NJ-Metro NY Plant Club? - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > New Jersey

Old 11-12-2004, 10:16 PM   #16
Momotaro
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)

See your point Andrew, but as you stated, creating a NJ-NY metro area section would really fragment the board.

They're pulling down quite a few of the tolls on the GSP! Now you'll have nothing against the Garden State!

Mike
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2004, 11:51 PM   #17
aquaverde
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

For real? I nicknamed it the throw money parkway when I first came up to NY from VA. Now that would be a real improvement!
Old 11-13-2004, 03:50 AM   #18
Momotaro
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

For real! It was fun chucking coins into the baskets wasn't it?

Mike
Old 11-13-2004, 09:08 AM   #19
aquaverde
Wannabe Guru

Sure was, about every 10 miles whether you need it or not. I'm really surprised it would change since iirc it's a private road.

I came from probably the second largest metropolitan area in VA (second only to metropolitan DC). I've dealt with traffic before. But Jersey completely redefined my idea of traffic.
Old 11-13-2004, 02:59 PM   #20
Momotaro
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

I never heard the GSP was a private road. The tolls on the GSP were enacted to repay the actually construction costs of the road. Something that was done many, many years ago. Thats why people were so annoyed with the tolls.

Mike
Old 11-13-2004, 05:09 PM   #21
George Willms
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

It's a state-owned road. Supposedly the tolls are used for upkeep and maintenance. Also, they are removing some toll booths, but then doubling the charge on the toll on the other side. IE by my job they removed the Raritan NOrth toll booths, but left the southbound ones, where the toll is now $.70 instead of $.35.
Ehfipimp extraordinaire!
Eheim Pimp Club Recruiter, Saergant at Arms, and Enforcer.

29 and 45 gallon. 2026, 2028
My 29 gallon tank
George Willms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 05:47 PM   #22
ming
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to ming Send a message via MSN to ming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momotaro
I never heard the GSP was a private road. The tolls on the GSP were enacted to repay the actually construction costs of the road. Something that was done many, many years ago. Thats why people were so annoyed with the tolls.

Mike
I heard that the tolls already paid the cost of the construction of the roads, but the state has gotten used to having the extra revenue from the tolls which they are now dependent upon it

10G, 2x13W PC AH retrofit, Hagen CO2 Taken down
29G, 1x55W PC AH retrofit, Flourite, DIY CO2 Taken down
10G, 2x10W PC Walmart Screw-ins Cherry Shrimp Tank
29G, 2x65W PC Coralife, Flourite Taken down
2.5G, 2x10W PC Walmart Screw-in Taken down

75G, 2x54W T5, 90lbs Flourite

http://www.mings.info
ming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 01:33 PM   #23
aquaverde
Wannabe Guru

When my grandparent’s house was sold in 1998, I took a trip down to VA to pick up some of the furniture. Rented a 15’ truck, loaded it to the gills, and traveled back to NY. Got off the Jersey turnpike at Exit 11 on the GSP. At the first toll booth, the toll troll told me I was overweight. I wondered how he could tell, since I was sitting up pretty high in the cab. That’s not what he was talking about, though. He told me trucks were not allowed on the GSP, and the fines were pretty stiff if I got stopped for it. He also said the GSP was a private road, so that’s where I got the idea. I drove off the exit immediately after the toll booth into some strange-looking industrial park- no map, never been there before, it was dark and the gas station attendants in the nicest part of town I went through carried sidearms. I believe I was in Newark. Handling a big truck with the rest of the family in the stawag following…this was a little scary. Bars on everything on the buildings at street level. Long story short, I did manage to find an interstate and get home.

New Jersey is always an experience for me. We went back to VA a year ago, and I went a different way, maybe it was Rt. 15, don’t remember. At some point we were in this huge marsh-type area. There were long, elevated bridges/roadways that went through, all sorts of industrial smokestacks in the distance. The juxtaposition of the marsh and industry…a mad landscape…it could have been the inspiration for some sort of post-apocalyptic science fiction. Fascinating.

Back in SE VA toll roads were few and far between when compared to the NE. We did have some though, as there were a lot of bridges built over the years to connect Norfolk/VA beach with Hampton, Newport News, Portsmouth, etc. In 1964, the ferry to Hampton was replaced with a bridge, and the toll was $1.25, significant money for a time when new 3-bedroom brick houses sold for $20,000. You could buy a ticket book and the cost would be 50 cents less. A number of years later, the toll was removed, and not reinstated in spite of the fact that a second span was built to handle the traffic. A toll was instituted on the Virginia Beach Expressway when it was built, but when the time came to remove the tolls, the powers that be didn’t want to do it. IIRC, they claimed to need the money for maintenance. To be fair, they were constantly upgrading and working on that road. Some of the “improvements” were the stupidest waste of taxpayer money I have yet seen (and I’m a former Federal employee!). One of the local radio DJs made it one of his “causes”, and encouraged everyone to use pennies in the exit ramp toll baskets (you weren’t supposed to do that, but they would work). I suppose it became a big enough issue, because the toll was removed.

OK, enough OT. Back on topic- so what’s the limit on this little mail list? Mid-Hudson Valley included? We are probably becoming something of a bedroom community for at least some people who work in the City since 9/11.
Old 11-15-2004, 04:09 PM   #24
pineapple
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (40/100%)

This summer, driving out via the Holland to NJ and Sandy Hook (from NYC), I was iritated by tolls including one which was $0.25c. That's why I almost always head North when leaving the NYC. But I have always been interested in having a trek through the Pine Barrens in NJ.

Andrew Cribb
pineapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 01:17 AM   #25
Momotaro
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

Quote:
I believe I was in Newark.
LOL! Newark by night! Lovely thought.

Mid-Hudson valley? Hey, we are only starting up a mailing list right now. If you want in, you are in! I'd love to have you! You will always be welcome to get together with us when we get to that stage!

Send your email, and I will send out the list to you.

Mike
Old 11-22-2004, 01:25 AM   #26
Momotaro
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

I set up a Yahoo Group and sent out invitations to everyone! Please let me know if you did not get an invitation, and I will send one out to you again.

Here we go guys! As soon as most of us are signed into the group, we can start the fun!

Hurry up! I have some plants I want to offer out through our new network!

Mike
Old 08-11-2005, 02:00 AM   #27
Sudi
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to Sudi

If you are still looking for members than I am available
I will be in NJ till end of this month, than I am moving to Oregon...

Garfield , 07026

Matt.
Sudi is offline   Reply With Quote