Wisconsin LFS'!!! - Page 7
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Wisconsin

Old 12-15-2010, 01:45 PM   #91
RipariumGuy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

Whoa! Another homeschooled teenager eh? Awesome!
Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3
RipariumGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2010, 06:25 PM   #92
defiesexistence
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Sure, if we got a free hosting site, like you said. Or whatever blogger is. (not technologically savvy)

Yep, you creeper, I am Kidding. Pleasure to meet yet another homeschooler, Jake.
Old 12-15-2010, 06:49 PM   #93
RipariumGuy
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by defiesexistence View Post
Sure, if we got a free hosting site, like you said. Or whatever blogger is. (not technologically savvy)

Yep, you creeper, I am Kidding. Pleasure to meet yet another homeschooler, Jake.
lol.

So its you, me, Caton, Ferretowner96, and tw103. That is alot of teenage homeshoolers... Such a small world.

Blogger is a blogging site. Free and I know how to use it!
Now we need a name. How about WAGA? WI aquatic gardeners acc.? Or WAPC. WI aquatic/aquarium plant club.
Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3
Old 12-15-2010, 06:56 PM   #94
RipariumGuy
Planted Tank Guru

Here are a couple more ideas.

WAPS - Wisconsin Aquatic Plant Society
WAPE - Wisconsin Aquatic Plant Enthusiasts
WPAE - Wisconsin Aquarium Plant Enthusiasts
APEW - Aquarium Plant Enthusiasts of WI
WAPA - WI Aquatic Plant Acc.
NACW - Nature Aquarium Club of WI
WNAC - WI Nature Aquarium Club

I personally like either WAGA, WAPC and NACW.
Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3
Old 12-15-2010, 06:59 PM   #95
defiesexistence
Planted Tank Enthusiast

5 of us, and I feel that there's more. Ah well, memory fails me, as always.

Gee, you know of a site, and you know how to use it??? *mutters* these computer-ninja-tech-mongers....

Name name name name.... Schmegh. First, are we sure that there is no plant society already? But, in any case, good ideas. I like WAGA too. As for names with nature in it: I think that's a decent idea, however, natural would imply a NPT method, IMO. Most planted tanks are not like that. Wisconsin.... Planted Hobbyists/Aquatics/Aquariums? Just throwing names with plants about. Wisconsin Planted Aquatica? Wisconsin Aquagardeners? Short and sweet. I've never been good at naming, and it's one of those days where my brain isn't hitting on all cylinders. Feel free to discard all of the above.

Last edited by defiesexistence; 12-15-2010 at 07:09 PM.. Reason: Give me a second before you ninja me again
defiesexistence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 07:11 PM   #96
RipariumGuy
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
5 of us, and I feel that there's more. Ah well, memory fails me, as always.

Gee, you know of a site, and you know how to use it??? *mutters* these computer-ninja-tech-mongers....

Name name name name.... Schmegh. First, are we sure that there is no plant society already? But, in any case, good ideas. I prefer the latter. Wisconsin.... Planted Hobbyists/Aquatics/Aquariums/Aquagardening? Just throwing names with plants around. Any other ideas?

Well Madison deffinatly has one. But other then that I am not sure. The Madison has about 40 in all I believe.

My thoughts on meetings and such are.

Monthly - Newsletter, Meeting(s?) in chosen area(s) (one up north, one down south?)
Yearly/Twice a Year - Large plant swap/auction.

The newsletter could be sent by email and would have an artical or two, a classified section, a LFS report(?) and the dates of the next meetings/updates. That would be rather easy I think.

We could make the club really cheap. If we meet at someones house or some other free place and people donate flyer material and such.

</end rambling>
Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3
Old 12-15-2010, 07:34 PM   #97
defiesexistence
Planted Tank Enthusiast

My thoughts: Email newsletter monthly, I concur! Saves cost, and more people tend to see it. I agree with you wholeheartedly on the newsletter. Maybe brief photography advice monthly too, with pics?
Meetings in people's home or LFS, bimonthly (long drive for some). Try to rotate around the state, so the meetings aren't all in one place?
A biyearly plant swap sounds great. Some plants can also be brought to meetings. If my LFS hires me after I put in the application, I can ask if we can host every so often.

It'll likely be a rough rough start for a few years if we go through with this.

Maybe we should move this to PM or something so as to stop thread clutter?
Old 12-16-2010, 05:18 PM   #98
defiesexistence
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Curiosity question. Is that Fish Bowl in your signature your own?
Old 12-17-2010, 12:55 AM   #99
RipariumGuy
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Curiosity question. Is that Fish Bowl in your signature your own?
Yep! Its a working progress. Just needed an(other....) outlet for my fishyness... Plus if I post often the parents count it as (Kinda....) school!
Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3
Old 12-17-2010, 07:20 PM   #100
defiesexistence
Planted Tank Enthusiast

NICE! IMO, this site has more appliable, constructive information in it than homeschooling textbooks. Mine, at least.
Old 12-17-2010, 07:33 PM   #101
RipariumGuy
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
NICE! IMO, this site has more appliable, constructive information in it than homeschooling textbooks. Mine, at least.
Thanks!
Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3
Old 12-17-2010, 07:48 PM   #102
dzydvl
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)

I haven't had a chance to read everything, but I will once I get to school.. who schedules a final Friday night. Anyway, I'm out near Madison, and I was recently made aware of a few plant clubs that are worth checking out. I have the websites, but can't post them from my phone..

I do want to chime in on the home school comments. While I went to public school, I do support home schooling. I am a USBC certified coach, and I currently coach 3 leagues of home schoolers. They are the most polite, attentive, respectful groups I coach. I plan on home schooling my boys, I just worry about the lack of club sports in my area.

Will work for shrimpz.......
dzydvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 07:54 PM   #103
kingfisherfleshy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

I can see both aspects...sometimes home schooling is good, but you miss out on a lot of opportunities your kids could have at school.

Plus having them learn to deal with others, and different adults is an important growing process, and I have seen some homeschooled kids that needed that badly.

You have to wonder as a parent what you are, and arent teaching, and what standards you hold yourself too.
Old 12-17-2010, 08:22 PM   #104
defiesexistence
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Kingfisher and Dzydvl, I agree whole-heartedly. You can't shut yourself up and expect a mentally healthy individual. At public school, it was all about the winning. So I quit the one sport I took, and homeschooled. Call me crazy, but I don't care for most people. My fish have more personality and substance than the majority of kids nowadays. What did you all do for school?

We'll look forward to those links, Dzydvl.

Last edited by defiesexistence; 02-13-2012 at 05:57 PM..
defiesexistence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 01:34 AM   #105
kingfisherfleshy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

I went to two different grade schools in the stevens point area, and was a member of the NOVA program (for "gifted" and "talented" students) before they shut that down.

Went to one of two local JR Highschools, and then went to SPASH. I played football, basketball (got cut), swimming, and ran track.

Sports for me were big, I was also a part of the National Ocean Science Bowl which was kinda fun, but I didnt compete, I just drilled the other kids on fish.