 divided by 33 is 15.15 weeks or 106 days, 3 1/3 months.

Last edited by Hoppy; 08-18-2010 at 11:07 PM..
Hoppy is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2010, 10:56 PM   #4
DarkCobra
Planted Tank Guru

Some people, myself included, never use the 5X dose though. It's of questionable usefulness since it'll be gone in a day anyway; and since Excel is toxic at higher doses, I prefer to play it safe.

Actually, I just switched over to Metricide. If I use normal daily doses on all my aquariums (total 84g), it'll last me 2.5 years. Not bad for $25.
Old 08-19-2010, 01:17 AM   #5
fishykid1
Wannabe Guru

where can you get metricide? I've heard of it, never seen it. I'm also going to get a 500mL bottle of seachem iron. that should be in a lot smaller doses.

Even in hightech tanks doesn't excel help some? I've heard that many times. I probably would stick to just the 1mL per 10G daily. and not really worry about water changes since 1 tank is low tech and the other has injected co2 at 30 ppm
Old 08-19-2010, 02:29 AM   #6
DevonCloud
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Are you using it to supplement the CO2 you're already injecting or for the nutrients? If you're injecting and have it at the 30ppm, then it won't provide any really noticeable additional benefit as far as CO2.
Old 08-19-2010, 06:29 AM   #7
DarkCobra
Planted Tank Guru

Metricide 14-Day 1 Gallon is available at Dealmed.com for $17.15, comes out to about $25 with shipping. If you get it, throw out the separate small bottle of activator. Metricide 14-Day is 2.6% Glutaraldehyde, and Excel is estimated to be about 1.5% (no one really knows for sure). I opted for an easy 1:1 dilution with distilled water, which puts it at 1.3%. Do take care handling it, and try not to inhale the fumes; although they weren't as bad as some people seem to claim.

I agree that any difference Excel makes for plant growth in a CO2-injected tank is generally going to be too small to notice; though it's possible it may benefit some plants more than others, or make up for localized deficiencies in CO2 or bad circulation, etc.
Old 08-19-2010, 01:36 PM   #8
fishykid1
Wannabe Guru

okay thanks, I think what I'm getting in the co2 injected tank is more of a slight iron deficiency than anything. I dosed the csm+b a little bit higher and the reds in the crypts and repens seemed to get deep. So i'll see how a little extra iron brings out the reds. Hair algae is caused by not enough iron correct? Everything else is on EI dosing...so that's the only thing i can think of.
Old 08-21-2010, 11:38 AM   #9
barbarossa4122
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (19/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishykid1 View Post
where can you get metricide?
Just ordered another gallon for $ 26.99 shipping included. The best price I found was here: www.dealmed.com. (if you buy it make sure you do not use the activator and handle it with care) Good luck.

Sorry "DarkCobra" I saw your post too late
Old 08-23-2010, 01:48 PM   #10
OverStocked
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkCobra View Post
Metricide 14-Day 1 Gallon is available at Dealmed.com for $17.15, comes out to about $25 with shipping. If you get it, throw out the separate small bottle of activator. Metricide 14-Day is 2.6% Glutaraldehyde, and Excel is estimated to be about 1.5% (no one really knows for sure). I opted for an easy 1:1 dilution with distilled water, which puts it at 1.3%. Do take care handling it, and try not to inhale the fumes; although they weren't as bad as some people seem to claim.

I agree that any difference Excel makes for plant growth in a CO2-injected tank is generally going to be too small to notice; though it's possible it may benefit some plants more than others, or make up for localized deficiencies in CO2 or bad circulation, etc.
Actually, this has been tested long ago:
http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/co...r=asc&start=30
OverStocked is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2010, 12:50 AM   #11
DarkCobra
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by over_stocked View Post
Yep, I just figured I'd qualify that statement since Seachem claims to use "polycycloglutaracetal" rather than glutaraldehyde. Which is probably just marketing nonsense; but if there's any truth to it, it's possible this might have affected the results of the test method used.

Regardless, 1.5% glutaraldehyde appears to work identically to Excel.
Old 08-26-2010, 07:04 AM   #12
albirdy
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (25/100%)

great read.

thanks, buddy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by over_stocked View Post
albirdy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.