Wisconsin LFS'!!! - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Wisconsin

Old 02-12-2005, 02:16 PM   #16
freeflyer
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

When I first started in the hobby that place on third st. really grabbed my attention with their cheap fish prices and the shark tank, but...... Ive seen sick things their that disgusted me to point of no return, their staff is almost totally clueless to even the basic I refuse to support a store that treats fish like that. If you like aquatics unlimited youll love Hoffers even more they are a perfect example of how things should be run, never a dead fish, much knowlege, plants in almost every tank!
freeflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2005, 03:29 AM   #17
Azimuth
Algae Grower

Well, I took my first trip out to Hoffers today. It's an amazing place. Alligators for Christ sake! Some of the displays in the fish area looked kind of dull while others were nothing short of amazing. Not a dead fish in the store, but I did come across a few artificially colored ones...those fish should be illegal to sell....IMO. Even with the fake fish, it's still the best looking pet store in Milwaukee (if not the state) and it has the largest selection. Hardware prices are a little high. I'm looking to buy an Eheim 2026 canister filter. It's $160 online, $270 at Hoffers, and $300 at Aquatics Unlimited. Fish prices were good...I bought 10 more cherry shrimp...$6 each (5 for $25) compared to Aquatics Unlimited $9 each (4 for $30). I would have bought more, but there were not enough left to get the bulk discount. The fish department looked very understaffed. Everyone was practically running from one customer to another. I was listening to the staff s they were helping people, and even with the hectic atmosphere they still took the time to talk about the customerís aquarium, offer advice, or just listen to people who wanted to brag about their set-up. It's a 30 minute drive for me, but definitely a place Iíll be visiting again soon.
Azimuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 03:17 PM   #18
dissident
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

Between the two... Hoffers & Aquatics Unlimited, Hoffers will have the better prices and better displays IMO.
Zebra Loaches as example were $9each at AU and $6each at hoffers. Both are very well ran stores, and would reccomend either for the MKE area. I know Hoffers will go out of their way to get a paticular fish or plant for you if they can, whenever I ask at Aquatics they just tell me to call on thursday to see if maybe they got some in.
dissident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 05:45 PM   #19
Bob Wesolowski

Animal Adventure on 76th & Grange is doing its best to increase its fish business. Tanks are very clean and they have been running great specials. I spoke with their owner and he will order out if you have a special request.
Bob Wesolowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 03:02 AM   #20
tundragirl
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (95/100%)

Hey new to the site Doesn't anyone live up north?? Shawano not much for lfs except Ace equip very expensive but very knowlegable staff.

If looking for tanks go to Aquarium world in Ocomowoc the sell tanks cheapest i've ever seen.
Old 02-28-2006, 03:07 AM   #21
unirdna
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CYNTHIA G
Hey new to the site Doesn't anyone live up north??
Lots of folks...but, so far, everyone that keeps planted tanks has lived in the "south" . You're right about that Oconomowoc store. Great place to go if you have a tight budget.

ADA 90p - Set up April 2007 - Journal
46g - Terminated March 2007 - Journal
unirdna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 02:38 AM   #22
kennywu

Default Someone else in the EC area

Hey i am also alone over here in eau claire, let me know if you want to trade some plants, i am looking for something short for the foreground of my 40 gal high light heavy planted tank
kennywu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 03:36 AM   #23
unirdna
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennywu
Hey i am also alone over here in eau claire, let me know if you want to trade some plants, i am looking for something short for the foreground of my 40 gal high light heavy planted tank
Kenny, You're about 6 years too late . I escaped UWEC in 2000. Looking for plants in an EC pet shop?!? Your best bet will be to head over to 1/2 moon lake.

Old 03-19-2006, 04:53 AM   #24
j-dawg

I suppose what better place for my first post than to plug a hometown LFS. =) I'm from Madison and I worked at Aquatic Specialties for most of 2005. Great store. Now I do some part time at a new place, Living Art Aquarium on the far west side right across the street from Petsmart. I'd rate it as slightly above average for plants, about the same as Aq-Spec except for a few customers we have that grow crazy hard to find stuff and then bring in their extra cuttings when available. So thanks to them we occasionally have plants I've only previously seen in books.
j-dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 05:58 AM   #25
unirdna
Planted Tank Guru

I've seen Paul's gig. Nice angle on the hobby, and quite a statement opening his store across the street from Petsmart . Now if only I lived on the west side :-|. Last time I was in, there were some fantastic cichlids and rasboras - really specialized stuff. But darn that 30 minute drive.

Old 03-19-2006, 03:11 PM   #26
tundragirl
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (95/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by unirdna
there were some fantastic cichlids and rasboras - really specialized stuff. But darn that 30 minute drive.
I don't know what you are complaining about I have to drive an hour to find anything like that. The lfs by me only carry cheep normal stuff and only about 3 varieties of plants. really boring mostly I order online.
my 2 cents
Cindy

ps when I lived down there I used to drive from east to west for a pair of shoes. got my first tank at a fs on the west side (wish I could remember the name-not far from the mall)
Old 03-19-2006, 05:41 PM   #27
imnappy2
Algae Grower

Send a message via AIM to imnappy2

Kenny,
My hometown is EC and travel back quite often to see the fam. I am always doing something different to the tank so lots of cuttings and what not. And am over loaded with cherry shrimp. Next time I head in I will make sure to bring something for ya. Send me a reply every so often though to remind me.
Old 03-19-2006, 08:49 PM   #28
kennywu

Default Home town trip

Let me know, i have been looking for some shrimp but I cringe when i see them for 3-8 dollars a piece, let me know if you want to swap cuttings sometime
kennywu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 09:18 PM   #29
unirdna
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CYNTHIA G
I don't know what you are complaining about ...when I lived down there I used to drive from east to west for a pair of shoes.
That's not saying much, Cindy. My wife would drive to Mexico for the "right" pair of shoes . But, I hear what you are saying. We City folk do have a habit of complaining with our mouths full . Just don't get all when-I-was-a-kid-we-walked-to-school-though-3-feet-of-snow on me , and I'll stop taking what I have for granted .

Old 04-01-2006, 02:33 PM   #30
hurley0816
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)

is there also a store called aqauriums specialties or something like that? i was in mad town the other day and thought it was aqautic specialties, but thay didnt know anything about plants. where is aqautic specialties?
hurley0816 is offline   Reply With Quote