Marimo balls
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Plants

Old 11-02-2004, 04:18 PM   #1
TeeItUp
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Marimo balls

OK I am somewhat intrigued by these. I also have not found much writing on them. What is the general consensus on their addition to a planted tank? I am not keen on adding algae to my tank so my question is can anything bad come from having them in your tank?
Eheim Pimp Club member #14
2215 Classic
Eheim CO2 Diffuser
TeeItUp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2004, 05:34 PM   #2
BSS
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

Good question. I recently purchased one to get my plant order about the site minimum. It's just sitting in the middle of my tank. I like the looks of it and am not expecting anything bad, but would love to hear from others more experienced with this plant.

Thanks,
Brian.
Old 11-02-2004, 08:48 PM   #3
Aquabobo
Algae Grower

Well...I've got two tanks and each one has 2 of them in it. For one, they are cool looking. If you don't have the current, just reach in and rotate them a little. This will help keep a more round shape (if that's what you want) and keep the color. I also took one that was more oval and pulled it apart into two, rolled them and now have two smaller ones. Cool though. Also, you can gently flatten them and turn them into nice "rolling carpets."

There are reports that they help filtration (not being plants, but algae) and also prevent other algae from growing. I haven't had them long enough to really tell too much of a difference.
Aquabobo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2004, 09:26 PM   #4
fedge
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

Well they, like all other plants, will compete for nutrients against bad algae. However, they will not keep it at bay, like you may want to believe, any more than other plants. I noticed that mine are just as suseptable to hair algae growth. I moved them to a small nano tank and they are doing better now. They are cool algae colonies, but if you dont feel like turning them every 3-4 days then I would stay away from them.
Old 11-02-2004, 10:34 PM   #5
putty
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Could you get them to colonize a rock or some wood?

I think that would be the coolest.

I am not big on having a green ball sitting in the tank, but if I could get it to grow on some gnarly wood...sign me up.
Old 11-03-2004, 12:34 PM   #6
Clone
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by putty
I am not big on having a green ball sitting in the tank, but if I could get it to grow on some gnarly wood...sign me up.
I'm with you. Most of the time the Marimo balls simply look out of place.
Clone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.