Wisconsin LFS'!!! - Page 4
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Wisconsin

Old 12-21-2006, 06:00 PM   #46
MSU Fan

PTrader: (0/0%)

I thought I would throw out some lfs' in the northeast for those (like myself) who don't reside near Milwaukee or Madison...

In Green Bay
Advanced Aquarium Systems - Decent selection of plants when I was last there, but the fish didn't look all that healthy. Also, their prices were higher than I was prepared to spend.

Aquatic Imports - don't let the outside of the building fool you, this place has an amazing amount of fish (both salt and fresh) with good prices. Unfortunately, they don't really have much in the way of plants for sale.

In Appleton
Pet Connections (located in the Pet Supplies Plus) - Decent selection of fish, usually the plants are covered in algae, so I don't buy plants from there.

Just Pets - decent selection of fish, and ok selection of plants (although they just opened ~5 months ago, so they keep adding new plants). They seem to do well growing the plants, since most are growing out of the tanks. Good pricing, but the employees aren't very knowledgable about plants. Talk to Steve about fish - he is very knowledgable.
MSU Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2008, 10:40 PM   #47
plecoboy

Send a message via Yahoo to plecoboy

You guys should check out Green Bay. Fish Unlimited is great for oddball fish and shrimps. For plants, I go to Advanced Aquarium Systems.
plecoboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2008, 09:37 AM   #48
BTDarters
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via AIM to BTDarters

I'm in Metro-Milwaukee and I have to recommend Aquatics Unlimited on south Hwy. 100 in Greenfield. It's where I go when I need to get something at the fish store.

Brian
Old 06-18-2008, 01:39 AM   #49
pvtschultz
Algae Grower

I have to throw in my opinion. My favorite store is The Fish Factory (92nd and Oklahoma) mainly because it is only 4 blocks from my house, but also since I worked there. Actually, I worked there when the post was made on page one about the crappy display tank and the dyed fish. Steve (the owner) does still buy those mutated fish (he'll try and sell ice to an eskimo) but there are a lot of people (kids) who like them and he is trying to make a living off the store. The tall guy (Brandon) is quite smart but is very quiet and doesn't have a lot to say to strangers. Nicole is Steve's daughter and is very friendly. She has a lot of her father in her and loves to make a sale. There are a couple new people there but I've talked long enough.

A comment was made on page 3 about looking like he quit caring and that is what I had tried to tell him while I worked there. I am happy to say that he has very full tanks now (and store) but has very little plant selection. And it seems as if someone forgot to clean up the dead fish during a previous post. When a new shipment comes in there can be a 25-50 percent dye off. It comes with the trade unfortunately. The prices are fair to good IMHO.

My other favorite store is Aquatics Unlimited on S. 108th St (between Morgan and Beloit). Large selection again the plant selection is a bit limited. Their fish are always in very good condition but their prices can be higher IME.

Hoffer's is an awsome store on the North side, but the drive makes it more of a family adventure (I have an 18 month old that loves fish).

There are a couple other hole-in-the-wall stores out there but nothing great. There is always the Pet World stores which have the best tank prices, but their fish have been hit or miss in my experience.

Funny, I graduated from MSOE with a BSME in 2006. Appears there are at least two of us in here.

Lighting: 220W VHO & 80W NO
Substrate: White Premium Washed Sand (Menards)
pvtschultz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2008, 10:50 PM   #50
prototyp3
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (86/100%)

I won't go to The Fish Factory anymore. The fish didn't seem healthy, there were huge fish shoved into tiny tanks, lots of dead ones, etc. The prices also seemed a bit high.

A sleeper is Petsmart on 76th street. Good prices and health despite the mostly limited selection. (although you can sometimes find stuff like bristlenose plecos and asian rummynose rasboras) It's rare to spot dead fish there. I've also bought over a dozen ottos from there with a 100% survival rate.

My favorite is probably Aquatics Unlimited. If they don't have your fish, they'll order it. And their website is updated daily detailing what they just received in the way of livestock. Really convenient. Prices can be a little high, but discounts for quantity bring them to reasonable marks.

The healthiest plants seem to come from Hoffers. Too bad you usually get a healthy amount of duckweed trying to hitch hike!
Old 12-08-2008, 05:28 AM   #51
Bri Guy
Algae Grower

I made this list for another site, its more reef related, but most also carry fresh/plants

Appleton

A. Petco East
3829 E Calumet St.
(920) 997-1543

B. Petco West
711 N Casaloma Dr.
(920) 731-4867

C. PetSmart
923 N Westhill Blvd.
(920) 991-1263
(no SW livestock)
they sponsor competitor prices

D. Pet Supplies Plus
702 W Northland Ave.
(920) 832-3858
(no SW livestock)
Lots of dry goods
Store hours
7 days a week 9Am-9Pm

E. Just Pets
2929 N Richmond St.
(920) 733-6788
SW and FW, basic dry goods
Decent frozen and live food selection (they have Rods Food)
Store hours
Monday-Saturday 10Am-9Pm
Sunday 10Am-6Pm

F. Aquatic Imports
1117 N. Badger Avenue
920-380-8821
All SW here
Store hours
Friday 12Pm-8Pm
Sat and Sun 12Pm-5Pm

Green Bay

A. Fish Unlimited
1259 S Military Ave
Green Bay, WI 54304
(920) 491-9221

B. Advanced Aquarium Systems
239 N Broadway
(920) 432-6669

C. Petco East
2380 E Mason St.
920-465-1983

D. Petco West
2515 W Mason St.
920-490-0440

E. Pine Street Pets & Supplies
1137 Pine St
(920) 430-7387

F. Reefs Aquatic & Pet Emporium
2733 N. Packerland Drive
920-490-7909

G. PetSmart
825 Pilgrim Way
920-497-1183

north of town (off map)
Wisconsin Water Gardens, Inc.
4910 Veterans Ave
Suamico, WI 54173
(920) 662-7600

Oshkosh

Aquarium Pets
702 Knapp St.
(920) 230-6500

Petco
1935 S Koeller St
920-232-9444

Rivers and Reefs Aquarium Shop
107 N Main Street
Fond Du Lac, WI 54935
(920) 921-7001
Old 12-17-2008, 12:53 PM   #52
rushead

I just hit Hoffer's and Aquatics Unlimited. Both had a decent selection of both fish and plants. Between the two, Aquatics unlimited is definitely the place to go if your looking for plant supplies.
rushead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2009, 07:16 AM   #53
kkafer

Default back in the game

hey just got a new screen name.... i live in eau claire and am looking to increase my planted tank....let me know if someone has some cuttings to trade for some apisto fry or some of my cuttings
kkafer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2009, 02:14 PM   #54
bazil323
Algae Grower

Wow, this thread has been going on a long time, lol. Just registered, but have lurked a bit as I'm starting to seriously get into plants over this winter. Well, okay still low tech, low-medium light but wishing...

I'm in New Auburn. About halfway between Eau Claire and Rice Lake. Work in Rice Lake, so I don't get down to Eau Claire that often. Neither place has much for plants.

Of the two, Pets for You and Tropic Waters are about equal for knowledge, I guess. But Tropic Waters has a better fish selection. Pets has slightly better prices, but it's really small. And not much at all for plants. I asked about getting Flourite sand in black, and he couldn't even find it on the supplier list!

Anyway, nothing to trade at the moment except maybe 6 stems of bacopa monnieri, but it has some red algae (or whatever, not good at IDing plants or algae, lol). Getting some amano shrimp this week, so hopefully they and Excel will help me banish it.
bazil323 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2009, 04:47 AM   #55
prototyp3
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (86/100%)

Update on Aquatics Unlimited on 108th street in Milwaukee: SUCKS!

They recently raised prices across the board.
Amano shrimp $5.99
Cherry shrimp $4.99
ONE dwarf sag $3.99
potted plants $8.99
Hydor ETH 200w heater $99.99

I'm not too please about it. Guess I'm driving a bit further to hit Hoffer's and see how they're doing.
Old 02-17-2010, 01:23 PM   #56
KevinC
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)

Headed to Madison tomorrow for a business trip. Is Living Art still running? The website is being updated/replaced, so only hours/location is there. I could call them, but thought I'd ask here - still worth the stop?

Kevin

72g bowfront planted, CO2, 2x - T5HO, Eheim 2213 and 2013, red tiger lotus, vals, java fern and moss, crypts, swords, mbuna tank: Yellow labs, Ps. demasoni, clown plecos, SAE's.

10g mini-reef. 16lbs LR, green mushroom, star polyps, wagon wheel polyps, purple mushroom, candycane, hammer, other zoas, CUC.
KevinC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2010, 03:09 PM   #57
slapnutz
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

Newer to the forums here, I'm down in Kenosha. We have one store down here, Jim's Aquarium. Nothin special, but a couple good people to talk to there. Mostly common fish, small plant selection, nothing out of the ordinary. We make frequent trips to aquatics unlimited. They have awesome sales going on right now, where every week they pick something in the store to be 40% off for that week. We've been to fish factory, which is not far from them. Pretty cool store, better plant setups. They carry odyssea tanks, which I haven't seen at any other stores before. I have an itch to open up my own store someday in this area.
slapnutz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2010, 04:46 PM   #58
Kayakindude90
Algae Grower

Dr. Fosters and Smiths is in Rhinelander for anybody near there, their fish selection is very limited, as as are their plants, ( one ten gallon with some of the normal plants).
However, they have a great selection of products, and they also have great service.

And for anybody into saltwater, the "divers den" is located there, great selection of saltwater fish and coral. And on selected days throughout the year they offer tours in the aqua-culturing facility where they frag coral and have the saltwater fish.
Its a great place to see rare saltwater fish, (many of them are several hundred dollars and up). The tour is worth the trip.
Kayakindude90 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2010, 12:21 AM   #59
heuk21
Algae Grower

I was at Aquatic Unlimited two weekends ago and their prices are somewhat high. But they do have a great collections of fishes. Up here in Appleton, I do stay away from the LFS as much as I can. Overpriced and so-so quality of fishes.
heuk21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2010, 10:08 PM   #60
RipariumGuy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by heuk21 View Post
I was at Aquatic Unlimited two weekends ago and their prices are somewhat high. But they do have a great collections of fishes. Up here in Appleton, I do stay away from the LFS as much as I can. Overpriced and so-so quality of fishes.
I know what you mean. There is a store in town that I haven't been to yet though, Fish Unlimited. Telling by the window and some phone calls they may be OK.

Anybody else know of a good LFS in the Green Bay area?
Jake
Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3
RipariumGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.